Help! Dolby Headphone DTS Portable!
Nov 24, 2010 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Shipley

New Head-Fier
I really need help here guys, as I am in over my head. I want a device to connect to my blu-ray's optical out, as well as my Xbox 360's. I have been hearing about the Astro Mixamp and the JVC SU DH1 as well as other packs containing headphone/decoder combo's. I already have headphones in mind to buy, and I just want a decoder/encoder or whatever it's called. I keep hearing DTS is much superior to plain Dolby digital, so the problem becomes that the Astro doesn't support that, neither does the turtle beach DSS. The JVC does, but it is supposedly 'crap' or 'out of date' from what I have seen on forums, as well as it was discontinued a long time ago. I just don't understand what options there are for someone who already owns headphones and wants surround sound DTS without a Home theater receiver. I don't want to drop $500 on a huge freaking receiver just for this purpose. Help!?

Nov 26, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #5 of 7
[size=10pt]DTS does sound great, but it’s definitely not as prevalent as Dolby when it comes to encoding. In the headphone realm, DTS isn’t making as much as an effort as Dolby. [/size]

[size=10pt]With newer devices, like the ones you mentioned -Astro Mixamp, the Tb DSS- Dolby has played a key role in development of the technology, both in software and hardware.[/size]

[size=10pt]Pioneer and Sony offer DTS/Dolby headphone DAC/AMPs, but they too are also paired with headphones- and at a premium.[/size]

[size=10pt]Keep in mind, the source (Game/Movie) is going to work best with the encoding that it’s coupled with. I don’t think DTS has encoded much of anything for the 360- so again, many of the gaming products out there are going to tout the Dolby HP logo.[/size]

[size=10pt]I also PMed you some info.[/size]

Nov 26, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
[size=10pt]DTS does sound great, but it’s definitely not as prevalent as Dolby when it comes to encoding. In the headphone realm, DTS isn’t making as much as an effort as Dolby. [/size]

[size=10pt]With newer devices, like the ones you mentioned -Astro Mixamp, the Tb DSS- Dolby has played a key role in development of the technology, both in software and hardware.[/size]

[size=10pt]Pioneer and Sony offer DTS/Dolby headphone DAC/AMPs, but they too are also paired with headphones- and at a premium.[/size]

[size=10pt]Keep in mind, the source (Game/Movie) is going to work best with the encoding that it’s coupled with. I don’t think DTS has encoded much of anything for the 360- so again, many of the gaming products out there are going to tout the Dolby HP logo.[/size]

[size=10pt]I also PMed you some info.[/size]

Thank you! Finally some information! Another question, when used with Blu-ray discs over optical cable do you think the difference between Dolby Digital and DTS is significant enough to justify getting the JCV over the DSS or Astro? If there is negligible difference between the 2 formats, I might just go with the DSS.

Mar 12, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #7 of 7
am in the same situation am currently trying out the mixamp and its good but cant help and think what am i missing from not having DTS

i mostly play on PS3 and there is some games that do offer DTS ( i own 3)

does anyone have info on finding a good dolby headphone decoder that has DTS?

i already a own a decent set of cans for gaming and i don't care if the decoder comes with headphones since i wont use them i just care about having a good decoder

please help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back