[Help] DAC/AMP + Ear Force DSS + Sennheiser RS180. I'm a kind of lost in here.
May 8, 2011 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mechamorafa

New Head-Fier
Hi. I have a Sennheiser RS180 that I use to listen to music on my PC, but my onboard soundcard sucks. Bad resolution, bad speed, some of hiss, well, bad quality in general. I want to buy a USB DAC to have a better signal going to the RS180. This is not a problem since there is a lot of good DACs for good prices out there, the thing is that I also use this Headphone to play and watch Blu-Ray in my PS3 using an Ear Force DSS (that only has analog output) and the RS180 has only one input. So I need a DAC that also has Analog Input, wich I think it has to be a DAC/AMP. The interconnection would be something like this:  

I've read a lot before creating this post but I couldn't tell what is the best solution for me. I don't want to spend too much money on this because the RS180 is not a Hi-End Headphone and I think it would be a waste of money buying an expensive DAC/AMP to use in it. I want to spend around U$100 to buy the best possible equipment with this conditions:

- DAC with much better sound quality than my Asus P7D55 onboard soundcard to listen to music.
- Analog Input to plug my Ear Force DSS.
- Price around U$100.
- Selling on eBay (or another store that accepts PayPal and ships to Brazil)

I found a DAC/AMPs on eBay called ORDO (http://cgi.ebay.com/ORDO-TA2024-USB-T-AMP-Amplifier-Headphone-amp-PCM2704-/320686443985?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aaa66cdd1) but I don't have knowledge enough to tell if this DAC will improve the quality of my musics enough to justify the buying.

Am I wishing too much?
Can you guys help me?

Thanks already.

May 8, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 7
Isn't the RS180 wireless? It doesn't make much sense to use a DAC with a headphone amp/output section, or analog input, when the amplified signal out of it won't drive the headphone. Might as well get a good DAC, then use some sort of source switcher before the RS180 inputs to switch between the stereo DAC for music and the surround processor (which is also a DAC, but the focus is on rendering surround sound.)

Something like this, but note there are other products out there: http://cgi.ebay.com/TCC-TC-37-3-2-Way-Source-Speaker-Selector-/400083052706?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d26cee8a2

Another option is to jsut get a new surround processor altogether. Like an old Marantz HT receiver, that way it's smooth and sweet for music too. Problem is, which is why I'm not into HT, product cycles and obsolescence are just too plain short. You either spend $500 now, or spend $250 and then there's probably a newer sound format that won't be compatible with it.

Third option is to just get a separate DAC-Amp and headphone for listening to music on the PC. Maybe a uDAC2, and then get a Grado - or better yet, a good IEM so you can use it with a portable player.

May 8, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
Isn't the RS180 wireless? It doesn't make much sense to use a DAC with a headphone amp/output section, or analog input, when the amplified signal out of it won't drive the headphone. Might as well get a good DAC, then use some sort of source switcher before the RS180 inputs to switch between the stereo DAC for music and the surround processor (which is also a DAC, but the focus is on rendering surround sound.)

Something like this, but note there are other products out there: http://cgi.ebay.com/TCC-TC-37-3-2-Way-Source-Speaker-Selector-/400083052706?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d26cee8a2

Another option is to jsut get a new surround processor altogether. Like an old Marantz HT receiver, that way it's smooth and sweet for music too. Problem is, which is why I'm not into HT, product cycles and obsolescence are just too plain short. You either spend $500 now, or spend $250 and then there's probably a newer sound format that won't be compatible with it.

Third option is to just get a separate DAC-Amp and headphone for listening to music on the PC. Maybe a uDAC2, and then get a Grado - or better yet, a good IEM so you can use it with a portable player.

I understand that is not necessary an amplified output to drive the RS180, since it has an amp in the headphone, but a DAC+AMP would have an analog input to plug the DSS along with a switch between the sources in just one equipment. Besides, I think that a DAC with analog Line-In and amplified output would give me more versatility and commodity to plug in other sources and other headphones. Although the option of DAC+Source Switcher is not completely negligible.

