Help me choose a CD player, my first one!
Jan 21, 2010 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Vandal

500+ Head-Fier
I used to consider myself to be a PC-only music/headphone lover till a friend convinced me otherwise. A lot of fellow head-fiers have also suggested that I should consider a source upgrade. I have decided to take people's advice and buy a CD player, most recently on this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/gs1...nfused-467475/

I have a restricted budget, and would like to spend anywhere between 100 and 300$, which I can stretch to a max of 400$. I know it's not much, but it's all I can afford.

My first question is - is a CD player within my mentioned budget worth it, or is my budget too paltry and my computer would give me better quality out of my 320 kbps MP3s and FLACs? If the answer is yes, you have encouraged me to ask the following:

1) The general consensus is that it is better to buy a CD player and a separate DAC. Is this good advice? I had initially planned on the Cambridge DACmagic, since it is available in India with warranty and support and I still plan on this DAC.

2) In lieu of buying a DAC, is it better to buy a cheaper CD player, with a nominal DAC, OR buy a better player, with a better DAC (which I will not be using after I buy a discrete DAC)?

3) Can I fit in a decent/good sounding SA-CD player into this budget? I know this is stretching it, but is it possible? Sony has a 100$ SA-CD player, but I am NOT convinced of its quality. I could spend up to 500$ if buying a SA-CD player.

4) Single CD player or CD changer? I would love a changer, since I like to listen to a custom playlist and I would not like to burn a CD for this, which would defeat the purpose of the player i.e. to play original CDs. Do CD changers have lower quality than single CD players?

5) Any technologies or stuff I need to look at when buying a CD player? Like a checklist. I would like a player with Digital and analog outputs, since I have speakers too, which I will hook up. If there are 2 analog outputs all the better, though this isn't necessary.

Jan 21, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 37
I'd get a DAC so it could be used with a transport or your computer. Whatever you do don't get a CD changer. No, no, no
frown.gif

Jan 21, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 37
^Why exactly?

C'mon guys...advice needed

Jan 21, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by striggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd get a DAC so it could be used with a transport or your computer. Whatever you do don't get a CD changer. No, no, no
frown.gif

Two of my 4 CD players are changers , one (my day to day player) is a Marantz CC4300, I use the optical or coax outputs and it works fine for me. I have had several changers (Rotel, Yamaha and Marantz) , they can be a bit noisy when changing discs but in play they were all nicely quiet , especially the Yamaha, as transports they were all identical to my single disc players. I sit about 18" from my CD player so mechanical noise is immediately noticeable. All were quieter than my cheap Philips DVD player when used as a transport.

YMMV of course...

Jan 21, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 37
I suspected that the mechanism for changing discs might make some noise, but surely it wouldn't affect music playback. Thanks nick_charles for confirming this.

BTW What do you mean by the term "transport"?

Jan 21, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW What do you mean by the term "transport"?

I mean using the player to deliver a digital output to a separate DAC rather than using the player's analog outputs.

Jan 21, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two of my 4 CD players are changers , one (my day to day player) is a Marantz CC4300, I use the optical or coax outputs and it works fine for me. I have had several changers (Rotel, Yamaha and Marantz) , they can be a bit noisy when changing discs but in play they were all nicely quiet , especially the Yamaha, as transports they were all identical to my single disc players. I sit about 18" from my CD player so mechanical noise is immediately noticeable. All were quieter than my cheap Philips DVD player when used as a transport.

YMMV of course...

Years ago I had a Sony changer. Generally I think Sony gear is fine but that player was noisy in operation and I was never convinced it would last that long - so I changed it
normal_smile .gif
Glad your experience has been better. (Very cool avatar BTW!)

Vandal: With your budget I'd focus on the DAC - but that's just what I'd do. Have a look at this thread,

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/cd-question-467722/

Jan 21, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #8 of 37
A used Denon 3910/3930 would be a perfect Universal player for you and it should come in under your max budget. I recently bought a mint condition 3910 (340USD plus shipping) which is a terrific player that can handle just about every disc you might want to play (except Blu-Ray of course).

That avenue (used gear) gives you a far more refined unit for your dollar than buying an entry level player brand new.

Peete.

Jan 22, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #9 of 37
^ I would prefer an audio-only player. I have a nice 30-inch monitor and use that for movies on my PC.

OK an update. I am OK with brands not available in India because the prices here are totally ****ed up. I was quoted the equivalent of 430$ for an Onkyo DX-C390 which is priced at around the 180$ mark. I'm going to try to get something from abroad.

Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha are brands I am looking at. I really like the Onkyo C-S5VL which does SA-CD, but I am so wanting a disc changer, like the Denon DCM 290. Any comments on any of these players?

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #10 of 37
What about the Sony Sony SCD-CE595 and Pioneer Pioneer DV-578A? Both do SA-CD as well. Remember I will be buying a discrete DAC as well. So player will be used as a transport (thank you for that nick_charles!)

Jan 22, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #11 of 37
It sound as if you're interested in continuing to upgrade, If that's the case here's my suggestion.

Get the DacMagic, it's good enough to keep through several equipment upgrades, and for a starter DVD/CD/SACD buy the Yamaha 1800 on Amazon for $80. If you're really not interested in a SACD player skip the DAC for now and buy a Marantz 5003 for $350. The 5003 gets a fair amount of respect here as a transport and a DAC and will last through several amp upgrades. Both the Yahama & Marantz have all to outputs you'll ever want.

Here's a link to the Yahama.
Amazon.com: Yamaha DVD-S1800BL 1080p Upconverting DVD SACD Player: Electronics
Here's a link to the Marantz
http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-CD5003...4181041&sr=8-2

Look around for a lesser price on the Marantz, it can be had for $300, I just don't have any experience with any of the cheaper retailers I found. Good luck.

Jan 22, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #12 of 37
x2 on the Marantz Cd5003!!

Jan 22, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #13 of 37
Since you're also looking for buying GS-1000, I just share my experience with you.

Sony SCD-CE595 is well builded and nice bargain. Its DAC is a little bit cold sounding. You may want to have an amp to tame that cold sound or bypass its DAC.

I use SCD-CE595 with Grado RA-1 for the beginning. The result is satisfying. The output level from CE595 is higher than most of portable sources I used, so this solve the potential underpower problem of RA-1. The warm and musical sound signature mixes well with CE595's cold and analytical sound.

Then I got my Grace m902, at first I just use the amp of m902 and CE595's DAC. The sound is a little bit too cold to me. I finally find the heaven after I decide to bypass CE595's DAC and use m902's DAC. Now the problem is that like most SACD players, CE595 cannot digitally output SACD signal. So the SACD part is now the weakest link in my all system since m902 takes care of most of my different sources but SACD. The cold sound from CE595 and the extremely revealing m902's amp is not a very good synergy.. (m902 reveals the roughness from CE595)

As for CD transport, I think CE595 does its job. For utilizing its SACD capablity, you probably need to find an warm amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the Sony Sony SCD-CE595 and Pioneer Pioneer DV-578A? Both do SA-CD as well. Remember I will be buying a discrete DAC as well. So player will be used as a transport (thank you for that nick_charles!)

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #14 of 37
What about the CA Azur 340c CD player? Is that any good?

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #15 of 37
Maybe I'm wanting everything in one, but it is possible to get SA-CD, CD changer and MP3 playback in one player for my mentioned budget?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back