Help for LOD pinout to iPhone 4
May 25, 2012 at 7:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

thepredestrian

100+ Head-Fier
Seeking help from any DIY-er out here

Im making a LOD for the iPhone 4. Ive found the pin out to be soldering 11, 15 and 16 to the ground, 3 for the right and 4 for the left. However, no sound comes out.

There is also no sound when it was plugged into the iPod Video.

Are my pin schematics correct? Or maybe there is an alternate one? Ive already checked the jack, everything is fine down there so thats not the problem.

Thanks for all your help.

PS: on a side note, after Ive gotten the correct pinout for the iphone 4, will is still be able to work for the other iPod models? Im asking this because Im making this for an iphone 4 user but I only have an iPod video to test out the LOD. The reason why I could previously get an iPhone 4 to test was because I borrowed it from my friend.

May 31, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #2 of 13
Sorry, that are not the right pin outs. The ground has to be on 2, right and left are good. Pins 11-15-21, put a 68k Ohm restistor on them, so it will work on both apple products.
I will work, keep me up for the result.

May 31, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:
Sorry, that are not the right pin outs. The ground has to be on 2, right and left are good. Pins 11-15-21, put a 68k Ohm restistor on them, so it will work on both apple products.
I will work, keep me up for the result.

Thanks for the reply. Will these work the same for iPod Touch? Or is that another pin schematic? Thanks

May 31, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #4 of 13
That pin schematic will work for all apple mp3 players, they only need a dock connection. So the iphone, ipad and ipod will work with this pin schematic.
Good luck

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
What is the result of your LOD? Is it finished and working?

Oh yeah, thanks. I didnt have a resistor though, so I trawled around for more info, and found this:

Tie pin 1 and 11 together. 2 for GRD, 3 and 4 for right and left respectively. 

It was made for someone who was using an iPod Touch 4th Gen. I've yet to hear from him, but I guess it should work since it does work with my iPod Video

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
This one is made whit that pin schematic, and works with my iphone 4G, iPod Classic 6th Generation and iPod Touch 1st Generation.

I never understood how people could like Viablue plugs. Apart from its price, don't you hate how the hole from which the wires exit from is too big? Especially so when you use 28 or 30 AWG wires. There's so much space for the wires to wiggle round which simply reduces the durability of the solder job

Jun 1, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #11 of 13
You're right. They are very overprised. But the hole has different thicknesses, by unscrewen the screw you can manage the exit hole. I use 24AWG and with the screw, you can tighten the wires, so it will not wiggle and it's very durable. And also, I put glue or epoxy on the soldered contacts. So, mine LOD's are very durable, even with the Viablue connector. But I want to try other 3,5mm jacks. I just ordered a few others, just for the try. And I think I like those much better. Thanks for the comment 'thepedestrian', I'm looking forward to those new jacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back