help me build a pc
Nov 10, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #46 of 81
Do you have a back-up of everything on your hard drive? If so have you thought about restoring or reformatting it to see if that takes care of the problem. Last time my mac flaked I did a complete restore and put everything back on it as before. been running fine since. I know it's a pain but it might just do the trick.

Nov 10, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #48 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman
Do you have a back-up of everything on your hard drive? If so have you thought about restoring or reformatting it to see if that takes care of the problem. Last time my mac flaked I did a complete restore and put everything back on it as before. been running fine since. I know it's a pain but it might just do the trick.

i'd like to try that. all i have on my computer is some word documents etc. so i suppose i could just re-format the whole thing. do you think it's a good idea?

Nov 10, 2004 at 2:11 AM Post #49 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman

i just realized i have microsoft office suite on my mac and i don't have the cd-rom's. is there some way to copy this or something? i would think it wouldn't fit on a cd-rw. yes? no?

Nov 10, 2004 at 3:41 AM Post #52 of 81
Read the descriptions: it explains.

There may be other things that I missed - but a cursory glance shows that the s2 has only 10/100 LAN while the S2G has 10/100/1000. The NF7-S (the most expensive one) also adds Firewire support and Soundstorm.

EDIT: Get the cheap one. You don't need soundstorm or gigabit lan. Is firewire worth 20 bucks to you? you can probably get an add-in card cheaper....

Nov 10, 2004 at 3:50 AM Post #53 of 81
I would at least give it a shot. Get out the installer discs and burn over that sucker completly and re-format the sucker. If it fixes your problem then there's no need to spend money on a new one... unless you have the itch. If it doesn't fix it then you have a choice again of either buying a new one or sending in the iBook for repairs... which I'm sure is expensive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
i'd like to try that. all i have on my computer is some word documents etc. so i suppose i could just re-format the whole thing. do you think it's a good idea?

Nov 10, 2004 at 4:12 AM Post #54 of 81
could someone make a reccomendation for ram?

i think i'll get 512mb ram. companies to pick? where to get it? pc2700?

i'm looking to get basically everything at newegg.com. let me know if i should look somewhere else

Nov 10, 2004 at 4:30 AM Post #56 of 81
Quote:

i just realized i have microsoft office suite on my mac and i don't have the cd-rom's. is there some way to copy this or something? i would think it wouldn't fit on a cd-rw. yes? no?

Macintosh software will not work on a PC. You can copy the documents over (like archosman suggested by burning them to a CD) but not the applications.

I don't know very much about RAM but as long as you get RAM that is sufficiently fast I don't think that it matters much for anyone who isn't overclocking.

Nov 10, 2004 at 5:02 AM Post #57 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
Macintosh software will not work on a PC. You can copy the documents over (like archosman suggested by burning them to a CD) but not the applications.

I don't know very much about RAM but as long as you get RAM that is sufficiently fast I don't think that it matters much for anyone who isn't overclocking.

actually, that's not what i meant. i was just trying to figure out how to copy the office suite for mac, so i could reformat my ibook hd

Nov 10, 2004 at 5:37 AM Post #59 of 81
looks like i'm really on the right track

couple more devolopments: i'll get a vid card with tv out and a wireless keyboard/mouse. then i can switch through songs in my chair looking directly at my tv

Nov 10, 2004 at 7:35 AM Post #60 of 81
Quote:

i see two different mobile athalon xp 2400 cpu's. are they similar?

For the Athlon XP Mobile 2400+, theres a 35 watt model and a 45 watt model . You can go with either, though Id say go for the 35 watt model since it wont create as much heat and doesnt cost much more.

For a motherboard, the NF7 is a great choice that I myself am running right now. You wont need the NF7-S; it offers the better Soundstorm audio chip, Serial ATA support, and firewire, none of which it seems you would need.

For memory you should go with either Mishkin or Crucial memory, at least 512 MB of 2700 or better speed.

For your videocard, AGP is the type of card. I would recommend ATI's All in wonder line of video cards, since theyre designed to be used to export audio and video to other systems.

The wireless keyboard and mouse are a perfect complement to the system. You want to look into Logitech, as they sell various wireless options, including one that is bluetooth based.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back