Help! Has anyone tried the TDK ie800 dual dynamics! Is there any review or impression? About to pay.
Nov 17, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:
I can't remember at all, sorry.  Try typing in TDK IE800 review in Google and you might be able to find it.

Yeah, I can't find anything.

Actually, ClieOS has this to say about them compared with the MH1C and BA 200:

IE800 is more a mid centric sounding IEM, the bass and treble are actually quite good, but the soundstage and mid are what steal the show. It also has a more laidback and musical presentation. Overall, I'll rate IE800 on par with BA200 and higher than MH2C."

http://www.head-fi.org/t/541204/concise-multi-iem-comparison-htc-rc-e190-samsung-ehs64-sony-mh750-added-nov-4th-2012/915

Nov 17, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #17 of 28
Wow the fact he says they're on par with the BA200 is surprising to me because on his IEM list the BA200 ranked 4th so that would put the IE800 up pretty high.  I think the IE800 will sound something like a dynamic driver version of the BA200 because TDK is good at giving their IEM's that house sound of warm and smooth.

Nov 17, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #18 of 28
and here's from the original thread starter:

"It has sparkling shiny highs and decent deep bass. Whole quality at the same level as mg7. But vocal/midrange sounds a little warmer and so much smoother, no harshness at all. Also comfort&isolation are super good. I ve fallen for it."

http://www.head-fi.org/t/628664/just-recieved-tdk-ie800-and-it-sounds-like-a-warmer-mg7-without-any-harshness

Nov 30, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #21 of 28
They seem like there a lot like the BA200 just using 2 dynamic drivers instead of 2 BA's, TDK's good at tuning their IEM's and headphones to give them that house sound of warm and smooth with good mids which is just what I like.

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:
Had a very brief audition of this iems the other day. If you are a bass head I don't think you will like it. I found it quite impressive though. To my ears it sounded like a slightly brighter and thinner sounding ba200. 

From your memory, was the TDK IE800 more airy and bright at the very highest treble than the ba200?  Even if just a little?

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #25 of 28
I listened to the TDK ie800 and I agree that the signature is similar to the BA 200 which I own.  A little bit thinner and more promounced highs.  I am not sure about sub-bass on either the BA200 or TDK ie800.  Quite frankly, I don't see a need for the ie800 because I find the mods and highs of the BA200 to be much smoother and acceptable.

I also own the JVC FXT-90 (LS).  Thats the gold version of the FXT-90 and i is different from a regular FXT-90.  Now that, I like and I like a lot, especially if you are talking about Dual Dynamics.  Personally, I really like the sound of a good dynmaic driver over armatures. 

Dan

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:
I listened to the TDK ie800 and I agree that the signature is similar to the BA 200 which I own.  A little bit thinner and more promounced highs.  I am not sure about sub-bass on either the BA200 or TDK ie800.  Quite frankly, I don't see a need for the ie800 because I find the mods and highs of the BA200 to be much smoother and acceptable.

That's where I found the tdk let me down in the highs.  Relatively speaking, they just sound a bit muffled, which despite the great separation and details makes them sound less crisp, airy and real as they could.  I think with a lot of these dual drivers of either type, it seems like they needs to choose to focus on two of the three frequency ranges.  low, mid or high.  A lot of BA seem to go with their strength and focus on mid and high.  Dynamics seem to focus on low and mid or low and high.  I realize there are a mix of all of them, but those seem most common.

The ba200 seems to have done a good job focusing mainly on low and mid flatness, but sort of going with all three really, at the cost of the high treble and lowest bass.  Almost like mid focused (not to be confused with mid-centric) with less focus on lows and highs, but still overall really good.  If I had to pinpoint it, i'd say they really tried to make everything from the bass to treble flow smoothly together as one unit.  But again, at the cost of not having the greatest treble extension.  If the IE800 has a similar sound, but better highs I'd be all over it.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

That's where I found the tdk let me down in the highs.  Relatively speaking, they just sound a bit muffled, which despite the great separation and details makes them sound less crisp, airy and real as they could.  I think with a lot of these dual drivers of either type, it seems like they needs to choose to focus on two of the three frequency ranges.  low, mid or high.  A lot of BA seem to go with their strength and focus on mid and high.  Dynamics seem to focus on low and mid or low and high.  I realize there are a mix of all of them, but those seem most common.

The ba200 seems to have done a good job focusing mainly on low and mid flatness, but sort of going with all three really, at the cost of the high treble and lowest bass.  Almost like mid focused (not to be confused with mid-centric) with less focus on lows and highs, but still overall really good.  If I had to pinpoint it, i'd say they really tried to make everything from the bass to treble flow smoothly together as one unit.  But again, at the cost of not having the greatest treble extension.  If the IE800 has a similar sound, but better highs I'd be all over it.

I'm curious, did you ever try the Phonak silicone tips on the BA200? I was considering getting a few pairs of those to try out on the BA200 but opted towards Westone's new "Star" silicone tips and the EarPortz as recommended by ericp10, since those are sold in packs that have all the sizes available. Phonak tips seem to be only available in packs of the same size (3 pairs), though it might not be hard to find a couple other people to do a group-buy of 3 pairs of each size and just split the cost.

At least for the Westone 4, it seems that the Phonak silicone tips work very well with their wide bores in helping extend nearly all the way to 20kHz. Perhaps it might have a similar effect for the BA200? Or perhaps not, considering the Westone 4 does have 4 drivers to work with.

Dec 19, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:
From your memory, was the TDK IE800 more airy and bright at the very highest treble than the ba200?  Even if just a little?

I really don't remember. It was quite a long time ago and I did not listen for something so specific as the very highest treble response. In general, the ie800 sounded brighter overall with a less weighty midrange and similar bass quantity. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back