Help me buy one last pair of 'phones...
Jun 2, 2002 at 10:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm slowly but surely thinking of kicking the habit of buying new 'phones every other month... So, I want one final choice based on the following principles...

I DO NOT want earbuds (sorry ETY lovers) I've got so used to full sized 'phones that I want to stay that way...

Closed would be preferable but NOT essential, I listen in my bedroom, and 90% of my listening time is done whilst my computer is on... so the noise from the fans might play a small part in that decision.

Sound... well, here is the tricky part... Consider the parts that I like:

V6 : Great depth of bass and forward sounding
CD1700 : richness of the vocals and the delicacy of the treble
HD580 : good soundstage, but just too distant for my liking
MDR-F1 : Comfort.

So, I would like (if this is even possible) a pair of 'phones that can acheive a bit of ALL of the above...

If it helps you to know, if I had to give all but one pair of 'phones away, I think i'd choose the CD1700s to keep, whilst not my favourite... i'll be the first to admit that the V6 become very hot, and also fatuiging after 2-3 hours...

We'll give this an open ended budget... after all, if this is my final splash in the pool of audio ecstacy... might as well make it a good one

Oh, and if Grados come up on the hit-list please advise how long you can wear them for before your ears start to bleed, or the 'phones fall off of your head... in either case, with my SR125s that isn't long!

Source? - I'd ideally like to keep it the same as I have now... I have no plans to change it in the foreseeable future (except maybe doing some tube rolling with my amp - but I kinda like it as it is)

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2002 at 11:00 AM Post #2 of 38
So what you want is a combo of the impact the V6s offer + the warm vocals of the CD1700s, and a forward immediate sound? I can't help but think you'd love the Grado RS-1s then, except for the comfort factor.

Jun 2, 2002 at 11:07 AM Post #3 of 38
Duncan: The AKG K240S seems to fit your description, so I'd recommend to give it a try. Maybe you could also ask Tim D and Jude for their opinion...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jun 2, 2002 at 11:19 AM Post #4 of 38
Try the Beyerdynamic 931's or Sennheiser 590's

I have only heard the 590's, but both are reputed to have a presentation somewhere between the typical Grado sound and that of the 580/600. And both should certainly be comfortable for long listening sessions. Personally I prefer the 580's and do not find them as laid-back as most here describe, but to each his own.

Good luck!

Jun 2, 2002 at 11:21 AM Post #5 of 38
Thanks for the speedy replies...

Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
...Grado RS-1...

Vert... I won't rule the RS-1s out, as long as using the 'comfies' wouldn't destroy the sound, like it does on the lower models...

Quote:

Originally posted by lini
...AKG K240S...

Lini...

Looking at the AKG website, all I can see is the K270S, K240DF and K240M... is the 240S a discontinued / rebadged model?

Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
Try the Beyerdynamic 931's or Sennheiser 590's

I'll add the 931s to my 'listen to' list
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Jun 2, 2002 at 1:15 PM Post #8 of 38
Duncan: If you visit www.akg-acoustics.com, there should be a dropdown-box ("Quick Link") right next to the AKG logo in the upper left corner. There you should find the K240S listed as K240 Studio. It's the most recent version of the K240 (new drivers!), which was introduced last Fall (together with the new K141S) - and I'm very fond of it...
biggrin.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: If you try the DT931, you should probably also give the DT531 and the DT990Pro/250 a listen...

Jun 2, 2002 at 1:21 PM Post #9 of 38
580s with the equniox replacement cable. With cable 580s are more forward and better all around sound than with out the cable. The mids are even with the lows and the highs. No need to upgrade any further for headphones.

Jun 2, 2002 at 4:33 PM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
Closed would be preferable but NOT essential, I listen in my bedroom, and 90% of my listening time is done whilst my computer is on... so the noise from the fans might play a small part in that decision.

I think the Audio-Technica ATH-W100 will fit the bill best for your stated criteria without breaking the bank and leaving money left over for an excellent headamp.

Quote:

Sound... well, here is the tricky part... Consider the parts that I like:

V6 : Great depth of bass and forward sounding
CD1700 : richness of the vocals and the delicacy of the treble
HD580 : good soundstage, but just too distant for my liking
MDR-F1 : Comfort.

Bass probably does not extend as low as the V6 but is very full, rich and responsive. The vocals are very warm and smooth yet treble is extended and extremely clear. Soundstage is at least equal to the HD600 but with a more forward sound and exciting quality. It is one of the most comfortable I have worn, especially with the innovative wing-style headband system, although the pads on my HP890 might be a little more comfortable. Its great advantage is its unmatched transparency and timbral accuracy with real instruments yet retaining the uncanny ability to make poor recordings sound great. My RS-1s are also very good in the transparency department, perhaps the equal to the W100 in well recorded CDs but not quite the bass slam/response which the W100 possesses. The RS-1s are very light and comfortable to me as well(much more so than the heavier SR325s) but do not have sufficient soundstage to excel in classical & instrumental music and sounds horrible with the comfy pads from the SR60. Although I may well be in the minority, I find that the bowl pads are the best trade-off for Grados in terms of accuracy.

Quote:

So, I would like (if this is even possible) a pair of 'phones that can acheive a bit of ALL of the above...

We'll give this an open ended budget... after all, if this is my final splash in the pool of audio ecstacy... might as well make it a good one

Oh, and if Grados come up on the hit-list please advise how long you can wear them for before your ears start to bleed, or the 'phones fall off of your head... in either case, with my SR125s that isn't long!
[/B]

If this is your last headphone purchase then I suspect the Sony R10 might fit the bill better than any other headphone, dynamic or electrostatic, for your specific needs if price is no object. Except for slamming bass, I don't think it has many other weaknesses.

Jun 2, 2002 at 10:36 PM Post #13 of 38
I'd try the W100s. Audition them first though. (maybe a member could lend you a pair?)

If the skies the limit, why I believe some r10s may be your bag.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2002 at 11:42 PM Post #14 of 38
Oooh, all these votes for W100s...
smily_headphones1.gif

Does anyone know if Audio Technica have a website? I looked, but couldn't find one
frown.gif

Oh, and as a little sideline note... A very kind person on here has given me first refusal on a pair of ETY ER4Ps...

Contradictory to my initial post where I said I didn't want ETYs... would the ER4Ps do all of what I want from a pair of 'phones?

Thanks

Jun 3, 2002 at 2:58 AM Post #15 of 38
www.audio-cubes.com

That's were you have to order them from. This company gets them from Japan.

I ordered my pair of A55's from them and had them in less than a week, so they are a reputable company.

I recommend AT. I want the W100's now that I have my A55's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back