Help: Does polarity matter when rewiring headphones?
Feb 25, 2019 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

AndroidVageta

500+ Head-Fier
EDIT: Problem solved so no need for further advice unless you've just something to add for future possible search engine results lol! Thanks everyone!

Just put a new cable on my earbuds (soldered on) and they're out of phase. Normal 3.5mm unbalanced cable.

So...if I just swap the positive and negative wires on one said will this fix this? Does it matter I end up having, say, the negative wire on the positive terminal on the speaker and vice versa?

In other words, if the headphones aren't out of phase after I swap the wires around in one side is the problem fixed or does the positive/negative ends of the cable HAVE to go to the correct positive/negative terminals on the speakers?

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #2 of 7
The two buds need to be in phase with each other or they will sound awful, barely listenable. That's the only thing that really matters with this as far as phase is concerned. If the two buds are in phase w/ each other but both together are out of phase (e.g. at the plug) it really doesn't matter, because some amps invert phase themselves even. Not audible.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 7
Just put a new cable on my earbuds (soldered on) and they're out of phase. Normal 3.5mm unbalanced cable.

So...if I just swap the positive and negative wires on one said will this fix this? Does it matter I end up having, say, the negative wire on the positive terminal on the speaker and vice versa?

In other words, if the headphones aren't out of phase after I swap the wires around in one side is the problem fixed or does the positive/negative ends of the cable HAVE to go to the correct positive/negative terminals on the speakers?
shouldnt matter what the colors are as long as the signal is going the right place and the drivers are moving in phase. If it sounds great I wouldnt stress.

In theory its possible to have the drivers in phase with each other but out of phase with the recording. Meaning that they both go out at the same time but they should be moving IN instead. This is called "absolute" phase and it probably depends on the design, but its really not audible. And one could argue that most recordings probably have tracks where such phase isnt preserved anyhow. So if it sounds good like it is then just roll with it.

IMHO its an ok rule of wiring to chose any color if you are consistent.

Feb 25, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 7
The two buds need to be in phase

shouldnt matter what the colors are

Swapped one side and they sound fine now! Thanks for the tips guys, finished product:

QU7fH3Q.jpg

Feb 25, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 7
Glad you got them working but still can’t stand earbuds sorry but they just hurt my ears. Tried a pair of VE Monks and they did sound ok and probably worth $5 that is the far as I will go with earbuds.

Feb 25, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 7
Glad you got them working but still can’t stand earbuds sorry but they just hurt my ears. Tried a pair of VE Monks and they did sound ok and probably worth $5 that is the far as I will go with earbuds.

Yeah buds aren't for everyone...if it's not a fitment issue then it's a sound issue because of fit. Differences with foams are dramatic as well. Donut foams, full coverage foams, whether you need one or two on for better sound (yes more than one foam is a thing), etc etc.

Honestly, I've now owned and have listened to a good amount of buds and I'm starting to be a little unconvinced of their audio prowess. The Cypherus Audio Camp Fred 2's that I have are HIGHLY reviewed and rated yet...meh...they're OK. I feel like my MusicMaker Shockwave 3 IEM's are FAR superior in every way except sound stage...but the aforementioned buds are also 2.5mm balanced vs. 3.5mm unbalanced of my Shockwave 3's so even my IEM's might match the buds soundstage if I made them balanced as well.

I also thought the VE Monks were VERY unimpressive as well, even for $5. Maybe I got a bonk pair but they were also VE Monk Plus's with the above cable attached to them so they were definitely nicer than the "stock" Monks.

Either way, I'm debating my whole earbud usage ATM, keep swapping back and forth from them and my IEM's and just keep hearing details and nuances in the IEM's that the buds simply can NOT render...even with EQ applied.

Feb 25, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 7
I myself just can’t stand earbuds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back