Help! Looking for absurd, bombastic bass for dubstep/hip hop
Jul 12, 2008 at 8:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Riggaberto

100+ Head-Fier
So, I just got Grado SR225s, and I love them....for rock. I cannot listen to hip hop or anything electronic on them though, the bass is so anemic I just can't stand it.

I want big, bombastic, extended, punchy, impactful bass. I'm in the market for an electronic/hip hop headphone folks, don't lead me astray.

I've been into hip hop, trip hop, and dubstep a lot lately, and I just need bombastic huge bass.

My Grados play rock so very well, and anything with good bass so poorly; I've decided to keep them but get "hip hop" cans as well.

I have HD280s and they extend excellently and get okay impact with my total bithead, but I need more heavy, booming impact. I'd like to keep the great extension though, I love it.

I'd like my total bithead to be able to power them to where they're pretty listenable, but I'll take amp advice as well.

I love you all, got great advice on the Grados, don't let me down!

(if you want an example of what I need the bass for search "Jah War (Loefah Remix)" by the bug featuring flowdan, or "it could be sweet" by portishead on itunes)

Thank you.

Jul 12, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #3 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by roethlar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beyerdynamic DT-770 or 990, possibly Denon D2000 or 5000.

Of those, I've tried both Beyers. The DT770s have way more bass than anyone should need. You'd probably like them.

The 770s are more bassy than the 990s then? I figure I may as well go complete opposite on the Grados.

Jul 12, 2008 at 8:57 AM Post #4 of 44
Sextett EP, DT770, Skullcandy with the subwoofer
tongue.gif

Jul 12, 2008 at 9:33 AM Post #5 of 44
dt990s are bassy for audiophile headphones but cheaper badly balanced cans will be bassier. maybe some portable akg or senn 485s maybe

Jul 12, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #6 of 44
Buy the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohm, and wou have all the bass you need.

Jul 12, 2008 at 10:01 AM Post #8 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riggaberto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 770s are more bassy than the 990s then? I figure I may as well go complete opposite on the Grados.

In a word, yes.

They are very much the opposite of Grados. I had 325is to compare them to.

Jul 12, 2008 at 10:44 AM Post #9 of 44
Cans with huge deep bass at different price points, which would suit well electronic bass based music:

- Beyerdinamic DT770 and the Darth Beyers, which are based on them, with the ports open.
- JVC DX-1000
- Denon D5000
- Many Ultrasone models. That I know first hand: Pro 650 and HFI 2200, probably HFI780 and any of their DJ models would suit you too.

Rgrds

Jul 12, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #11 of 44
The anemic feeling is a combination of the stock bowl pads and brand new Grados. Switch to flat pads for a gigantic difference in bass. The DT770's might give you what you want, but they sound so horrible to me that the music is unrecognizable. Grados resolve much better.

Jul 12, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #12 of 44
flat pads are gonna give a boosted midbass but nothing close to bombastic. I'm thinking the OP wants bass similar to a BOOM truck with 18" subs
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #13 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Darth Beyers? They are both absurd and bombastic.

Darth Beyers=DT 990s? Hahahahaha

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remember he asked for 'absurd' and 'bombastic' bass:

Skullcandy Subwoofer Headphones :: Gifts Headphones

Oh jesus.

Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
flat pads are gonna give a boosted midbass but nothing close to bombastic. I'm thinking the OP wants bass similar to a BOOM truck with 18" subs
biggrin.gif

I just need some boom, because it's a big part of certain music. To not have it would be missing out on a lot of music. I still want decent mids and highs, but for rock I'll have my grados still.

What about the 250 ohm impedance on the 990s, is that going to make them difficult to power? I've never seen anything over 80, then all the sudden 250? Jesus.

Also, with the 990s, does it matter whether they're the 2005 update or the old ones much?

Thanks everyone

Jul 12, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #14 of 44
250 ohms should be fine out of a Bithead.

Jul 12, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #15 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riggaberto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Darth Beyers=DT 990s? Hahahahaha

Oh jesus.

I just need some boom, because it's a big part of certain music. To not have it would be missing out on a lot of music. I still want decent mids and highs, but for rock I'll have my grados still.

What about the 250 ohm impedance on the 990s, is that going to make them difficult to power? I've never seen anything over 80, then all the sudden 250? Jesus.

Also, with the 990s, does it matter whether they're the 2005 update or the old ones much?

Thanks everyone

Darth Beyers are very expensive modded DT770 Pro 80 ohm headphones. Not the same as DT990.
But even the stock DT770/80 will have more booming bass than the DT990, and they are also cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back