Help design the new Ultrasone Edition 10, Pro 850 and Pro 2600 Headphones
Jul 28, 2008 at 7:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

Peter Pinna

1000+ Head-Fier
[size=xx-small]I want to make it clear that Ultrasone has not made any announcement about creating an Edition 10, Pro 850 and Pro 2600 Model Headphones (that I know about). However, if there were such plans by Ultrasone, and you were able to help design these headphones, taking into consideration the current models, how would you design these new model headphones and what features would you make a part of them?
[/size]

Here are my answers:
The Edition 10:
Cups to be made from wood;
Detachable threaded cable connection similar to the Pro 750;
An option for cloth pads (same material as Pro pads) for a reduced cost;
An option of 2 ear cup and pad sizes (the circumference) to accommodate different ear sizes;
All else the same as the Edition 9

The Pro 850 and 2600:
Slightly looser headband;
An option of 2 ear cup and pad sizes (the circumference) to accommodate different ear sizes;
Put the connection of the cable to the ear cup somewhat higher on the ear cup;
All else the same as the Pro 750 and Pro 2500.

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #2 of 56
Really only thoughts on an upgraded 780 -

- USE DECENT LEATHER FOR THE DAMNED EAR PADS. And get rid of the tiny little headband pad and switch to either a wider, more lightly-padded headband, or put a much softer, full-width full-length pad on the narrow headband. Thicker and softer earpads.

- Slightly deeper and larger circumference enclosures.

- More musical depth and more air around the instruments (driver tweak).

- Shorter cord (really, nine feet?).

Jul 28, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #3 of 56
hmmm, let me see...my idea are:

1. Edition10
- still oval cups as Ed9, but using velour pads material...
- still using original cup and chassis like Edition 9 too, black chrome look nice...
- different headband (non foldable) like fullsize AKG/Beyer/ATH that more durable and more comfy to use it all nite or fall asleep...
- Y split cable but detachable threaded like PL750/2500 with coiled form...about 1 or 1,5 M long...
- option Y split cable with straight form, 3M long...
- extra pads like Ed9 soft genuine Ethiopian hair sheep leather in dark grey
- cleaning towel, brochure with instruction manual. and other things like Edition9...

2. PROline 850
- still using the same factor (round) but come in different colourscheme (all black and dark grey) and logo as the PRO750 use (metal look)
- different headband than the older version (PL750), much more like Edition 10, non foldable...but moving/pivot hinge on each cups...

3. PROline 2600
- still using the same factor (round) but come in different colourscheme (all black and dark grey)...all open grilled, with just a lil' logo write PROlines2600 and place like AKG K501...
- different headband than the older version (PL750), much more like Edition 10, non foldable...but moving/pivot hinge on each cups...

maybe if i had times i'll do some vector picts to share here on the thread, so all of you know how it look, base on my imagination...
tongue.gif
maybeee...

Jul 28, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #4 of 56
for the new HFI series if it was to exist.

- Headbands made out of something other then hard plastic. Like a Lighter metal with rush protection.

-Deeper and wider Cups.

-Higher Quailty cabling on the headphones if removeable cord isnt added.

-Hard cover case with a handle for carrying around

-Cloth use to clean the headphones off

Pro 850

-Cloth used to clean off the headphones.

Jul 28, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #5 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Pinna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Put the connection of the cable to the ear cup somewhat higher on the ear cup

either higher or angled differently . . . those with short neck get jabbed in shoulder with connector/cable
frown.gif

Jul 28, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 56
Make them look and feel less like $20 Sony DJ headphones.

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #9 of 56
How about mids that aren't plasticky, highs that don't drill holes in your ears, and bass that isn't boomy?

I don't care what the design is. The current design would be more than good enough if the headphones could stick to a flat FR and actually convey instruments with accurate tone. They have the detail, the separation, and the speed (for a dynamic) but that FR throws everything out of whack.

Note: this is in response to the 2500. I haven't heard the others.

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #10 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't care what the design is. The current design would be more than good enough if the headphones could stick to a flat FR and actually convey instruments with accurate tone. They have the detail, the separation, and the speed (for a dynamic) but that FR throws everything out of whack.

Agreed!

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #11 of 56
I like everything about the ED9's save for the cup size being a bit too small, and the fact that they physically don't give you the impression of a $1500 headphone.

So I guess: Bigger cups for us larger-eared people
Higher quality build materials

Jul 28, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #12 of 56
Just thought about something esle, change the size changing of the headbands. so they dont change on you while your putting them on your head. Like they lock in place or something.

Getting tired of having it on 3 on another ear and it going to 2 on another.

Jul 28, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #13 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about mids that aren't plasticky, highs that don't drill holes in your ears, and bass that isn't boomy?

Hm, if I posted in HD700 or Denon D7000 speculation threads with a comment like this, would I be regarded as a troll? I probably would.
rolleyes.gif

I think an interesting idea for Ultrasone to try would be deeper, acoustically-designed earcups, R10/CD3000 style. S-logic helps create a soundfield that starts in front of you and pans around your head to your sides, making a nice 3D presentation, but the Ultrasones still lack much depth or height to the soundstage.

If they took the idea of S-logic and were able to push the soundfield out to encompass a much bigger area, they'd be much more appealing to the soundstage lovers. Perhaps a driver redesign to increase the speed and resolution of the headphone too, and then they'd have a challenger for the R10's throne.

And they could take a few notes from Sennheiser headband design, the little cushions of padding used on the HD600/HD650 contour far better to the head than the one solid length of padding used on the Pro 750, and it doesnt pull at your hair so much and cause unpleasant sensations on your scalp.

Jul 28, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #14 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
either higher or angled differently . . . those with short neck get jabbed in shoulder with connector/cable
frown.gif

I'd say make a split detachable cable similar to the Sennheisers. That'll be perfect for me
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #15 of 56
2 options for Edition X:

1) Spring steel headband finished on top with black chrome. Inside plush black leather padding all the way, not just on the top.

or

2) Carbon fiber headband, again with leather padding inside.

No plastic anywhere. For both options instead of folding hinges, some clever micro-adjustable mechanism to tweak amount of clamping force.

Slightly bigger inside diameter of ear cups to accommodate larger ears.

No messing with drivers please, they sound good as they are.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back