HELP! HE-300 vs D600 vs MTPG vs M100 vs Others!
Jan 28, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #16 of 38
Quote:
I've owned both the UE's and the D600, but I kept the D600. The UE 6000 is nice, and a good deal for the price, but it was just too dark for me in passive mode (it sounded like everything had a veil over it). For hip-hop, the D600's are a good choice. The bass on them is top notch (better than the original D5000's even when modded, and rivaling LCD-2 quality), but the mids and highs are all funky. A lot of people like them, and a lot of others don't. I personally don't really love the mids/highs on them, but I would hate for that to influence your opinion, they're really cans that you need to try out for yourself to see if you like them.

On that note, I'm assuming from your name that you're in SF? If so, the best buys around here tend to have them on display in the fancy 'Magnolia' section of their stores so you can try them out (and they also have the UE 6000's on display with the other 'cheaper' headphones too). So you can just go there and try them both out in one go. The Best Buy on geary I believe had both in stock and on display last I recall, I only mention it cause I'm not sure if the one on harrison has the D600's.

Anyways, I just ordered a pair of M100's too, so I'll see how they stack up once they get here later this week. No idea about the other phones though.

I would say skip the d600s. IMO I feel the d5ks outshine the d600s anyday. You want a more neutral sound but with a bit of a thump which the Mad dogs will provide. The d600s would be way to dark for what it sounds like you want. 

Quote:
I actually live about 30 minutes south of the city, sons Best Buy with a Magnolia section is a little out of the way. But I look forward to your comparison! I think my final decision will be between the better of those two, the HE 300, and Mr Speaker Mad Dogs (If an e6 can power them, anyway).

Mad Dogs are great. Very neutral, but the bass is enough to keep me wearing them. VERY comfortable and isolate damn well too. 

cheers

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #17 of 38
Quote:
I would say skip the d600s. IMO I feel the d5ks outshine the d600s anyday. You want a more neutral sound but with a bit of a thump which the Mad dogs will provide. The d600s would be way to dark for what it sounds like you want. 

The D600 does female vocals WAY better than the D5000.

Most if not all Apple-friendly headphones have smooth and somewhat relaxed treble, thus avoid sibilance. Hence the above observation. Some of my songs that are borderline unlistenable with D5000 sound great with D600. They often end up sounding way too dark, but D600 is far from that. Still brighter than say, HD650.

If you do want netrality though Denon in general isn't a good choice, new or old alike.

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #18 of 38
I have the 300's, and I think they would work well for most of your needs.  I did do a review of them in the headgear section.  They are warm on the top, but there is detail there.  bass is nice and fat.  great for hip hop and bass driven tracks in general.  Really easy to power as well.

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #19 of 38
Quote:
I usually don't care how headphones look, but I really dislike the Dt770 in that department. I'll definitely take a closer look at the Logitechs though! Any one know how they compare to the headphones I've mentioned?

I hear you, same with my taste. I own both the D600 and the M-100 it really is a crap shoot which one I enjoy more.

The M-100 will hit you tight on the bottom end and shine on the highs, kind of has an "in your face" sound with a solid sound stage considering how small the ear cups are.

For all-around genres I find myself reaching for the D600 more as it does everything really good. Many will say it's too dark and I will agree sometimes vocals sound a bit far but that's why they call it the Music Maniac series because that's what it is for, getting down to anything in your collection. It really is my current "jack of all trades" headphone.

Keep in mind portability too. If you want to travel with them the M-100's will obviously run circles. Although I really don't mind lugging the Denons around in the soft case. They are big but sturdy. Have never been too worried about durability with either.

Jan 28, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #20 of 38
Thanks for all the help! I'd say now its just between the d600 and the HE-300. Are the Hifiman noticeably better than the Denon's? If not, I think I would go with the Denon's because they're closed.

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

The D600 does female vocals WAY better than the D5000.

Most if not all Apple-friendly headphones have smooth and somewhat relaxed treble, thus avoid sibilance. Hence the above observation. Some of my songs that are borderline unlistenable with D5000 sound great with D600. They often end up sounding way too dark, but D600 is far from that. Still brighter than say, HD650.

If you do want netrality though Denon in general isn't a good choice, new or old alike.

I agree with the female vocals being meh on the d5ks. The OP did not seem to listen to much if any though. I was mainly saying skip on the d600 and the d5ks for something like the mad dogs mainly because they give such a natural sound signature vs the d600 and d5k which IMO are more for "fun" listening. I thought the OP was wanted something a little more natural rather then extra bassy. 

As for female vocals I use the he400, but again, I can FOR SURE see what you are talking about. Besides female voices I don't really have anything bad to say about the d5ks. Just wish the d600 was classy like the old line and I probably would have bought 2 or 3 of their new line :frowning2:

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #22 of 38
Ya, I get what you mean, but i just dont think i can justify 300 for the Mad Dogs and the 30 I would need for an e6 (if those can even drive them?), when the He-300 and d600 would be about 250. Unless you think they really are just head and shoulders above these options? I'll definitely consider them for the next upgrade though.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #24 of 38
Heya,

Quote:
What are the best full sized headphones for under $250? My listening habits are about 30% hip hop (primarily Dr Dre, Kid Cudi, and Kendrick Lamar), 20% spoken-word leaning rap (primarily Atmosphere), 20% ska (Sublime), and about 30% Alternative, Reggae, and occasionally other genres (Bob Marley, Dirty Heads, Iration, and Pink Floyd). I would prefer it to have a removable cable and be fairly comfortable, preferably more so than my Hfi-580. I currently have Klipsch x10 and Uktrasone HFI-580's, and well I like the sound of the HFi-580's, I would like better, more natural mids. The only amp i would be willing to consider is the Fiio e6, or a similarly small and inexpensive amp. All help would be appreciated!

So we're clear, you're coming from some bassy metallic Ultrasones and you're looking for better mids, and basically no amp requirement.

Quote:
Also, being open or closed doesn't matter that much, but all other factors being equal, I would prefer them to be closed.

So you want a closed headphone. Simple.

Quote:
Does anyone who has the he300, d600, MTPG, or other headphones in this price range have an opinion?

Quote:
I usually don't care how headphones look, but I really dislike the Dt770 in that department. I'll definitely take a closer look at the Logitechs though! Any one know how they compare to the headphones I've mentioned?

Basically after looking through what you're describing, I can't help but think these would be for you:

Audio Technica A900X

Everything you described and no amplifier needed. The runner up to that would be the D600 perhaps if you wanted something else. I would not even get an open headphone if you prefer closed and completely just not look at the HE300.

Very best,

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #25 of 38
I would be willing to get an open pair if they were noticeably better than other closed options. Can you compare your d2000 and the He300? The d2000 seem to be pretty similar to the d600. I am definitely considering the He-300 again because of theyre about $40 cheaper.

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #26 of 38
Due to cheaper pairs on Amazon being bought, the d600 are now completely out of my price range. So are the M100 my best bet for closed phones in the 200-300 dollar range with powerful bass and natural mids? Are there any more neutral options? Because the m100 still seem to be "bass head" 'phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back