Help in recommending headphones for music production
Dec 28, 2012 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Rogue75

New Head-Fier
My first proper set of cans was the Technics RP-DH1200. I used these for DJing and for listening to music and really love how they sound with strong but not overpowering bass. Unfortunately, they suck in terms of durability as I'm on my 3rd pair now in 6 years (weak plastic points which a redesign could really fix). Then when I began to produce music, I found that having these sit on top of my head for an extended period of time (anything over 1-2 hours), would cause pain on the top of my head, so I would have to shift the headband back and forth on my head every 20 minutes or so. In addition to that, over time it squeezed on the side of my head a bit too tight. I have a bit of a big head haha.

A year ago, I had received the V-Moda Crossfade LP1 which I had hoped sounded as good as they looked. The LP1 was terrible for my DJing, but great and comfortable for casual music listening. However, the Crossfade LP1 is really lacking in bass compared to the Technics RP-DH1200's and becomes fairly useless for me for music production or serious listening. 

What I'm looking for is a recommendation for a pair of cans that have a similar sound to the Technics RP-DH1200 (good solid bass), but that are comfortable for listening to for an extended period of time (so I guess either a larger headband or headphones that are not as heavy). I'd prefer something that is over ear as opposed to on-ear so that people around me won't be bothered by my sounds/tunes.

Thanks to anyone for any advice or personal recommendations. 
Cheers.

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 2
Heya,

Check out the Beyer Custom One Pro. It is excellent for production & casual enjoyment since it can go from neutral to bassy with a click of the vent port. Very durable. Very comfortable. Light weight, big puffy pads. Puffy headband. Detachable cable. Most parts of it are customizeable.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back