Help! Living circumstance dictate upgrade to sealed can from HD650. budget ~1500
Apr 17, 2007 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Exit Pupil

100+ Head-Fier
current living circumstances are dictating a fresh purchase of the sealed can variety. I have heard that the Audio Technica ATH-L3000 is quite a nice can but hard to get, with a similar sound signature to my HD650. If this is the case I would be willing to make the sacrifice, despite their S&M party-goer set leather design (is there an audio technica mask available too?).

I am not a perpetual upgrader, so to bring me up to speed, what are the other highly rated sealed cans with that smooth and lucid sound, say up to and around $1500 US mark? if possible, please do not recommend any cans wich are universally known for a lean bottom end, or exaggerated highs, even if these can be 'cured' by careful or expensive associated matching. i have played this game, and know from my experience i will end up irritated. Others who do enjoy, or profit sonically from doing this, have my full respect. I have no problem with upgrading other compnoents if otherwise required, but see no reason to at this stage.

I have been very happy with the HD650 and will definitely keep hold of them, but a new purchase may as well represent an upgrade if at all possible. given my location, auditioning sessions are currently hard to come by, so i am relying on research to guide me. this proved successful with my HD650 purchse.

any associated links etc would be much appreciated as well.
i listen to classical, folk rock, and some trance.
MFV3 and rotel rb991 ae cd

cheers

Apr 17, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 47
The Ultrasone Edition 9 is the only really high-end phone I can think of that's currently in production, and they have all of the qualities you're looking for - at least that's what I've read.
wink.gif
Assuming you don't need to upgrade your amplification, the ED9's are definitely worth a hard look, just don't expect to get them any time soon, there's a huge waiting list and Ultrasone is slow on delivering.

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exit Pupil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(is there an audio technica mask available too?).

LOL. Honestly, my neighbors must think I'm crazy.
rs1smile.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #4 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Ultrasone Edition 9 is the only really high-end phone I can think of that's currently in production, and they have all of the qualities you're looking for - at least that's what I've read.
wink.gif
Assuming you don't need to upgrade your amplification, the ED9's are definitely worth a hard look, just don't expect to get them any time soon, there's a huge waiting list and Ultrasone is slow on delivering.

I agree that the Edition 9 would be an excellent upgrade from your HD-650 and IMO is one of the best (if not the best, since I haven't listened to the Denon D5000 or JVC-DX1000) closed headphones in production.

There are several threads discussing them, which you can easily find by searching for "Ultrasone Edition". Searching for "Edition 9" won't help much because the "9" is less than 3 characters, so the search will only look for "Edition".

As for getting them, it does seem to be pretty hard right now unless you find a used pair or are willing to pay $1500 to get them from Amazon. Last thing I heard NS&L has them for ~$1115 but in indefinite backorder. You might want to give them a call or check with Sovkiller, who knows some of the Ultrasone people.

Apparently there will be some action from Ultrasone in May, with the launch of several new models. It's unknown whether that includes a new top-of-the-line to replace the Edition 9. In any case, I would hope that one of the many news from May will include a fix for the supply problem.

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 47
Good grief, my entire collection wasn't $1500 when it was *new.

Do you feel that it is necessary to spend like a sailor in order to get good sound?

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #6 of 47
I owned an HD650 with a Zu Mobius for a while and dug quite a few things about it. Out of the headphones I've heard (see profile), so far I think the ATH-W2002 sounds the most similar to it. I did find the upper midrange of the W2002 really exaggerated at first, kind of overwhelming the rest of the presentation, but all that was required to fix this was switching interconnects from brighter silver to a more natural, balanced sounding SPC (Fitz BlackClover).

The W2002 seem to share a certain, unique sounding bass signature. Neither, IMO, is the last word in bass naturalness, but both have very solid, controlled slam factor that is both fun and sometimes necessary. The HD650 extends deeper. The bass on both, to a certain extent, is somewhat forward, and can sometimes feel like it's crowding the rest of the presentation. The W2002 much less, the HD650 much more (one of my complaints for the HD650).

They both share a really warm tonality in the midrange. The W2002 is a little more clear and fleshy here, conveying more emotion and feeling, but it's very, very similar (from memory).

