Help! IRiver IHP140 Problems
Mar 7, 2008 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

micaela

1000+ Head-Fier
My IHP140 won't turn on at all! It was working fine this afternoon - then when I got home I tried to turn it on & absolutely nothing happened. I plugged in the charger & the light will come on for a while but then when I go back an hour or so later the light isn't on. I've checked the hold button & its fine. Could this just be a battery problem & a replacement might fix it? I have noticed that the battery doesn't last as long lately - but I assumed that once the battery was dead it would still work when plugged in w/the adapter.
Hopefully someone can help me out with some info/advice. Thanks!

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 35
It can happen a lot with these players that you fry the charging circuit if you use any other charger with them, even for a metter of seconds. Have you plugged in the wrong charger recently?

Mar 7, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 35
No, I'm still using the original charger that came with the player.

Mar 7, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #4 of 35
bump for help
confused.gif

Mar 7, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #7 of 35
Since you mention the battery was getting weaker, sometimes an older battery can develop enough internal resistance where it will no longer provide proper power to the unit. I've heard this condition can also "interrupt" the power coming from AC. The way to test is to replace the battery, or alternatively remove the battery and try to run it on AC sans internal battery.

Another potential issue is a broken power "On" button. Plug in the remote and see if it turns on with that. I've had that problem twice now with my wife's H120.

It wasn't an iriver, but I've also had one player in which the hard drive failed, and it caused everything to go down. No error code or anything...just no power. Replacing the drive put things in order.

Mar 8, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you mention the battery was getting weaker, sometimes an older battery can develop enough internal resistance where it will no longer provide proper power to the unit. I've heard this condition can also "interrupt" the power coming from AC. The way to test is to replace the battery, or alternatively remove the battery and try to run it on AC sans internal battery.

Another potential issue is a broken power "On" button. Plug in the remote and see if it turns on with that. I've had that problem twice now with my wife's H120.

It wasn't an iriver, but I've also had one player in which the hard drive failed, and it caused everything to go down. No error code or anything...just no power. Replacing the drive put things in order.

Thanks - I'm going to try those suggestions. I"m hopeful that its just time to replace the battery
frown.gif

Mar 8, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you connect it to your computer, does it show up there?
If it does, does using the power on/off switch make any difference?

If the unit is un-powered, it won't show as connected to a computer.

My vote is power button first, battery problem second.

EDIT...but I'm wrong often enough....

Mar 8, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #12 of 35
Dude, it's the battery, it's dead.
Just replace it.
iRiver H-xxx players are very reliable and won't get short circuit that often, only when you plug an Nokia brand charger. If it doesn't work all of the sudden and you done nothing wrong, it's something replaceable.

Mar 8, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #13 of 35
I tried the remote & it still is dead as a doornail. That rules out the power button doesn't it?

And no it doesn't show up on the computer b/c it won't power up. I'm going to take the battery out this afternoon & see if it will power up straight from the AC w/out the battery installed. I'm assuming that will tell me if its the battery. I can also check the battery output with a meter.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Mar 21, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #15 of 35
Its still dead for now. I couldn't find a T 5 bit to get the board out - then we went on vacation & I just got back last night. So this week - I'll find the tool & hopefully get something figured out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back