Help me buy one last pair of 'phones...
Jun 3, 2002 at 3:54 AM Post #16 of 38
Get Grado's. They really impressed me man...

The bass is definitely deep,
The highs are definitely clear
The sould position is definitely great

BUT, they REALLY leak sound, but who cares ? you don't hear much from the outside.

They ain'T particulary comftable at first, but after 2 days of em, they are already better.

Jun 3, 2002 at 3:54 AM Post #17 of 38
I also recommend the W100s.
evil_smiley.gif
if you by any chance pick them up give us a review please.

Jun 3, 2002 at 4:16 AM Post #18 of 38
What do you think of the HD-580s plus the CHA47 vs. the X-Can v2, Duncan?

I ask because if the CHA47 partly solves the "distance" problem for you but just doesn't give you the overall smoothness or whatever that you want, maybe you should instead be looking at ways to tweak your HD-580s instead of getting yet another set of phones. I know this is going to sound biased, but perhaps a META42 amp configured with an Analog Devices op-amp would be up your alley. These will be a very fast combination, and even slightly aggressive, depending on the particular op-amp you choose. This might help remove some of that distance you're hearing. That's why I like op-amps -- so tweakable.

If you're sticking with tubes, then nevermind. I'm not qualified to talk about that at all.
confused.gif

Jun 3, 2002 at 9:03 AM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by tangent
What do you think of the HD-580s plus the CHA47 vs. the X-Can v2, Duncan?

Its a bit of a trade-off, whichever way you look at it... with the CHA47 I get a slightly brighter treble, whereas on the X-Can V2 I get a slightly warmer midrange... the bottom end sounds remarkably similar on both at quiet volumes, but then gets heavier on the CHA47 (lighter on the X-Can) the higher the volume goes up (but bear in mind that MY CHA47 was set up for low ohmage 'phones... So, I don't know how that affects things)... For general listening the CHA47 is better - cleaner... but the X-Can is more... erm, slightly more graceful through the frequencies?! (but... heck, we have to compare the costs of the two amps side by side here!!)

That sounds like quite a good testemant to the JMT (CHA47)... So... Where does the Meta42 sit on that particular fence?

Thanks

Jun 3, 2002 at 9:26 AM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Where does the Meta42 sit on that particular fence?

It'll depend on the op-amp. My current fave is the AD843, which others have said is fairly even throughout the frequencies. I like it because it's quite detailed yet is also very smooth. ppl describes it as "dynamic", and I'd have to agree on that front, too. It's a fun little chip.

That variable level of bass is a little odd. I don't think that would happen with the META42, since it's so tightly balanced -- between the multiloop topology and the buffered outputs, it should keep an even frequency response at all output levels. So again, you're back to tuning by fiddling with different op-amps.

I suppose the AD843 would also help with the treble problem, but that's not a strong point with me. I only worry about treble when it starts vibrating my fillings out with high-intensity ultrasound.
smily_headphones1.gif

On a bet, I'd say your CHA47 is using the Burr-Brown OPA2134. The Analog Devices AD843 completely outclasses the BB chip, IMHO.

Jun 3, 2002 at 9:49 AM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by tangent
That variable level of bass is a little odd. I don't think that would happen with the META42, since it's so tightly balanced -- between the multiloop topology and the buffered outputs, it should keep an even frequency response at all output levels. So again, you're back to tuning by fiddling with different op-amps.

On a bet, I'd say your CHA47 is using the Burr-Brown OPA2134. The Analog Devices AD843 completely outclasses the BB chip, IMHO.

Tangent,

Variable... Maybe I phrased that wrongly... the bass is equal at just below normal listening levels, but then the X-Can seems to drift away... become more focused on the midrange, whilst the CHA47 bass remains at the same level (albeit louder than the X-Can)

And, yes ~ you're quite correct, my CHA47 uses dual OPA2134 ICs

If the META42 can use variable ohmage 'phones (12, 16, 32, 63, 150 & 300) without running into trouble (more especially so for the 12 & 16 ohms) and can be a real powerhouse... my habit of turning things up LOUD is well documented
wink.gif
then please drop me a PM with a costing... I could well be interested if my deal on the ETYs falls through

Oh, and Dohminator... I don't know if my computer is just having a bad day, but that link you gave me for audio cubes doesn't work... says the page cannot be displayed
frown.gif

Jun 3, 2002 at 10:57 AM Post #22 of 38
Duncan,

one more vote for the W100. I wholeheartedly agree with Blighty's description. Just one thing: as I recall, JML, who owns both a W100 and a V6, has stated that the W100's bass response was clearly superior, in terms of both definition and extension. I'd say, it's just exquisitely tuneful.

