Help design the new Ultrasone Edition 10, Pro 850 and Pro 2600 Headphones
Jul 29, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #31 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that they have someone in mind for that task, which was hired longtime ago, just for that purpose, and have done it pretty well till now, don't you think?

Not to water your soup guys, but Germans in general, and this is a gross generalization, are very proud of their creations, for good or bad, and usually do not accept too many suggestions, usually German engineering is pretty simple, and works fine...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I LOL'ed when you said German Engineering.
Remember that Volkswagen commercial... "Unpimp Your Ride.."
biggrin.gif

German Engineering in da house, ja!

Jul 29, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #32 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i disagree here somewhat...sennheiser needs some help with their headbands, comfort wise they're not bad but their durability is atrocious. i feel no discomfort from the proline headband (but i did when i first got them). i just stretched it out, and with time the headband padding also became softer. also, i didn't notice any hair being pulled from the proline headband but i guess that really just depends on the person.

i think a better goal would be to achieve what beyerdynamic has with their headbands; so far i haven't seen anything more comfortable.

Agreed, there are far better headbands out there that Sennheiser's, I just picked that one as its the one i've had the longest experience with, and IMO it is a clear step up from the Pro 750's comfort. But then this could just be the fact that I've been wearing the HD600's for much longer.

Jul 29, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #33 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about mids that aren't plasticky, highs that don't drill holes in your ears, and bass that isn't boomy?

I don't care what the design is. The current design would be more than good enough if the headphones could stick to a flat FR and actually convey instruments with accurate tone. They have the detail, the separation, and the speed (for a dynamic) but that FR throws everything out of whack.

Note: this is in response to the 2500. I haven't heard the others.

Try listening to the Pro 750 and see if you like it better. Judging from other posts you've written, I would say that you and I have a similar background in that we have both been around a lot of "live" music and are familiar with the sound of "live" instruments. To my ears, a burned in pair of Pro 750's produces the most life like sound of "live" instruments that I've ever heard from a pair of headphones. The Pro 2500's are a similar sound but with audio hints of the "open" vs. "closed" sound factored in to the overall equation. Consequently, your comments about the Pro 2500 surprise me because all of the musicians who have communicated with me about the Pro 750's have held the same high opinion about them as I do. And, I wouldn't think that a musician would hold that different of an opinion about the 2500's.

Jul 29, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #34 of 56
For the Edition 10, I'd love an OPEN headphone. The Edition 9 is the best pair of headphones I've owned (I've never kept any other headphone for nearly as long), but it still has some odd resonance that you have to get used to. This would also make them more comfortable, and I wouldn't have to worry about sweating on the sheepskin so much.

Also, I'd like a more comfortable headband. The SA5000 has the most comfortable headband I've worn, but even just putting a groove in the foam at the top like sennheiser does to take the pressure off of the crown of my head would be great.

Since break-in affects Ultrasone's products so much more than it does other manufacturer's headphones, I think they should break their top model in before shipping them. It could improve opinion of them on the internet.

Beyond that, I like carbon fiber! It can give better vibration damping than wood, it's durable, lightweight, and just looks sweet. Carbon cups and headband! Wood's not bad either, but you have to be more careful to take care of that.

BTW, has anyone tried putting Ultrasone's updated drivers into an Edition 9? That could possibly work well. They use the same drivers as the old 2500 and 750.

Jul 29, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #35 of 56
Not sure what the big deal of the open back headphones is, as IMO that defeats one of the main purposes of headphone listening, the isolation, what leads you enjoy the whole dynamic range with not much effort, with a poor isolation, recordings with great dynamic range will suffer, unless you crank them up, as the room noise, for small that it could be, will be interfering with the very low passages in the recordings, same as in speakers...

OTOH, I have not heard a single open headphone that I have enjoyed more than the closed ones that I have in good regard...with the exception of the Orpheus...

Have you ever think that "those odd resonances" that you hear with the Editions are maybe part of the refelxions of the sound and part of the recordings, and that maybe the open back do not let you listen them due to the poor isolation...just a thought...Those recording studios are not optimal regarding the reflexions in walls, etc...in most fo the cases...
wink.gif

I feel the same way with the Qualias, and they are not so closed, it is a matter of resolution, not the nature of the headphones IMO...

Jul 29, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #36 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by steaxauce /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Beyond that, I like carbon fiber! It can give better vibration damping than wood, it's durable, lightweight, and just looks sweet. Carbon cups and headband! Wood's not bad either, but you have to be more careful to take care of that.

Just curious, but how does that work? I know a few guys tried some CF enclosures, vs the normal MDF or fiberglass, when I was into car audio, and they didn't work at all because of resonance issues - evidently CF had even worse resonance response than normal fiberglass.

