Help! Looking for absurd, bombastic bass for dubstep/hip hop
Jul 12, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #17 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do the dt770s have decent mids? thats the question now

I always thought that the DT770 have decent mids. I don't understand all that recessed mids talk. To my ears, the mids are just fine.

Jul 12, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #18 of 44
Quote:

flat pads are gonna give a boosted midbass but nothing close to bombastic. I'm thinking the OP wants bass similar to a BOOM truck with 18" subs
biggrin.gif

Oh ok, he wants the three 8" economy woofers crammed onto a box with 1 cu. ft. in the trunk of a car sound! That can easily be acheived with the stock DT770's. In my opinion, there's nothing much else about the DT770's sounds besides bass. Sure, you might be able to hear mids and highs but you'll be so distracted by the bass that you won't care. haha
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #20 of 44
The first thing I thought of: Dt770's. The bass impact is great for drum and bass. Really. When my friend first got the dt770's I gave him, he told me he was getting headaches from how much the bass impact was hitting him!(This aint the first time I've heard of that). Also, the dt770's mids are just fine for hip hop, where the last ounce of subtly and grace aren't needed as much as one would require for something like jazz vocals. The bass amount, however, was a little too much for drum and bass imo. It was like adding an already bassy sound signature to an already bassy musical genre - just too much.

My second recommendation is the JVC Victor HP-M1000. These are what I consider the middle ground headphones...mids and highs reminiscent of the dt880's, with bass impact and amount approaching the dt770's, albeit being a lot more high quality in general. While the dt770's mids were good enough for hip hop's rhyme spitting for that intellectual tickle, the M1000's mids are good enough to do justice to the likes of jazz vocals' eargasmic qualities. Also, while the bass impact on the M1000 isn't quite as strong as the dt770's, the bass amount is just perfect, at least for the genre of drum and bass that I listen to(liquid funk). HOWEVER, I'm not a big listener of dubstep, so my opinions on how a headphone should play that genre probably wouldn't be as definitive as from a fan of dubstep itself. Another thing to note is that while the Dt770's bass is subwoofery, the M1000's bass actually sound more like real bass. So in the end, the dt770's might be the one that brings more fun to the table. The last thing I want to say that in the overall scheme of things, the HP-M1000 is high-end(details, frequency extension and response, airiness), while the dt770s are mid-fi.

All IMO of course!
tongue.gif

Jul 12, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #21 of 44
Quote:

do the dt770s have decent mids? thats the question now

No they most definitely do not.

I tried the 770/80's recently at a local music store and was not impressed at all. Sure they have bass, but to my ears it was one note subwoofer in the trunk style bass. Not at all what I would like when it comes to listening to electronic music. The mids were barely decent IMO, and the highs a bit shrill and bright. They can't even begin to compare with a good pair of RS-1's with flat pads.

A few weeks ago I purchased a pair of Ultrasone PL750's from a head-fier and have been pretty impressed so far. They definitely have a slightly recessed midrange as well, but nothing like the 770's. Then again, I am comparing all these new cans I've been trying to my knowledge of the Grado sound and it's quite difficult for any headphone to compete with the higher end Grado midrange, at least to my liking. The bass is quite excellent and goes very deep, I'd say deeper than the 770's. The only thing the bass of the 770's has over the PL750's is the booming resonant quality, however it overshadows the rest of the sound spectrum to an extent and I don't like anything masking the mids and highs.

To the OP, I would suggest you give the PL750's a try. If you like the Grado sound but would like extra bass this would probably be a perfect phone for you. It obviously doesn't have that lush, possibly exaggerated, amazing Grado midrange, but it is very, very close and definitely has the extra bass that you desire. If I had to choose one I would still prefer to listen to electronic music via the Grado's, but having them equipped with flat pads is a must.

Jul 12, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #22 of 44
the cheapest can that will satisfy your needs is the sennheiser hd212 pro, if you want to go a step above get the dt770 (which are great with proper amplification, i don't know why people are saying they have only one note bass, they don't).

Jul 13, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #23 of 44
So the Beyerdynamic 770 250 ohm versus the "M" model.....what should I make of it?

Man though, people are talking down to me like heavy bass isn't desirable for some listening. I don't care about having crisp Grado quality mids and highs so much when I'm listening to Portishead, or Burial! Those beyerdynamics will come right off when I listen to Radiohead obviously...seems like some people get locked into one sound though. I want both. And damn it, I will have it.

Jul 13, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #24 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riggaberto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the Beyerdynamic 770 250 ohm versus the "M" model.....what should I make of it?

Man though, people are talking down to me like heavy bass isn't desirable for some listening. I don't care about having crisp Grado quality mids and highs so much when I'm listening to Portishead, or Burial! Those beyerdynamics will come right off when I listen to Radiohead obviously...seems like some people get locked into one sound though. I want both. And damn it, I will have it.

lol. Dt770's!

Jul 13, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by denl82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol. Dt770's!

Are you laughing with me or at me, haha?

And which model? So far I've seen:
770 "Pros" 250 ohms
770 80 ohms
779 m 80 ohms

The latter is much more expensive than the others, so presumably there are important differences....right?

Jul 13, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #26 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riggaberto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you laughing with me or at me, haha?

And which model? So far I've seen:
770 "Pros" 250 ohms
770 80 ohms
779 m 80 ohms

The latter is much more expensive than the others, so presumably there are important differences....right?

I'm laughing at the way your adamant on getting bassy cans! Aint nothin wrong with that=]

Jul 13, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #30 of 44
I've learned to love my dnb without getting bass heavy phones and to appreciate the quality of the other parts of the spectrum. 414 pads benefit greatly for bass.

If i'm in need of bass, i'll just turn on my speaker setup. Though i haven't heard a phone that had crazy absurd bass without overlapping everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back