Help! Looking for absurd, bombastic bass for dubstep/hip hop
Jul 13, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #31 of 44
Portishead sounds pretty decent with my 780s, although I will say they need a good amp to achieve that. Never had any experience with "one note subs" although I have had plenty of experience with dynamic, loud, and accurate subwoofer setups in cars, and while the "My brain's vibrating!" sensation isn't there, the 780s do get pretty low. Not authoritative 30hz low, but they're pretty good.

They also, to my ears, have very good detail.

Jul 13, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #32 of 44
i think too much people here are overlooking the OP. Im in a similiar field. If you've ever been to dubstep live, or some dnb, or most electronic acts you know what it feels like. its great that you can appreciate your music without heavy bass, but dubstep especially is not good without the bass.

/end blahg

Jul 13, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Second on the D2000, it has plenty of bass to go around.

Are you (or anyone else) able to compare it to the two pair of cans I own, Sennheiser HD280s and Grado 225s, in very basic terms of highs mids lows amp need?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomikans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've learned to love my dnb without getting bass heavy phones and to appreciate the quality of the other parts of the spectrum. 414 pads benefit greatly for bass.

If i'm in need of bass, i'll just turn on my speaker setup. Though i haven't heard a phone that had crazy absurd bass without overlapping everything else.

I can to a certain extent, but I still need significantly more than both my 280s and 225s. The 225s are getting a little better with each listen but they're not gonna just "boom" one day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonicLemming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Portishead sounds pretty decent with my 780s, although I will say they need a good amp to achieve that. Never had any experience with "one note subs" although I have had plenty of experience with dynamic, loud, and accurate subwoofer setups in cars, and while the "My brain's vibrating!" sensation isn't there, the 780s do get pretty low. Not authoritative 30hz low, but they're pretty good.

They also, to my ears, have very good detail.

Do you know of any good 780 reviews? Again, how do they compare to what I own?

Thanks again all.

Jul 13, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riggaberto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know of any good 780 reviews? Again, how do they compare to what I own?

I think Skylab did a review on them, then there's a thread here on the first page, "What's the story on the 780s" or something like that.

Need plenty of burn-in time, recable doesn't hurt. but they're supposed to have relatively more bass than most other headphones discussed on here, sharp highs (I personally enjoy them because I'm a metalhead, but they've been called severe and harsh on here, also), decent mids, although a bit recessed.

I couldn't personally comment on the comparison as I've only heard 780s and PL2500s, both of which I own. However, I've seen it said that people who like the Grado "right there" style (the 780s are very direct in musical presentation, not laid back or casual at all) and the pronounced highs of Grados would like the 780s. The 780s do benefit greatly from a good amp. At least to me. It calms the bass down - doesn't really decrease it, just reins it in to a more controlled fashion - and allows the phones to be pretty detailed. That's with my solid-state, haven't tried them with a tube amp yet.

Jul 13, 2008 at 9:43 AM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Are you (or anyone else) able to compare it to the two pair of cans I own, Sennheiser HD280s and Grado 225s, in very basic terms of highs mids lows amp need?

I can only compare the D2000 to the HD280 Pro because I only have that one with me and I have never heard the Grado. Basically, to sum it up, the D2000 wipes the floor against the HD280. The HD280 just sounds so boring after trying the D2000. EVERYTHING is better on the D2000, simple as that. On bass impact, If I have to rate them on a scale, the D2000 would get a 10/10 and the HD280 would get a 4/10.

Jul 13, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Are you laughing with me or at me, haha?

And which model? So far I've seen:
770 "Pros" 250 ohms
770 80 ohms
779 m 80 ohms

The latter is much more expensive than the others, so presumably there are important differences....right?

-The DT 770 Pro 250 has a lot (too much) of treble energy, same bass as pro/80
-DT770 Pro has a more friendly treble, and lots of bass
-DT770 Pro M is designed for drummers, they have a strong clamping force on your head.

My advice is to go for the DT770 pro 80 ohm, more bass than than the Denon D2000. I heard both.

Jul 13, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #37 of 44
+1 on jvc victor m1000, the bass seems to extend pretty low and stays pretty detailed. imo great bang for the buck (got them in japan, dunno what import cost is like) (i also have very little experience with headphones, my best prior headphones being panasonic rp htx7's and px100's)

i also thought portapros were pretty bassy, esp for open phones. i have some senn 212pros or whatever. nothing but muddy bass. meh

Jul 13, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #38 of 44
Oh, I forgot. There's also a BeyerDynamic DT770 2005 consumer edtition. But they have a much more controlled and tight bass, which doesn't go as deep as the Pro ones. I don't think you want these.

Jul 13, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #39 of 44
go for the dt770 80ohm version and avoid the "M" version like the plague.

Jul 13, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-The DT 770 Pro 250 has a lot (too much) of treble energy, same bass as pro/80
-DT770 Pro has a more friendly treble, and lots of bass
-DT770 Pro M is designed for drummers, they have a strong clamping force on your head.

My advice is to go for the DT770 pro 80 ohm, more bass than than the Denon D2000. I heard both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, I forgot. There's also a BeyerDynamic DT770 2005 consumer edtition. But they have a much more controlled and tight bass, which doesn't go as deep as the Pro ones. I don't think you want these.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
go for the dt770 80ohm version and avoid the "M" version like the plague.

Just to be clear, you all are recommending this particular model?

Believe me, I am going to try my best not to buy them at guitar center, that link was readily availible.

I'm also going to call around to see where I can try some Denon 2000s

Jul 13, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

Just to be clear, you all are recommending this particular model?

Yes.
Well it least I do, but there were more recommendations for other bass heavy phones.
And I'm sure you can get the DT770/80 a lot cheaper.
Look for example at the for sale section at Head-fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back