Now, it would be cool to see a headband that was layered CF and damping material. I think that could be done relatively easily (although, granted, much more easily and cheaper using fiberglass) and could show some benefits over the plastic ones they're using now.

Jul 29, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #37 of 56
Quote:

Not sure what the big deal of the open back headphones is, as IMO that defeats one of the main purposes of headphone listening, the isolation, what leads you enjoy the whole dynamic range with not much effort, with a poor isolation, recordings with great dynamic range will suffer, unless you crank them up, as the room noise, for small that it could be, will be interfering with the very low passages in the recordings, same as in speakers...

OTOH, I have not heard a single open headphone that I have enjoyed more than the closed ones that I have in good regard...with the exception of the Orpheus...

Have you ever think that "those odd resonances" that you hear with the Editions are maybe part of the refelxions of the sound and part of the recordings, and that maybe the open back do not let you listen them due to the poor isolation...just a thought...Those recording studios are not optimal regarding the reflexions in walls, etc...in most fo the cases...
wink.gif

I feel the same way with the Qualias, and they are not so closed, it is a matter of resolution, not the nature of the headphones IMO...

As to whether or not you need isolation, I guess that depends on your circumstances. I'm guessing that most owners of headphones as expensive as the Edition 9 use them almost exclusively at home. For me that's not usually a noisy environment, and I would happily sacrifice isolation if it meant improved sound quality, but I can definitely see your point. Closed headphones are ideal for many listeners.

I don't think the sound I'm hearing is an artifact of the recordings. I listen mostly to classical music, but also to some other stuff. The classical music I listen to is usually recorded in concert halls, and while the Edition 9 is, again, the best headphone I've owned (and I've owned lots of headphones), it still doesn't quite sound like being there. The best I can describe it is to say they sound a little congested, and I've never heard that in an open headphone. But you may be right about that not being because the Edition 9 is closed. Ultrasone knows whether or not they can improve sound quality by going with an open design or not. For my purposes I would prefer if they concentrated on sound quality and didn't worry about isolation in their top-end headphone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonicLemming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious, but how does that work? I know a few guys tried some CF enclosures, vs the normal MDF or fiberglass, when I was into car audio, and they didn't work at all because of resonance issues - evidently CF had even worse resonance response than normal fiberglass.

Now, it would be cool to see a headband that was layered CF and damping material. I think that could be done relatively easily (although, granted, much more easily and cheaper using fiberglass) and could show some benefits over the plastic ones they're using now.

It really depends on the type of carbon fiber. Carbon fiber is made in many different configurations, with different weaves, different amounts of epoxy, etc. It's used extensively in the cycling industry, primarily because of its amazing strength-and-rigidity-to-weight ratio, but also because of its excellent vibration damping characteristics, which is important on a road bike. And check this out:

LandCviolin605.27lg.jpg

Luis and Clark - Custom Made Carbon Fiber Instruments -- Composite Material Musical Instruments

You can build carbon fiber with just about any properties you like, but the cheap stuff that's just meant to give you the look of carbon fiber isn't going to do anything particularly well. It can also be made flexible and springy, which is why I liked the idea of a carbon fiber headband. I was thinking just a thin carbon band with foam on the bottom of it, preferably memory foam, with sheepskin again. :wink: Does the headband have much to do with vibration damping?

Jul 29, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #38 of 56
Quote:

Since break-in affects Ultrasone's products so much more than it does other manufacturer's headphones, I think they should break their top model in before shipping them. It could improve opinion of them on the internet.

That's definitely a great idea. A 200hr factory burn-in would likely raise popular oppinion on Ultrasone quite alot.

Jul 29, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #39 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's definitely a great idea. A 200hr factory burn-in would likely raise popular oppinion on Ultrasone quite alot.

But what if they burn in my pair using Classical music while I am a Rock fan???
eek.gif

Jul 29, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #40 of 56
Quote:

wink.gif

It seems to me that closed headphones have better (or at least louder) bass response, but open headphones seem to make the details a bit more clear. I don't think there is a "perfect" design.

I think different people listen to headphones for different reasons... isolation really isn't too much of a priority for me with the exception of my computer rig (my computer is LOUD thanks to an elaborate liquid cooling system). There are certainly times when I'm listening to my open headphones that I wish I couldn't hear the air conditioning when it kicks on, but that's only a problem for a few months a year and it's probably not anything a normal (ie, non-audiophile) person would notice.

This last part is totally off-topic, but since you are the Rudistor guy... have you had a chance to hear the Coriolan 2 yet? Rudi is dropping mine in the mail tomorrow. WOOHOO!

