Help... Confused and dissapointed with Shure 846 performance
May 22, 2014 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

sumerian

New Head-Fier
Howdy Fellow enthusiasts,

I have recently pulled trigger on Shure 846 after reading all the raving reviews.

I was impressed  by the looks and feel but I was surprisingly disappointed how these IEM's sound.

I let it "burn in" for couple of days and  changed the filter to warm filter before  I started to listen. I am using Iphone5 with ALAC's as  source.

I know Iphone is not a real match for this IEM's but I expected them to alteast sound like the iphone ear buds or the other cheapo ear buds I have.

Am I missing something here? Did I get some fake/replica's ?

I was trying from last two weeks to really like these but I can hardly listen to them for more than 30 mins.

I guessed these may not sound at their best with Iphone5 but I expected them to at least sound like the standard before I could add a DAP/Amp.

Of all the audio gear I purchased by far this the most disappointing purchase not sure if I get DAP with amp will be a game changer.

Any insight or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time to reply.

May 22, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 39
What size of tips are you using? Are you getting a good seal? I like the sound no matter what source or amp I use. Where did you purchase them from? I believe it would be impossible to fake them with all the engineering inside them gems.

May 22, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 39
What size of tips are you using? Are you getting a good seal? I like the sound no matter what source or amp I use. Where did you purchase them from? I believe it would be impossible to fake them with all the engineering inside them gems.

Thanks for the reply.

I am using the medium size foam ear buds. I purchased form a authorized dealer on ebay.

From all the literature/reviews I read,  I am actually confused why they sound like this.

Do I need to allow some more burn in time?

May 22, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 39
  Thanks for the reply.

I am using the medium size foam ear buds. I purchased form a authorized dealer on ebay.

From all the literature/reviews I read,  I am actually confused why they sound like this.

Do I need to allow some more burn in time?

You should see if you can try a dap such as the dx90 or Fiio X5,  if a local reseller has them in stock and on display for demo.  I even the iPod tough 5th gen is a better match than my iPhone 5.  I also noticed a big improvement with my silver cable from Ted's Headphone lounge.

May 22, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #5 of 39
Maybe a description of what you don't like about the sound would be in order. Lack of bass? High frequencies rolled off? Congested? I am not sure of the output impedance of the iPhone 5 - but the Shures are what - 9ohms? Kinda picky about source from what I've heard....

oh, and they aren't fake - lol. No one can duplicate those innards as of yet.

May 22, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 39
  You should see if you can try a dap such as the dx90 or Fiio X5,  if a local reseller has them in stock and on display for demo.  I even the iPod tough 5th gen is a better match than my iPhone 5.  I also noticed a big improvement with my silver cable from Ted's Headphone lounge.

How did you like with em with iphone5? and how much of a improvement they are with Ipod or Dx90?

May 22, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #7 of 39
  Maybe a description of what you don't like about the sound would be in order. Lack of bass? High frequencies rolled off? Congested? I am not sure of the output impedance of the iPhone 5 - but the Shures are what - 9ohms? Kinda picky about source from what I've heard....

oh, and they aren't fake - lol. No one can duplicate those innards as of yet.

I am using the warm filter and yet no bass and I really get tired listening to them.
 I cannot increase the volume as they sound shrill and at low volumes there is no depth at all.

May 22, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #8 of 39
  I am using the warm filter and yet no bass and I really get tired listening to them.
 I cannot increase the volume as they sound shrill and at low volumes there is no depth at all.

You HAVE to get bass out of those IEMs - your seal must be poor - I know that sounds too simple, but these will pound bass hooked up to a squirrel in a cage.

May 22, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #9 of 39
  How did you like with em with iphone5? and how much of a improvement they are with Ipod or Dx90?

I don't have the dx90 yet.  I have the X5 though.  It is an improvement, however if the Shure sound sig. isn't to your liking you still might not like them even through a better source.  I'm not that great at describing the differences, but the bass is definitely tighter through the X5 than with the iPhone.  With the 846's I'd say the vocals are more up front than on my W40's, no matter what source I use.

May 22, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #11 of 39
  I don't have the dx90 yet.  I have the X5 though.  It is an improvement, however if the Shure sound sig. isn't to your liking you still might not like them even through a better source.  I'm not that great at describing the differences, but the bass is definitely tighter through the X5 than with the iPhone.  With the 846's I'd say the vocals are more up front than on my W40's, no matter what source I use.

hmm I will give it a try will different sources and put em for sale if doesn't wrong.

I waited so long to get a shures,  now I cant figure out whether to keep em or not  :)

May 22, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #12 of 39
  hmm I will give it a try will different sources and put em for sale if doesn't wrong.

I waited so long to get a shures,  now I cant figure out whether to keep em or not  :)

It is definitely a different sound sig than the Westone's.  You might even prefer something like the W40's or W60's, as I know the W40's have a much warmer sound and the W60's are supposed to sound similar from what I have read so far, but with more bass and even better detail retrieval.  The 846's have a lot of sub bass but not much mid bass compared to the W40's.  I really enjoy both though:)  The W40's I do find more relaxing while the Shure's I find more engaging.

These are just my opinions though and it would be good if you could find a place to demo a few different sources that won't cost you anything if you still don't like them.

May 22, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #13 of 39
Is it both the right and left sides that sound this way? It should sound great out of your device. It could be that you have a defected pair. I just tried them out of my son iPod touch 5 and his iPhone 5 and they sound great. It might be the 846 sig. Just ant your flavor.

May 22, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #14 of 39
It is just a huge red flag when he states the 846 has no bass - there is something wrong - have you tried foam tips - just to see if something that expands into the nooks and crannies might close everything off better? You sound like you need something to attenuate the high frequencies.

May 23, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #15 of 39
I also agree with you, try the yellow shure foam tips to see if that makes a difference. I love the bass from the se 846 I was just rocking too short and it was like having sub woofers in my ears!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back