Help me build an RS-1 set up ~$1000
Feb 1, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #31 of 41
aww that would have been perfect, i just checked the whiplash audio site and they're out of stock
frown.gif
should i wait around for that or is there anything else i should check out? i also have no problem buying used here, so if that helps open up any options based on price that'd be cool too

Feb 1, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by beez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aww that would have been perfect, i just checked the whiplash audio site and they're out of stock
frown.gif
should i wait around for that or is there anything else i should check out? i also have no problem buying used here, so if that helps open up any options based on price that'd be cool too

Is the Head-direct EF1 still on sale for $299 - that is a good amp for RS-1, D2000/5000, Edition 9, ESW10, etc... and is my other top pick over the Millett but it costs more than your $250 limit. They also have an amp called the A-3 that Skylab says is very good for $250, but he doesn't have any Grados when he reviewed it and I don't know if it is a tube hybrid which is what you want for the extra current output capabilities (or a transformer coupled amp like WA6).

In non-tube amps, the Firestone Cute Beyond SS amp with stock opamps is nice with RS-1, but the Travagans Red with OPA627 opamps added to it is even better. Both are under $200, but I still prefer a nice tube hybrid with the RS-1. These two SS amps will be up to the level of the Duet headphone out with RS-1, and cheaper because they have no DAC.

Feb 1, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #33 of 41
you might want to consider another option - and that is amending the phone you're searching for. the grado rs-2 is a wonderful, often overlooked, can that some folks prefer over the rs-1. it's also a bit less expensive thereby freeing up your funds for some of the other gear that's been mentioned in this thread. also within this family is the alessandro ms-pro, reportedly a modified version of the rs-1, which is a really nice phone, and more tonally accurate than the rs-1 (perhaps something that can be said of the rs-2 too).

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #35 of 41
yeah the ef1 is still $299, i think i can probably go with that. and i know the rs1 deserve better amps, but i'm a college student with limited funds coming from sr60s, so this will be a pretty significant upgrade.

davederek- i actually pulled the trigger this morning on the rs1, i figured the headphones would be the most important thing and i can just upgrade my other stuff later. i have heard good things about the ra-1 but i really like the look and what i've heard about tube amps so i wanna give that a shot. i think maybe i'll go with the ef1 unless something nice comes along used in the FS forum. hmmm..

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by beez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i actually pulled the trigger this morning on the rs1, i figured the headphones would be the most important thing and i can just upgrade my other stuff later.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

Right ON!

wink.gif

Feb 5, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #38 of 41
I recently bought a pair of RS1's, and currently only have a pico to use them with, and I am enjoying them immensely. They have a lot more PRAT than the HD650's I also own, but I feel the oversampling of the pico exaggerates a slight harshness/shrillness that the grado's have (I cant stand the 325i's with the Pico).

I am trying to absorb all of this amp information, having briefly owned a Little Dot 2+, tubes are great
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #39 of 41

Users who are viewing this thread

Back