Help me choose between headphones please!
Oct 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rifat10467

New Head-Fier
So i'm looking to buy a pair of headphones. 
I did some research and i'm stuck between these two 

Ultrasone 550 and the Audio Technica m50's

Can anyone help me out? Also, which model of the Audio Technica has a detachable cable? 
Also, if anyone has any other suggestions (around the $150 range) let me know please! :D 

Thanksss

*I listen to every kind of music. Nothing too bass heavy though* 

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 9
Dude, get a pair of bose headphones. The bose AE2 outperforms the m50 and pro 550 in every way.

lol just kidding. I used to own the m50, but I found the mids way too recessed. IMO, it's overrated. Amazon is selling the v-moda m80 for around 150 which is in the same price range of these two, and is better IMO. Between the m50 and the pro 550, I haven't heard the pro 550 but I've heard great things about so you should give it a try. Hopefully someone who's heard both will chime in. 

Hope that helps.

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 9
I would prefer on ear over, over ear! 

But i heard Bose is just expensive and the quality isn't as good as these other headphones

The only Bose headphone worth getting is the QuietComfort15s and that's only if you're after the unparalleled noise cancellation. I speak from experience.

I don't really know you're music preferences but based on your choices (the Ultrasones and M50s), I'm going to assume bass is important to you at least to some degree.

If this is the case, I'd highly recommend the Beyerdynamic DT770s or the M80s as mentioned above. You might also want to take a look at the Sony XB lineup.

Cheers

Oct 12, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 9
The M50 cable is not detachable.

If you're listening mostly to instrumental guitar and piano, you probably want a balanced sound signature with good mids. The Shure SRH840 or the KRK KNS-8400 would be better for that than the M50 or Ultrasone. The Koss ProDJ100 might also be worth consideration.

Oct 12, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #8 of 9
I own the Audio Technica ATH M50 so I can only speak to those. They were my first venture into "expensive" headphones (at the time they were more than 3x what I had ever spent on headphones but now I realize they are cheap compared to most audiophile headphones) and I listened to them exclusively for over 3 years. I own the original pair of these cans (white box) and from what I understand the newer version is a tad different. Since I have only heard my pair I will just comment on them.

The Pros: These are over the ear closed headphones which have almost no sound bleed (i.e. people in a quiet area won't hear what you are listening to and they block outside noise quite well). They are easily driven directly from an iPod or iPhone which makes them convenient. The ear cups swivel flat to make them semi portable. I carry them to and from my office every day in my backpack. They are sturdy and can take a beating. I personally think they are great sounding neutral headphones. I've heard the newer versions may have more bass but mine are nice and neutral. I tried to upgrade these headphones multiple times, spending up to $400 on new headphones to replace them. In the end, I always ended up returning the newer pairs because while they sounded a little better, they just didn't justify the added cost. To me that says a lot about the ability of these cans. If this is your first pair of headphones in this price range, you will be thrilled with the new level of detail you are hearing in music you've heard dozens of times before.

The Cons: The fake pleather ear pads will begin to crack after a couple of years. You can buy replacements but just a heads up that they aren't super soft plush leather. Because of the ear pads not being very breathable, they can get a bit hot on your ears after a couple of hours of listening. The headphone cord is not detachable so if it did break you would be in trouble.

All in all, I would gladly recommend these to anyone in this price range. I definetly feel that I got my moneys worth on these guys. It is true that the M50s are probably overhyped and are not THE BEST headphones you can buy, but in this price range these offer a lot and are very solid. I would buy them again in a heartbeat if I were doing it again. If you live anywhere near a Guitar Center, they should carry these in their pro audio section and they will let you try them out with your music source. Listen for yourself there if you can. That is my 2 cents. Hope it helps :)

Oct 12, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #9 of 9
I wouldn't say the M50s are overpriced. They do have a very nice timbre and their bass can satisfy a casual listener. Plus they are very portable and provide decent noise isolation. I was severely disappointed by its midrange but I have the same response with most other headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back