BTW, Blighty and Neruda, when did you listen to the W100 and whose was it? I am curious whether ample break-in might have had something to do with the fact that your impressions have been positive right away.

Dohminator's URL is wrong (btw, I am very glad that you enjoy the A55!
smily_headphones1.gif
). www.audiocubes.com should work.

Jun 3, 2002 at 11:08 PM Post #23 of 38
I listened to a pair owned by fellow member hokiefritz. we listened to them (along with kwkarth) through the Headroom Max, Sugden Headmaster, SAC K1000, and even my CHA47. while not accurate, they were extremely enjoyable to listen to and very beautiful as well! I'd certainly like to buy a pair eventually, to compliment my AKGs. They were very forward-sounding to me, quite the opposite of the HD600. The midbass and midrange were very warm, but in no way offensive. In comparison, I find the midbass warmth on the HD580 and HD600 to be offensive: I do not enjoy it. I enjoyed the sound of the W100.

Jun 4, 2002 at 10:36 AM Post #24 of 38
The Portland connection, I should have guessed it, Neruda.
smily_headphones1.gif

hokiefritz has had his W100 since late February, as far as I know. I think that's one reason why the W100 has been able to use all its charms when you listened to it.

Jun 4, 2002 at 2:11 PM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Tomcat
Just one thing: as I recall, JML, who owns both a W100 and a V6, has stated that the W100's bass response was clearly superior, in terms of both definition and extension. I'd say, it's just exquisitely tuneful.

I am surprised that you find the W100 superior in response and extension in comparison to the V6. Its bass certainly is well defined and very substantial compared with most headphones.

Quote:

BTW, Blighty and Neruda, when did you listen to the W100 and whose was it? I am curious whether ample break-in might have had something to do with the fact that your impressions have been positive right away.

I have had mine since late April. A kind fellow head-fi member obtained a pair on my behalf for a great price. I even managed to avoid customs/taxes once again
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2002 at 4:41 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

I am surprised that you find the W100 superior in response and extension in comparison to the V6.

No no, Blighty, this is hearsay. I don't know the V6. I have never heard it. The following is a comment by JML:

Quote:

After a short while you'll listen to the Sony, compare them, and probably just laugh. My V6 sounded as if it had deeper bass than my brand new W100 when played via the soundcard as soon as I got them (just like you). But when I connected the W100 to a real source, even the D-25S without an amp, there was absolutely no comparison. The Sony goes down deep, but bass notes all sounded as if they came from the same instrument -- with the AT, you can clearly distinguish the instruments, not just the cycle of the tone.

Before I got the W100, my reference standard for bass reproduction in headphones had been the Beyer 770 Pro. I'd still say it has slightly more extension than the W100 when driven by the EMP, but that's it. From about 30 Hz on up, the W100 is clearly superior. It has better definition, tightness, impact, slam, and tunefulness. It's simply more musical. Kwkarth feels that the Beyer 250-80 has deeper and more accurate bass response than the V6. And I know that the 770 Pro easily beats the 250-80 in terms of extension and slam.

As I said, I am convinced that break-in plays a major role in the W100's performance. Bass extension and slam of my W100 still improved after more than 200 hours of use (and I regularly compared it with the 770 Pro). It's possible that your W100 hasn't reached its full potential yet. Would be nice if it kept improving, wouldn't it?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2002 at 2:36 AM Post #27 of 38
What are the highs like on the w100's compared to say grados? I want phones with impactful lows as well as better detail and highs then my current headphones. Hey, its only money neways.. :p

Biggie.

Jun 5, 2002 at 5:37 AM Post #28 of 38
I've been thinking about the original question, and...

It can't be done.

We can't remove your doubt. If we tell you what the greatest headphone in the world is, and you get it, eventually, there will come a time when you will doubt.

You must do this on your own.

I'm sorry.

frown.gif

Jun 5, 2002 at 5:39 AM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
What are the highs like on the w100's compared to say grados?

I would definitely liken the W100's to Grado's. A very "up-front" sound. But I'm usually a laid-back guy, so this is coming from the wrong person.

Jun 5, 2002 at 6:18 AM Post #30 of 38
yes, very forward. I think they might have a peak where the HD600s have a dip!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back