Help Getting New Earphones !
Nov 8, 2010 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

CHRIS7509

Head-Fier
Hi, Well i ve never been into  earphones cos i use full size cans so i really need your help here guys, I use my mp3 players with big cans and sometimes with my amp to listen music, when i had to use earphones like for when running or stuff like that i used a pair of aiwa that i have to say i liked the sound specially for the price but after years then this got bad, one of the earphones sounds with less vol and like  a big speaker with a broken paper cone so i went to the stock earphone that came with the mp3 ( i know lame ) but now this one broke too ( cable ) so now i need a new set but have no idea which to get help me pls.

I am looking for something like this : Like i said i am not really into IEM's but now that i need to get a pair i'd like to get something not too expensive but also something that would say " welcome to the hi-fi world of IEM's you know something that is going to sound better than the average sets.

That would be the main thing but if i could add some other would be : low profile, not something like those  that have that plastic thing that goes around your ear to hold, to have good volume, the smallest the better, on a dark color ( not like those white iphones sets that can bee seen at a mile away ) ...

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

Chris.

PS, i'd be using this straight with the mp3's no amps ( even though i have )

Also is there a different between IEM's and earphones ?

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #2 of 16
It might help if you gave us a budget - how much you are willing to spend, since one person's 'too expensive' is another's pocket change. Also if you have any preferences in terms of the actual sound.

Without a budget, I guess the stalwart recommendation on Head-Fi, the RE0, would fit the profile of low profile, black and small - with great quality.

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #3 of 16
In the $30 range MEElectronics M6, in the $50 range MEElectronics M11+, in the $80 range the Panasonic RP-HJE900. If you are thinking about spending more let us know. These are the only ones I'm familiar with, but I did a lot of research before my purchase and am very happy with all of them.

You do need to let the forum know what type of music you like, the sound you are looking for(balanced, more bass, mellow smooth treble, analytical, etc.), and price point.

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #4 of 16
Thanks for your answer, around $150 USD, hopefully i can get something like i said for that amount, if not i'd look for another aiwa set that i liked, like i said i use more big cans but now that i am searching for a set i want something that sounds good.

About the sound, i would use it mostly with rock music and straight with the mp3's, and if i would have to compare it to something i'd like it if it can sound like my  AKG's 271 set. closed monitoring headsets.

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 16
If that was your budget I think I might consider the Audio Technica CK90 Pro. They are small, black, low profile, sound pretty great, and are designed for professional monitoring. They don't do anything exceptionally, but they are balanced, flat and fast. I think you can get them from Seyo shop for around that price.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #6 of 16
Nov 8, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
Is this the REO you are talking about ? : looks nice :

http://cgi.ebay.com/Head-Direct-RE0-Earphones-/260513059120?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item3ca7c9d130

Something else that i forgot : if posible from all those names is there one that will have one cable for the speaker longer than the other one? that's what l'd like since i use it on my arm and this type of set fits better that one of those with same cable lenght for both speakers.

Yep thems the ones. And what you are talking about with the mis-matched length is actually called a J-type cord. The only people who do them regularly I've found is Sony...

Nov 8, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #8 of 16
Yeah the sony set that i have is like that, i didn't know they were called like that, the aiwa set was like that too J-type cord ,

Is the REO a J type one? and how do you call the ones with same lenght, just a stock type cord?

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #9 of 16
Nov 8, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #10 of 16
[size=medium]Thanks for being patient with a newbee like me, I am right now reading through that great link, Thanks mate !     [/size]
[size=medium]Man that thread should be a sticky on the IEM section [/size]

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #11 of 16
Thanks guys I Think I'll be going for the REO as my first IEM's. I'll let you know how i like it. Laters!

Nov 9, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #12 of 16
Hi again, I don't really want to make another thread for a similar question so Now i am asking the same question but for earbud's  or earphones  ( not IEM's ) .

What's a good earbud set for under $100 with the same profile as i was asking before.

i'll get iem's but i'll also need a set of earbuds. Thanks.

Nov 9, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #13 of 16
Erm i am a newbie here too but i think for the re-0 a lot of ppl tend to go with modded shure olives. A little work is done where they remove the core. Personally I would just use a comply tip on my re-0 as none of their stock tips worked for me but comply is kinda expensive and disgusting to get sweaty. If you game for modding i think the shure olives look like a good way to go.

Nov 9, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
Hi again, I don't really want to make another thread for a similar question so Now i am asking the same question but for earbud's  or earphones  ( not IEM's ) .

What's a good earbud set for under $100 with the same profile as i was asking before.

i'll get iem's but i'll also need a set of earbuds. Thanks.

For earbuds most favored sub-$100 ones are YUIN PK2 or OK3
http://www.head-direct.com/products.php?m=5

You can search for the dozens of reviews and comparison for each of those and decide for yourself.

Nov 11, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #15 of 16
They look good , any other under $100 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back