Highs on the two are some of the most satisfying I've heard. It's so textured, pure, and clear, and not a bit fatiguing. Few headphones can show the refined detail and shape of notes in the treble range without sounding fatiguing. They both approach the way this area stands out on the Grado HF-1 (by kind of waking up the highs) without throwing things too far out of balance. There is also so much more body and spaciousness to the HD650/Zu and W2002 than the Grado. It's not great highs sticking out of a clear but somewhat flat soundscape, it's really defined and (when needed) crunchy highs contained within an overall natural presentation.

My feeling is that the W2002 images, separates and layers better than the HD650/Zu, but this probably isn't fair to say as I can only remember so much about a headphones' sound signature after I've sold them. The HD650/Zu separates in a more physical way, kind of stacking instruments on top of each other. This was another one of my complaints; they sounded kind of like a pair of mini speakers for the ears. Sometimes certain instruments sounded too high or too low in the presentation to sound really natural to me. The W2002 separates not by having the most exact soundstage/placement, but by simply being so high definition that various instruments and vocals just never come close to interfering with each other. Every piece of the presentation has its own place, even if it isn't perfectly imitating real life or offering the more exact/natural placement of, say, the W5000.

The W2002 offer very decent isolation (critical for me in my current living environment), probably the best I've experienced so far (far better than the W5000, and better than the W100, K340 and DT250-80.

Well, I hope that helps. FYI, I didn't really give much time to listening to the HD650 with the stock cable. I found that the Zu dramatically changed the sound (woke it up, really), so my impressions above probably wouldn't really apply to a stock pair. I also have no idea how the W2002 would sound out of other equipment from mine. My NOS DAC & M^3 might be making them sound much better than they would sound out of other equipment, they might not. Actually even when driven by an iMod/SuperMacroIV (brighter than the DAC/M^3 combination I use), I still really love the W2002 sound. Still totally nonfatiguing. But, of course, YMMV.

Apr 17, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #7 of 47
I am a big fan of the Ultrasone Edition 9. I also own the JVC HP-DX1000 and that is terrific also. The midrange on the JVC is slightly colored, but the bass is tremendous and the treble very light, airy, and totally non-fatiguing. Although the Ultrasone is an overall better headphone (IMO), for the money, the JVC is a better value. Both are good at all types of music.

I also have the AT ATH-W5000. Although a very good headphone, its presentation is more distant and not as full-bodied as the other two. Its bass weight is also lacking and therefore not a good headphone for bass freaks or hard rock/electonica/punk/rap fans. Jazz, classical, and acoustic music it does very well on. I must say, however, that with the other two headphones on hand, the W5000 is gathering a lot of dust.

Apr 17, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #8 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you feel that it is necessary to spend like a sailor in order to get good sound?

Yes.
plainface.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Torske /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also have the AT ATH-W5000. Although a very good headphone, its presentation is more distant and not as full-bodied as the other two. Its bass weight is also lacking and therefore not a good headphone for bass freaks or hard rock/electonica/punk/rap fans. Jazz, classical, and acoustic music it does very well on. I must say, however, that with the other two headphones on hand, the W5000 is gathering a lot of dust.

This is well said. Despite its refinement, accurate placement, speed, open/airy presentation and really deeply extending, rich bass, the W5000 can sound, as you said, distant and lacks body at times. I loved it for months, but when the W2002 came along I realized I had been missing the body and feeling of music. I'm also a decay man. If I could have the W5000's bass quality and the W2002's bass quantity and slam, I would be a happy man indeed.

I think the OP is lucky to have some really nice current production cans (E9, DX1000) in his price range that will probably do the trick. For at least two of the genres he mentioned, I would actually consider the W5000 a good choice. But it's definitely not a closed HD650.

Apr 17, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would really like to get a pair of L3000s but it's simply too hard. And why 'like a sailor'? lol..

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by choariwap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about closed woodies for the hd650s from headphile?

That's just complicating things by making them too simple.
icon10.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nenso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And why 'like a sailor'? lol..

There is very little opportunity for discressionary spending and conspicuous consumption when you live at sea on a boat.

Navy sailors on shore leave will sometimes blow their whole pay check on frivolous things, sometimes following or in conjunction with the consumption of a significant amount of alcohol.

Frankly I think the search for the perfect headphone is a fool's errand. It doesn't exist. You're setting yourself up if you think it might. You can however frequently find headphones that are truly enjoyable in particular contexts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back