Help me build a rig around my DT880, budget 500$
Jul 25, 2007 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

zsevgymko

Head-Fier
Hi to all,
I bought one of the last DT880 (2003) in January and I like it's sound signature. I use it straight from the integrated headphone amp of my soundcard - M-Audio Revo 5.1. It is ok both as a source and an amp, especially if I only had K81Dj, but I feel it doesn't do justice to DT880. Well, I want to upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif

I read a lot about different dacs and amps, but still can't make my mind. My first idea was stock Zhaolu + Arietta. Next I researched Presonus CS, but it seems it isn't available in 220V. Then Musiland MD10, Citypulse, Lite Dac Ah, Lite Dac AM, Monica 2, Xin SuperMicro IV, Xin Reference... I also wonder what will yield bigger improvement - a 400$ DAC with decent integated head-amp OR a 200$ DAC and a 200$ AMP? My last idea was: monica II + Xin SuperMicro/Reference. I really don't need a portable amp with batteries, but I got the impression that SuperMicro is better in SQ than similarly priced home amps.
I don't like the idea of only buying an amp as my source really needs upgrade, I think. What do you suggest? Dac or Dac + Amp, home or portable amp, best synergy with DT880? Any oppinions are most welcomed and needed.

Jul 25, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by zsevgymko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my source really needs upgrade, I think.

If you don't have much money, I think you should make sure before spending it. This stuff tends to be very personal... I'd gladly drive my Beyers with a cheap source. Some people claim to hear huge differences between sources but most people don't.

If you want an amp, I can certainly recommend Dr. Meier's designs.
Again, I wouldn't mind using a much cheaper amp (I'm using my soundcard's amp right now).

Jul 25, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't have much money, I think you should make sure before spending it. This stuff tends to be very personal... I'd gladly drive my Beyers with a cheap source. Some people claim to hear huge differences between sources but most people don't.

Well I really think I need to upgrade both my source and my amp. Reason for the source - I think I'm missing a lot from DT800 resolving qualities, further on, in almost all recordings I don't find differences between MP3s ( and I mean 128 and 192kbs !) and Flac, I don't think that is a good sign. In a little more expensive speakers rig I've listened to, the difference was evident. Reson for the amp - If not anything else, I have volume problems, 10/10 isn't enough for some quieter recorded classical music. Most of my music I listen at 8/10, 9/10.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherepashka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't find better amp for around 200$ for DT 880 than Lunchbox (1st gen).
Also for remaining 300$ - try to find Cambridge audio CDP.

LunchBox is tube, right? I forgot to say in the first post that I don't want tube amps. Tubey sound from SS is ok though
smily_headphones1.gif

As for the the Cambridge CDP, I have thought about that at one point. Do you think it will have better SQ than the Dacs in its price region?

Thank you both for your comments

Jul 25, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #5 of 26
What about ss sound from tubey, cause Lunchbox haven't any pronounced "tubey sound", it sounds kinda SS.
I think yes, because if you gonna using DAC, you sorta linked to computer right? Getting rid of Pc in your rig is always a good thing. Campridge audio is almost miracle whrn in comes to SQ in this price range.

Jul 25, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #6 of 26
Start with an EMU 0404 USB for a DAC. At the $180 range, it's a very good value. It also has a built in headphone amp, but adding another one can't hurt.

Jul 25, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #7 of 26
Out of all the amps under $500, I would say the best amp is the Music Fidelity X-Can v3. I havnt actually heard the amp myself, but from what Ive heard about it, it's still the best amp for the money and it sounds really good.

Jul 25, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #8 of 26
for tubes, an LD2++ ($200) or one of the newer models, which are a little more. for solid state, a Gilmore Lite would be a good option. or a Corda Aria, which has a built in DAC. should be able to find the latter for around $360 used.

Jul 25, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you want an amp, I can certainly recommend Dr. Meier's designs.
Again, I wouldn't mind using a much cheaper amp (I'm using my soundcard's amp right now).

Ugh, what sources are you talking about? And what people?

Jul 25, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #12 of 26
Corda Aria you say, but from all I've read it seems to be a good quality amp with *some* dac as a bonus. Can it compete with standalone dacs around 200$ ? Will it be a real upgrade from my current source? Also, in general, I prefer to buy dac which is not USB, but to go optical from soundcard, that also concerns EMU 0404 USB.

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #13 of 26
I am in the EXACT boat as you - it's as if you're speaking through me on this one.

I just recently purchased a dt880 (250ohm) and I'm looking for a non-USB dac, and a great amp for about $500 too!

Currently I'm eyeing the Corda Arietta, but I haven't made up my mind on the source yet. I'll keep you posted.

ANY suggestions would be VERY helpful guys!

Oct 22, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #14 of 26
I went with the Little Dot MKII for my set... and I absolutely love it. Go as far up the line as you can afford, and you won't be disappointed!
wink.gif

Oct 25, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #15 of 26
ANyone know where to order a Corda Arietta in Canada? Our dollar is sucking now - worst time to buy from the US!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back