Help!!! I need input on choosing between ATH M30, Grado SR60i, Senn PX200 II, or Ultrasone HFI 450.
Oct 21, 2010 at 11:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

MAntonSim

New Head-Fier
I have been using Senn PX100 and HD477. These 2 headphones are my favorite for almost 5 years. Then 3 years ago, my wife bought me Shure E2. Suddenly my mind was open with the exceptional sounds that e2 provides, and still is. And early this year I bought myself a Senn MX760 after reading internet reviews and consulting with the sales of an audio store coz I needed to buy a replacement for my started-to-be-damaged PX100. Story goes that MX760 opened another chapter. Now i know the joy of listening to more balanced and clear sounds of music that I have never heard before, same songs but different depth. But since MX760 is an ear bud, that kinda hurt my ears after an hour, I decided to buy a replacement for PX100 with a somewhat portable headphone with the budget of $100 max.

Music I listen to: metal, rock, alternative, dance, new age, classical soundtrack (usually heavier in bass than regular classical music), and easy listening. Over the years, I've started to enjoy clarity in music more and more, espevially in the mid and treble. I still enjoy bass, but I prefer less boomy and tighter clear bass, like the one produced by MX760, especially for rock and metal songs.

I need your experience input, since I consider myself and amateur in hifi headphone and music listening knowledge. After reading so many reviews, I have narrowed down my list of contenders to the followings:
- ATH M30
- Grado SR60i
- Sennheiser PX 200 II
- Ultrasone HFI 450 or 15G (however, after reading how awful the after sales service, I might rethink of buying this one)
Mind you, I have never test any of the above headphones, just read them in (mainly) headfi forums.

Considered characteristics: As balanced as possible with clear mid and high, clear but non boomy low. Also it needs to be portable since I oftem travel and would very much love to bring this headphone with me.

Please give me your input. My ears are hungry for clarity, especially when I'm stressed out from work. Any input is appreciated.

Note: I'm in Indonesia, so $100 headphone in US usually mean +$10 to +$20 down here.

Oct 21, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #3 of 16

Quote:
The PX200-II would be the most balanced from that list. I definitely recommend them to anyone looking for good portables.

Have you heard the others?

Oct 22, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #4 of 16
Thank you for your input.  I'm curious about PX200II, but my experience with PX100 kinda push me back.  While ATH M30 is known to have unbalanced mid.  With the bad after sales service, I wonder if it is worth it to buy Ultrasone 15G (whice some people said a balanced headphone under $100).  Grado SR60i is possibily has the most praise of the all, but honestly it's way too big and not in the category of portable.

Oct 22, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #5 of 16
with px200 without a doubt is the best sounding of all you listed.  However, for that price I would look to something else if you are not concerned about portable factor.  If you are okay with larger open backs, AD700 all the way.  You can snag one on ebay for around $80.

the pmx series is also amazing and not at all popular around here, not sure why.  My Pmx 100 was just awesome, never got to listen to the pmx 200 but that is the closed back version and im told its even better.

For a more portable solution, I would not feel okay recommending anything else but the D1001 
Also, other great options are the DBI pro 700 or 705 ( someone is selling a 705 right now here on the for sale section ) While its not that comfy, the sound is unrivaled for that price.

The under 100$ world is the hardest for me to recommend sets in.  Shame really because for around 140-160 you can get one of the best portable sets ever made, the Phiaton MS400.  Also found on ebay. :\

Oct 22, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #6 of 16
I've check the pricing oh ATH AD700. Man, down here it's a $200 headphone. Since I'm located in Indonesia, even an $80 headphone on eBay, the tax and shipping cost will put me near $200. Hahaha.
Anyway, tomorrow, I 'm planning to test some of those headphone. If any luck, I can find the one I'm looking for.
By the way, is HD485 has almost similar sound to HD477? A DJ phone characteristic?

Oct 22, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #8 of 16
Have you read Joker's portable headphones shoot-out?
All these headphones you're asking about are there.
Quote:
Joker, out of curiosity. How is the condition of your Yamaha?

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
Have you read Joker's portable headphones shoot-out?
All these headphones you're asking about are there.

Except for the HFI-450... for now 
tongue.gif

Quote:
Joker, out of curiosity. How is the condition of your Yamaha?