Jul 29, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #41 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But what if they burn in my pair using Classical music while I am a Rock fan???
eek.gif

Just tell them to use Metallica with the San Francisco Symphony!

Jul 29, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #42 of 56
Quote:

As to whether or not you need isolation, I guess that depends on your circumstances. I'm guessing that most owners of headphones as expensive as the Edition 9 use them almost exclusively at home. For me that's not usually a noisy environment, and I would happily sacrifice isolation if it meant improved sound quality, but I can definitely see your point. Closed headphones are ideal for many listeners.

I don't think the sound I'm hearing is an artifact of the recordings. I listen mostly to classical music, but also to some other stuff. The classical music I listen to is usually recorded in concert halls, and while the Edition 9 is, again, the best headphone I've owned (and I've owned lots of headphones), it still doesn't quite sound like being there. The best I can describe it is to say they sound a little congested, and I've never heard that in an open headphone. But you may be right about that not being because the Edition 9 is closed. Ultrasone knows whether or not they can improve sound quality by going with an open design or not. For my purposes I would prefer if they concentrated on sound quality and didn't worry about isolation in their top-end headphone.

The most quiet envoronment that you could possibly get home will be around 30db, that means that you need to increase the volume to listen the lowest passage over 30db or more, let's say that you have a recording with 90db of dynamic range, do your math how much you need to increase the volume to get the whole spectrum to be heard if the headphone is open back...to open the back will not get better quality just a different presentation, just take a look at the rest fo the high end, R-10, L3000, JVC woody, Editon 9 and 7, Beyer DT880, 770 (wel those have a little openings) CD3K, AT, etc...as opposed to the open counterparts...K701, HDxx0, K-1000, well these are half spectrum speakers, Grados...etc...

Not sure what your preference is but I would take any day the closed ones over the open in that list anyday...

Now about the other part, in musical instruments the final goal is all the opposite as in heapdhones, they have a resonace chamber, what means they need materials and volume/geometries that resonate at given freq, to acentuate the sound, all the opposite of headphones IIRC...

Jul 29, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #43 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems to me that closed headphones have better (or at least louder) bass response, but open headphones seem to make the details a bit more clear. I don't think there is a "perfect" design.

I think different people listen to headphones for different reasons... isolation really isn't too much of a priority for me with the exception of my computer rig (my computer is LOUD thanks to an elaborate liquid cooling system). There are certainly times when I'm listening to my open headphones that I wish I couldn't hear the air conditioning when it kicks on, but that's only a problem for a few months a year and it's probably not anything a normal (ie, non-audiophile) person would notice.

This last part is totally off-topic, but since you are the Rudistor guy... have you had a chance to hear the Coriolan 2 yet? Rudi is dropping mine in the mail tomorrow. WOOHOO!

Guys do not take me wrong while I mentioned the isolation is not under a plain or in the train station, I was talking of normal homes, the noise of for example an air conditioner, a car passing by, the noise of TV or radio, the noise of the fridge, if you add all those noises you go easily over 30-40db in any home, in order to fully listen the whole spectrum you have to go over the noise, otherwise you are mixing it, with the noise....but if you do not care about that effect, that is cool, I couldn't bear the noises while I'm listening music...

Earwicker the Coriolan2 is a totally new amp the first edition was only for a few selected guys which as logic indicates I was not part of that selective crew, they were mainly Rudi's firends...just post your impressions while you receive it please, I'm as anxious as you are in hearing some opinions..

An sorr yto disagree 100% with you, the most resolving headphones out there are mainly all closed...the edition is IMO one of them....

Jul 29, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #44 of 56
Quote:

An sorr yto disagree 100% with you, the most resolving headphones out there are mainly all closed...the edition is IMO one of them....

Eh...I don't know. I haven't listened to the "big gun" cans, but my 501s have a lot better resolution/detail/placement than my 780s. The 780s have good detail, pretty damn good to me, but the 501s seem to allow things to come out more clearly. I think part of it might be that less bass allows for better fine detail resolution. *shrug*

Granted, I could be completely off once you start hitting the more expensive closed stuff, but I'm just running with what I've listened to so far.

Jul 30, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #45 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonicLemming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh...I don't know. I haven't listened to the "big gun" cans, but my 501s have a lot better resolution/detail/placement than my 780s. The 780s have good detail, pretty damn good to me, but the 501s seem to allow things to come out more clearly. I think part of it might be that less bass allows for better fine detail resolution. *shrug*

Granted, I could be completely off once you start hitting the more expensive closed stuff, but I'm just running with what I've listened to so far.

The 780 is not in the same league of the Editions...neither the 501...not even the 701 or the well regarded k-1000, IMO...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back