Help getting started?
Jul 6, 2017 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Martin Cannon

New Head-Fier
I'm a complete audiophile newbie who is looking to get a good set of headphones and was hoping you guys could help :)
I've got a budget of about £200-250, i'm looking for something over ear which that can block out noise whilst not leaking too much. I'd like to use them in public on my way to work and back and i do have a shared bedroom.
I'd mostly be using it with my Phone (Samsung S7) and my PC. In terms of my music taste it's mostly Classic Rock, Metal, Doom, Black Metal, Industrial, some folk and blues.
I would also like to attach a Mod Mic (or something similar) to the headphones so i can use it for team coms when i play games.

I don't have a clue about Amps and DACs but i've picked out a few headphones that i've seen some good reviews on and whatnot but i'm struggling to find what the best choice is for me. Some help would be great!
The ones i'm looking at atm are :

• Sennheister Momemtum 2.0 - £170
  • PSB m4u1 - £180
  • Sennheister hd 598 c - £140
  • V-moda M-100 - £195
  • Fostex t40rp mk3 - £145

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 10
I currently use the Sennheiser HD1 (Momentum 2) for my on-the-go listening and I love them. They don't need an amp but they do sound a bit more dynamic and punchier with one. They have an in-line mic at a decent spot on the cable but a modmic should fit somewhere on the metal bits where the headphones adjust. It's unfortunate that you can't try some open backed cans but perhaps down the road you will experience those! I've not heard the HD598 closed back version but I have the open ones and it is the most comfortable pair of headphones I've ever used. I would say go for either Senn, but the Momentums are definitely more portable and feel a bit higher quality. Another reason to pick the Momentum over the 598cs is that if you DO ever want to try a good pair of open backed cans, the 598 is a perfect place to start, but owning the closed and open versions would be a bit annoying in my opinion because theyre too similar. If you can get the Momentum 2 over ear for a good price, I'd strongly recommend those! P.S. Vmoda headphones look a bit tacky :p

Jul 6, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 10
Dunno what they go for where you live but I will toss the Meze99 into the fray...Quite a few boys in the metal thread like em for metal.

Jul 6, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks guys, i'll do some more digging and try make a decision later today!
@cossix I was leaning towards the Momentum 2.0 out of my list so thats good!
@monsterzero & @serman005 i did hear about them but they are slightly above budget at £279 for the MEZE 99 classics however they are about £220 for the MEZE 99 NEOs, i think the only difference is materials? Plastic instead of wood etc?

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #7 of 10
+1 on the Meze 99 Classics. Just threw on some Slayer and Megadeth and had to take them off as I was wanting to turn it up too much :L3000:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back