Help: Linux-friendly USB integrated amplifier recommendation
Aug 27, 2012 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Juggler00

New Head-Fier
First time poster... 

I am an audio newbie with very little experience in reading specs and understanding what they mean. I'm reading and trying to catch up, but was hoping to get some pointers as to whether my sought-after piece of equipment actually exists.

I will be using Squeezeslave on a a headless Linux box to add a "zone" to my Squeezebox system. I'm looking for a Linux-friendly, USB-based DAC with integrated amplifier that can drive decent (stereo) speakers. 

I've seen many reviews/write-ups of "headphone amps" that included a USB-based DAC, but I'm unclear as to whether any of these are strong enough to power a pair of speakers (e.g. NuForce Icon-2, Topping TP30, Audio Gd NFB-12).

Any pointers would be appreciated!

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 5
I've never heard of an USB integrated amplifier for speakers, in fact I don't think they exist (and they would require external power, not just USB).
These USB headphone amps don't have power nor are designed to drive passive speakers. (btw, what are your speakers?)

You're probably gonna have to buy them separately: USB DAC + Integrated Amplifier/Receiver.

Or use active speakers (built-in amplifier).

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 5
Should have been clearer: I would expect that it would require external power, as USB does not supply sufficient juice. 

Here's the embarrassing part: I'm looking to use this in ceiling-mounted speakers, not audiophile grade by any means. They specs that I've seen say something to the effect: 8 ohm, 140W max/ 50W nominal.

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Should have been clearer: I would expect that it would require external power, as USB does not supply sufficient juice. 

Here's the embarrassing part: I'm looking to use this in ceiling-mounted speakers, not audiophile grade by any means. They specs that I've seen say something to the effect: 8 ohm, 140W max/ 50W nominal.

Sure, but unfortunately this doesn't change my answer. No such product exists (as far as I'm aware) unfortunately...
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back