Mint - I'm very careful with (most of) my headphones.

Oct 22, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #10 of 16
bro dont forget, if you are using paypal you can always work something out with someone here or elsewhere, to buy the set you want here in the states, and have them ship it to you and save big

Oct 23, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #11 of 16
Report on headphone test adventure today.

Okay, first of all, I must admit and state that I am an amateur and need to learn a TON of knowledge of sound quality. So here goes.

Tested all the above except for 2: Sennheisser PX200II coz there are no store that has a demo unit, and Ultrasone HFI 450 coz out of stock.

1. Grado SR60i -- Too thick on bass, but good details. However the bass overtaken some of the details that I really looking for in a headphone.

2. ATH M30 -- The sound so laid back and easy. details is good. I just don't find it likable.

3. Ultrasone 15G -- Wow. This is the detail sound that I was looking for, BUT some how it's soundstage is less compared to my tiny Senn MX760.

4. Ultrasone HFI-450 -- Can't try it. No stock.

The owner of the store is kind enough to offer me to test severeal more headphones that fit my descriptions:

1. Yuin PK3 -- WOW, but I already have MX760 earbud. Powerful details but a bit harsh of the treble.

2. Grado iGrado -- Better than PX100 that I remember. Where was this headphone when I was buying PX100? Again the problem is I already have heavy bass Senn HD477, so I don't see the point of buying it.

3. vJays -- Very Good headphone. Strong details with good bass. The bass didn't take over too much of the details. My comment was the design looks cheap, although it actually sturdy and comfortable, that people tends to misjudge it for being poor quality headphone. But it is probably the best portable headphone that I have ever tried. I want to buy this, but the store ran out of stock.

4. ATH M50 -- too much bass but good details.

5. Fischer (portable, didn't notice the series) -- good, but still too much bass.

6. dBE portable headphone -- Hell NO!!!

7. AKG K403 -- Okay, before I begin, I must say that this headphone is probably the one headphone that I don't wish to try since I've tried AKG K242 and K272 before and decided that despite their good sound, it's just not for me at this point in time. Then i tried it. AKG K403 is the closest headphone sound quality to my Senn MX760 in a foldable and portable headphone format. I can't believe it, I feel that I found what I was looking for. Again, the problem is no bag included. The most surprising is the PRICING, around $30. What the heck?? It sounded like a $200 headphone.

So, there you have it. I ended up with choosing between 3 headphone: vJays, AKG K403 and Ultrasone 15G. Then the store owner let me know that Ultrasone HFI-450 will be available on Monday, but vJays no stock at all. After discussing with my wife, I decided to give my number to the store owner and pre-ordered the Ultrasone HFI-450 for testing.

So it's between 2 available candidates: AKG K403 (around $30) and Ultrasone HFI-450 (around $90).

PS: I have a bad experience of purchasing a Philips clip on headphone without even trying it (sounds is just average, but it doesn't fit well), so I will not purchase Senn PX200II because I can not find any store with a demo unit.

Oct 27, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #12 of 16
Finally, i bought the Ultrasone hfi450. I just loved the sound it makes, but thebass unfotunately a bit boomy. So i use reduced bass eq to make it sound the way i want it. This 450 just sounded like the Yamaha speakers that i love to heear

Oct 27, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #13 of 16
I need some input, i heard the burn in time for ultrasone is 400 hours. Do i need to do it? Will it improve the sound?

Nov 17, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #15 of 16
Thanks, Randy. That's not so scary.

So far, the sound of Ultrasone HFI450 is excellent. Bright on high and mid. Very enjoyable for accoustic, jazz, easy listening, pop, rock, and some classical musics. Sincenthe bass is fluffy, the dance music has less impact but still enjoyable for me. I try to listen to it for 3 hours and no particular discomfort found. The only 2 complains I have is it's a bit heavy and the cord is too d### long, but both have it's merit. Since it's heavy, it stays on my head firmly and the long cord enables me to move around without knocking off the player.

As for the mentioned surround sound, i have found that this can does have a very wide sound stage, butno where near surround sound. Of course my definition of surround sound means well defined sound source or the peerceived sound source. Only the left and right stage are well defined. The rests are blurry either behind or in front. It is as other has said, though, the ultrasone puts me right in the center of the stage.

Bravo Ultrasone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back