I think that I would go with the DAC+Amp, even with the unnecessary amplified output. Unless its amplified output could damage the RS180 in some way, wich I think it's unlikely since I don't send clips and noise to it.

Considering the options of a DAC+Amp and DAC+Source Switcher, wich equipments would you indicate?

May 9, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 7
If you don't play games on your PC and it's purely for music, I say get a source selector and a UDAC2. You connect that via USB, then connect the preamp outputs (not the headphone out) to the switcher along with the DSS, then just switch. At any point down the road you can pick up a Grado or an IEM (that you can also use with a portable player) and hook that up to the UDAC2's headphone out. Another option is the Audinst. In any case get one that's really mroe of a DAC than an amp, as long as it has a preamp output, so if later on you decide to upgrade your cans it's easy enough to add an amp. In the case of the UDAC(2) you'll just have to set teh gain properly because it doesn't send out a fixed level signal.

BTW, you don't have to buy the switcher online. Go to those electronics supply stores, like the shops where EE students get their supplies, and they might have kits or even assembled kits. Or maybe talk to one of the students there and ask them to assemble and you'll get 'em beer or steak or something.

May 9, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 7
Since I have only $100 to spend in this, I decided to stick with the DAC and use a simple switch to select the source. Or maybe a better soundcard. I think that this way I can get a better equipment than a AMP with DAC. I found an used M-Audio Audiophile 192 for $85 on eBay. There are also some DACs for around $100 like the Aune and some others. Now the question is:

Will a $100 DAC or soundcard improve the sound quality of my music compared to my Asus P7P55D onboard sound?

May 10, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
Since I have only $100 to spend in this, I decided to stick with the DAC and use a simple switch to select the source. Or maybe a better soundcard. I think that this way I can get a better equipment than a AMP with DAC. I found an used M-Audio Audiophile 192 for $85 on eBay. There are also some DACs for around $100 like the Aune and some others. Now the question is:

Will a $100 DAC or soundcard improve the sound quality of my music compared to my Asus P7P55D onboard sound?

It might, or should, but no way to know for sure. Take note that often at the lowest price points you won't get a good enough circuit somewhere (like the PSU, which is why the UDAC at its price point is good, but I wouldn't recommend it if they sold it for over $200) and most often what you're getting is the connectivity. And I've heard the UDAC and others I've at least read reviews for; this M-Audio unit however is something I haven't heard nor read any good reviews about. By that, I mean most reviews are on shopping sites that always just go too broad, you're not sure what the reviewer is talking about: they just say the sound is "fantastic" or "it sucks compared to my (insert $500++ equipment here)."

Try searching for more though, I personally try to not buy anything I haven't heard, or at the very least I have to read many reliable and detailed reviews.

May 10, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
It might, or should, but no way to know for sure. Take note that often at the lowest price points you won't get a good enough circuit somewhere (like the PSU, which is why the UDAC at its price point is good, but I wouldn't recommend it if they sold it for over $200) and most often what you're getting is the connectivity. And I've heard the UDAC and others I've at least read reviews for; this M-Audio unit however is something I haven't heard nor read any good reviews about. By that, I mean most reviews are on shopping sites that always just go too broad, you're not sure what the reviewer is talking about: they just say the sound is "fantastic" or "it sucks compared to my (insert $500++ equipment here)."

Try searching for more though, I personally try to not buy anything I haven't heard, or at the very least I have to read many reliable and detailed reviews.

I would really like to have the opportunity to try diferent equipments of this kind, but the most of the specialized stores here in Brazil usually sell Hi-End equipments. I can try it, but I cannot afford it. This chinese DACs, wich have very good reviews around internet, is quite rare in here.

I've read a lot about it and I found one more DAC to add to my wishlist: Musiland Monitor 02 US. Based on what I've read, it will be unlikely that I get dissapoited with it. At this moment, it is on the top of my list. I will keep on reading about it until I get more secure about what I'm buying.

For now, thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back