Help deciding headphones now !
Dec 26, 2018 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

EzequielFriscia

Head-Fier
Ok guys I’m kinda tired of lookin and reading every possible review and user experience.
I wan to buy one among the three big ones @ Massdrop. I think it’s kinda decided already.

To know:
- I loved the dark signature of the Sony 1R, Z7’s and I liked quite a lot the Fiio’s FH5
- I really apppreciated headphones like MDR-100AAP / MDR-1A or even Fiio F9 Pro, but the spikes they have in the treble, as low as in the 100AAP, really kills me every time (I have to admit that with the 100AAP it was not that bad but they didn’t work for everything I use to listen)

Knowing that, among the AKG-7XX, HE-4XX and HD-6XX, the last one would be the one to go for me right?
Now, if I throw the HD-58X I’m completely lost, I read that they are not as detailed as the 6XX and it’s something I’d like to have/keep, although, in the othe hard, I like more bass / sub-bass. If going with the 6XX I was thinking about adding a Loki EQ (Will try them first before buying the Loki)

What do you think overall? I really want something to use for hours hours and hours, I don’t want to feel fatigue. Number 1 use will be music, 2nd movies, and 3rd games but I really don’t care about the performance with games.

Thanks a lot !

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 9
Based off of that information, none of those will work for you except for maybe the HE-4XX. And that will only work with proper amplification and an EQ to bring up the lows. The HD6XX will be a good compliment to those headphones you listed and are great headphones overall, but they will not give you quite the signature you’re looking for.

If you’re looking for something in the $200 and below price range, I would recommend taking advantage of the B-Stock sale at Audeze.com and buying either the iSine 10 earphones or the Audeze Sine on-ear headphones. Or, if you budgeted for more, the LCD2 Classic.

For reference, I like the same warm sound signature as you and I own the HD6XX, HD58X, HE-4XX, MDR-1A, FH5, iSine 10, Audeze Sine, and the LCD2 Classic. Out of those the Audeze headphones are the most enjoyable listening experience to me and fit exactly what you’re looking for. But I do love the HD6XX and the HD58X if I’m listening to classical and jazz.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 9
Based off of that information, none of those will work for you except for maybe the HE-4XX. And that will only work with proper amplification and an EQ to bring up the lows. The HD6XX will be a good compliment to those headphones you listed and are great headphones overall, but they will not give you quite the signature you’re looking for.

If you’re looking for something in the $200 and below price range, I would recommend taking advantage of the B-Stock sale at Audeze.com and buying either the iSine 10 earphones or the Audeze Sine on-ear headphones. Or, if you budgeted for more, the LCD2 Classic.

For reference, I like the same warm sound signature as you and I own the HD6XX, HD58X, HE-4XX, MDR-1A, FH5, iSine 10, Audeze Sine, and the LCD2 Classic. Out of those the Audeze headphones are the most enjoyable listening experience to me and fit exactly what you’re looking for. But I do love the HD6XX and the HD58X if I’m listening to classical and jazz.

Well awesome answer ! I really appreciate it !

About the HE-4XX that’s exactly what I thought till I read users complaining about some sibilance and fatiguing, then I checked the FRs and saw those spikes between the 7kHz and 10kHz (Similar bump as the fiios and 1A, they just drill my brain)

About the gear I really don’t know, I sold everything and I think I will buy around whatever I choose. I was considering Magni 3 + Modi 3 (Loki Optional) or Topping DX3 Pro. Maybe something else but those are my primary options, they combine with my ecosystem and gear too hahaha.

I wish I just could have some HD-6XX or HE-4XX to try with Eq (Maybe rising the lows like you said and killing a bit that treble in the 7-10 area). You think I won’t like the 6XX as a daily driver? I can’t afford to spend so much at the moment because I’m moving, marrying, papers and bla bla bla. It’s a nightmare.

BTW. I tried once the LCD2, amazing cans. Amazing is short.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 9
Well awesome answer ! I really appreciate it !

