Help from AKG fans for closed HPs
May 22, 2008 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Assorted

Headphoneus Supremus
I've read some reviews on the 271S, but I couldn't quite find its right comparison with higher end headphones.

I have an MS-Pro which I use for almost everything, running from a Pico or my 53R amp, but I need something more suitable for larger orchestral/symphonic works that is closed (for outside useage), and should be able to run fine with just my Pico.

Originally I looked at the K340, but its reviews weren't favorable for portably amped usage, so I arrived at the 271S. I have no idea how much the K240 leaks, so I'm not sure about that either. I've also looked at the W5000, but it's much too bulky to bring around in a bag, not to mention how scratched it might get.

What I need:

I would love to buy this AKG phone if they complimented my MS-Pro for other genres of classical, and they weren't a significant downgrade in too many aspects. I'm open to other suggestions.

What I don't want:

I can't go Ultrasone anymore because, once I had the ED9 there's no going back, and I can't afford to keep/buy another ED9 right now.

I also don't want any IEMs (my Triple.fi covers my noisy environment listening), and earbuds are also out the of the question, because I've already lost my PK1, broke my B&O A8s, even broke my Vibes (yes I know they're canal buds), and something tells me that I shouldn't buy these sorts of earphones anymore.

May 22, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #2 of 10
W5000 is amazing for classical, and it's not portable at all, unfortunately
frown.gif

have you considered ESW9? On my brief listening session, they were quite impressive with large orchestras and string quartets. (It was only 50 minute session, but I was impressed nevertheless).

One drawback was that it might have too much bass for some people (I personally prefer bass-light nature of K701, K501 for classical). I have no idea if any member has a pair around Alberta, but try to audition a pair.

I hope that helped
wink.gif

May 22, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
W5000 is amazing for classical, and it's not portable at all, unfortunately
frown.gif

have you considered ESW9? On my brief listening session, they were quite impressive with large orchestras and string quartets. (It was only 50 minute session, but I was impressed nevertheless).

One drawback was that it might have too much bass for some people (I personally prefer bass-light nature of K701, K501 for classical). I have no idea if any member has a pair around Alberta, but try to audition a pair.

I hope that helped
wink.gif

I'm getting an ESW9 soon. When I get it in I could give you some impressions if you are still interested. PM me in a couple of weeks if you are interested and I'll let you know how I like them.

May 24, 2008 at 8:46 AM Post #5 of 10
Here's a review of the K-271S, comparing to the usual fare:

Review: AKG K 271 Studio headphones

The K-240S don't isolate that much, but they don't let through that much either. A suitably powerful amp is required on the street, but at about 11 o'clock on the CMoy amp's volume dial, they block pretty much anything.

May 24, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #6 of 10
I have the K271S. Don't know how well they play classical, but they're great headphones for their price (got mine for $135 + S&H off eBay, brand new).

Build-quality and comfort is top notch for me (I'm using the bundled pleather pads). They isolate very well: people has to throw things or yell at me to get my attention.

More important, they sound really great when decently amped, putting out a nice amount of bass slam (although being known for having lean bass). I'm driving them off my cheap Zero with rolled opamps, using an iRiver PCDP with optical out as source.

May 24, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 10
Another idea is the AKG K270 Playback. People say they sound just like the highly regarded K240 Sextetts, except the playbacks are closed.

You'll have to fight me for them though as I'm trying to locate a set right now too
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #8 of 10
K271S is a great choice. W5000, although in a different SQ league altogether, is just too impractical for portable use, plus portable amp, even Pico, will not do them a proper justice.
ESW9 might work too, but unless you really need a small footprint portables that also work unamped, K271S is a better choice.

May 25, 2008 at 11:16 AM Post #10 of 10
ahem - you're avoiding the obvious - Darthbeyers. Once upon a time I had k271s. The first pair of 'phones I got rid of in my headphone "career" was a pair Audio Technica 500's, and the 2nd pair to find a new home were the k271s.....and like the o.p. - today I use Alessandro MS Pro w/flats for much of my listening........if you can afford it - I prefer the X-Deep Darths (have 2 pair) vs. the std depth.
re k340 (modded or unmodded) - I've used both ways - to my mind they are strictly for Symphony, Opera, and Oratorio.....with a strong tube amp..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back