Help me accomplish something that NEEDS to happen.
Jul 10, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #16 of 21
we have a few preamps.

2 bluetube pre's from the beginning of the studio's life, wich still gets some use depending on the recording,

a universal audio 6176 used mainly for vocals,

as well as a digidesign-pre

we seem to be well off in the preamp department.

a great loadout of damn good mics, including a royer R121

right now, the mackie is pretty well isolated from the rest of the system. its basically on a monitor out from one of the 192io's wich is all controlled on the DAW. so the replacement for the mackie im trying to get, is basically only for monitoring porposes ( headphones and monitor lineouts ).

a rudi would be great because it has the passthrough and is an excellent amp

Jul 10, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #17 of 21
oh, excellent... i thought the mackie was at the center of the system or something. if you want, get a rudi then.

Jul 10, 2007 at 12:12 PM Post #18 of 21
any of the rudi's fit well in a rack? even if it were to sit on a rack shelf, thats basically all the room we have for it too. ill see if i have any older pictures to show how the studio is laid out.

Jul 11, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #19 of 21
Some of the Rudistor balanced amps are also preamps, and very good ones, and all of them, are far better sounding than the Grace as preamp and headphone amp...

About the rest they are all good options, all is up to the personal preference of the user, and the wallet...

A picture will be good to know the space you have available, but I do not advice you to enclose any Class A amp in a rack sorrounded by other gear, at least not with enough space to let it breath, not Rudistor not any other, Class A amps get warm, and need ventilation...

Jul 11, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #20 of 21
our racks are actively vented.

102651137285_3300_1.jpg

only image i have of how its currently setup, only differences are the 17" LCD's were replaced with 2 more 19" LCD's

the top rack has a 2U space available, and the bottom rack has a 1U space available, both of these mobile racks are actilevely vented at the top and bottom.

we havent yet had the budget for a complete mixing board, the board also doesnt make sense when we dont have the proper space for it. but once alex finishes collage, studio's moving to a house so we can build an isolation booth and put the board up against the window :]

Jul 11, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #21 of 21
The pic is really dark, and is hard to see the space that way, but anyway if you are planning to mount it on the rack, I do not think that you will find too many options around here, you need a pro amp, with ear for rack mounting.

Now if you just want to drop it inside the space, and squeeze it there, the cases Rudi uses are really slim and will fit...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back