About the HE-4XX that’s exactly what I thought till I read users complaining about some sibilance and fatiguing, then I checked the FRs and saw those spikes between the 7kHz and 10kHz (Similar bump as the fiios and 1A, they just drill my brain)

About the gear I really don’t know, I sold everything and I think I will buy around whatever I choose. I was considering Magni 3 + Modi 3 (Loki Optional) or Topping DX3 Pro. Maybe something else but those are my primary options, they combine with my ecosystem and gear too hahaha.

I wish I just could have some HD-6XX or HE-4XX to try with Eq (Maybe rising the lows like you said and killing a bit that treble in the 7-10 area). You think I won’t like the 6XX as a daily driver? I can’t afford to spend so much at the moment because I’m moving, marrying, papers and bla bla bla. It’s a nightmare.

BTW. I tried once the LCD2, amazing cans. Amazing is short.

I think you will love the HD-6XX. It’s what turned me into an audiophile and I do prefer them over the HE-4XX. You won’t come close to getting the low-end bass like the Sony’s or FH5 that you listed, but I feel you’ll get used to the bass over time like I did because it is clean.

By the way, the iSine 10 is going for $189 and the Audeze Sine is going for $149 currently with free shipping and no tax. All my Audeze gear is B-Stock and arrived in brand new condition. Just FYI.

Either way, you can’t go wrong with the HD-6XX or deciding to jump on the Audeze gear.

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 9
I just saw the Sine (Closed) for U$150, it’s a steal ! Now between the reg Sine and Sine DX do you know in your experience which one is better? With you response, and since you have the same taste it seems, I think I’ll nail it between the 6XX and one of those, and I really hope I can get use to them because I really want to enjoy open back, soundstage and more detail without drilling my ears. Worst case scenario if I don’t like the 6XX I can sell them back in my home country for full price or more.

Dec 27, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 9
I just saw the Sine (Closed) for U$150, it’s a steal ! Now between the reg Sine and Sine DX do you know in your experience which one is better? With you response, and since you have the same taste it seems, I think I’ll nail it between the 6XX and one of those, and I really hope I can get use to them because I really want to enjoy open back, soundstage and more detail without drilling my ears. Worst case scenario if I don’t like the 6XX I can sell them back in my home country for full price or more.

Unfortunately, I’ve never heard the Sine DX so I couldn’t tell you the sound difference. My guess is that they’ll have a wider soundstage and possibly a fuller body sound because they’re open back, but I’m not 100% sure. I can tell you, though, that the Sine sounds great. There may be some reviews and comparison videos on YouTube to help you with your question.

Treble will not be an issue with th 6XX, but they are mid to upper-mid forward (vocals & instruments), so if you are okay with that, you should be fine.

Dec 27, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #7 of 9
Ok guys I’m kinda tired of lookin and reading every possible review and user experience.
I want to buy one among the three big ones @ Massdrop. I think it’s kinda decided already.
Knowing that, among the AKG-7XX, HE-4XX and HD-6XX, the last one would be the one to go for me right?
Now, if I throw the HD-58X I’m completely lost, I read that they are not as detailed as the 6XX and it’s something I’d like to have/keep, although, in the othe hard, I like more bass / sub-bass. If going with the 6XX I was thinking about adding a Loki EQ (Will try them first before buying the Loki)
What do you think overall? I really want something to use for hours hours and hours, I don’t want to feel fatigue. Number 1 use will be music, 2nd movies, and 3rd games but I really don’t care about the performance with games. Thanks a lot !
Do you have a DAC/head amp?
What source are you connecting your audio to?
What is your over all budget?

Dec 27, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #8 of 9
Unfortunately, I’ve never heard the Sine DX so I couldn’t tell you the sound difference. My guess is that they’ll have a wider soundstage and possibly a fuller body sound because they’re open back, but I’m not 100% sure. I can tell you, though, that the Sine sounds great. There may be some reviews and comparison videos on YouTube to help you with your question.

Treble will not be an issue with th 6XX, but they are mid to upper-mid forward (vocals & instruments), so if you are okay with that, you should be fine.

Just like I thought. Thanks tons for the advices !

Do you have a DAC/head amp?
What source are you connecting your audio to?
What is your over all budget?

Overall $500 / $600

Users who are viewing this thread

Back