Help me accomplish something that NEEDS to happen.
Jul 8, 2007 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

xinoxide

500+ Head-Fier
im trying to convince DJ Alex Liberatore (owner of dynamix miami recording studio), my boss, that we NEED a rudistor amp..

namedly this one:
http://www.rudistor.com/NX01.htm

but he refuses, what do i need to do for him to get this? im tired of plugging my beloved prolines into a mackie bigknob, my zunes HP out sounds better from MP3's.

Jul 8, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 21
try to convince him to buy a different amp, one that's not international, and has very good reviews and would be good sounding for a studio setting (the lehmann black cube linear and GS-1 have been used in studios before, for example). i'm not knocking the rudi, but i think convincing him of a more conservative choice might ease his mind a bit.

Jul 8, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 21
well, rudi's seem to be the definative word on clean neutral signal(ideal for a rent out studio where people pay to work on whatever music they want by the hour). this month we have an $11,000 budget and nothing to spend it on. we dont spend our money on ourselves until the entire studio is complete.

currently alex, and many of the in-house producers are undergoing collage, so not until the end of next year do we move to a house, where we can hack it to hell, and install things such as an isolation booth.

having a protools HD|3 DAW, with a triplet of 192io's just makes NO SENSE whatsoever to me, running all of those through a mackie bigknob, the mackie has a low/mid level noise shelf, sure its got loads of buttons and a foot pedal! but when it comes down to quality control testing unmixed tracks, yeah right.

any other amps that supply signal so clean and maintain the same level on neutrality? ill mention such things to him, but i need to get him into buying crap we can actually use, the man already owns 10 numark TTX1's and for what reason i have no idea. hes a smart guy, but that doesnt stop the "hey look im a cool DJ guy" mentality. he even went as far as buying an allen and heath xone:464 6x4a analog club mixer($10,000 mixer)

its not really about the piece of gear i want him to get for the studio, its about getting him to pay attention to what the studio needs, and not so much on how he looks as a DJ. anything you think i could say to this rich snob to get his mind on the right track, id appreciate it. i dont want this studio to turn into a mini club with a $5 cover charge and room for only 20 people, i love the idea that its $80 an hour to rent the studio, i like the idea of working with talented people, and being part of a potentialy released track.

heres our last release, not the best, few years old, recorded and produced using protools LE, back when producers and studio owners first got totgether, i built the DAW, i have a total of 8 days sit in giving a small amount of feedback on these tracks.

http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/...i%20get%20deep

Jul 8, 2007 at 8:13 AM Post #4 of 21
Frankly, I'm more than a little surprised that anyone who's as drop dead gorgeous as you needs to do anything more than wink and and throw him a little kiss. Is he blind?

Jul 8, 2007 at 8:42 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Frankly, I'm more than a little surprised that anyone who's as drop dead gorgeous as you needs to do anything more than wink and and throw him a little kiss. Is he blind?

Or he could just be "smart" and isn't swayed by the cheap femme fatale tricks.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 8, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #6 of 21
Hi
the answer is yes (imo).... the dynamight, the B22, and the GS-X all epitomize what it means to be clean and neutral.

in any case, you got a point about the SQ. the bignob looks to me like nothing more than a glorified pre-amp and source selector.... and there are more than enough audiophile/studio grade products that can take over that job.... even if they don't have all the cool LEDs and such. (example: http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1188951716)

Jul 8, 2007 at 9:20 AM Post #7 of 21
methinks the studio needs an Apogee MiniDAC. great headphone out, and Apogee is well known in studio circles, no? oh, also a Grace m902 - lotsa good Studio press.

Jul 8, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

shwa?

hope your not confused by my avatar, shes a character in the half life 2 games named Alyx Vance.
http://guides.gamepressure.com/halfl...x/skin/box.jpg

lol, im going to mention the grace m902 to him. see what he says, hell probably be a little more tempted to get it with it being available through sweetwater. (where most of his studio comes from)

i hope he goes for it. im tired of the bigknob.

Jul 9, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #11 of 21
I know a few pro musicians who have home studios and they use the Apogee mini dac because they say they had it suggested by other musicians.

A good sign....?

Jul 9, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #12 of 21
Protools HD|3 studio, inputs outputs and everything else are completely taken care of. we just REALLY need an amazingly clean and accurate amp for headphone monitoring. the headphone out on the mackie just does not cut it at all.

Jul 10, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #13 of 21
Instead of trying to convince him of the thing that you really want, that you believe will make the studio better (or you happier?), try to put together a list of all of the studio's deficiencies and then sit down with him to priortize them.

By doing this, it's not about getting the Rudistor, but about getting a better HP amp (maybe one of granodemostasa's excellent recommendations with which I totally agree).

Now, you may not be able to convince him that the HP amp is at the top of the priority list, but I think taking that approach might give him the sense that you are really only trying to do what's best for the business.

And who knows, in the end you may actually end up with the Rudistor.

Jul 10, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #14 of 21
he is a big fan of rudistor amps. i think the real problem is his own mentality, how can one possibly manage a mix on 10 numark TTX1's?

Jul 10, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #15 of 21
in all honesty, if you guys actually have 11K to spend, and that is the main source you are using... then the rudistor should be the last of your concerns. The pre/selector also needs to be replaced. Even if you get that rudistor, that's not going to help if the source is subpar/distorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back