Help: I love my HE-400i but I need a replacement
Mar 3, 2019 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

sherm137

100+ Head-Fier
Long story short: about 10 months ago I dabbled in the world of headphones, did research for a month, stumbled upon the gem (or so I thought) of HiFiman and purchased the HE-400Is. I LOVED the sound. The imagining and sound stage are so good. I could pick out instruments in a performance and point to individual performers in an orchestra. I had never been more impressed.

Then, Hifiman manufacturing struck. The right driver failed me after about 8-9 months. I sent for an RMA (customer service was very easy to work with). Got a new pair back, but I could tell it was used/refurbished. I had also starting reading more reviews, and it seems across the Hifiman line of products, QC is a MAJOR issue.

Here is my plan: sell the 400Is and buy headphones from a more reputable company with a better manufacturing process.

My budget is $400. What headphones should I be looking at that have a similar sound profile as the HE-400I but without the QC issues? Planar is NOT a must.

TL;DR: Love the HE-400I sound. LOVE it. However, QC issues presented themselves. Need similar sounding headphones with $400 budget that don't have rampant QC issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back