Help Choosing The Best Audio Interface For My Use
Jan 9, 2020 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Javild

New Head-Fier
Hello, everyone!

I am starting to get into audio and am currently buying audio gear for my setup. For my next purchase, I am looking for an audio interface. My budget is around $200 USD.

I will be running my Philips X2HR headphones, a pair of monitors, and an XLR mic. I will sometimes record an instrument. I will be using it on a Windows 10 PC, and it will stay on my desk so portability doesn't matter.

I am mostly concerned with getting good audio quality to my headphones, with enough power to get the volume quite loud. I would also like to have a different control for the volume on the monitors and headphones.

I have been looking at some options but I can't decide which is better, and there are not many detailed reviews on some models.

Thank you very much!

Jan 9, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #2 of 5
Most of the interfaces will run your headphones fine but I would not call them high quality as they meant for gaming to use a mic and headphones and yes as recording interfaces as well and some I’m sure do both well but neither will have a high quality headphone output. You are asking a device that will do all of these things like having phantom power for condenser microphones and a ADC and DAC for everything else and then having a great headphone amp as well for all the ones being hooked up to it. Your good and mine might be a bit different.

Jan 10, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #3 of 5
Hello, everyone!

I am starting to get into audio and am currently buying audio gear for my setup. For my next purchase, I am looking for an audio interface. My budget is around $200 USD.

I will be running my Philips X2HR headphones, a pair of monitors, and an XLR mic. I will sometimes record an instrument. I will be using it on a Windows 10 PC, and it will stay on my desk so portability doesn't matter.

I am mostly concerned with getting good audio quality to my headphones, with enough power to get the volume quite loud. I would also like to have a different control for the volume on the monitors and headphones.

I have been looking at some options but I can't decide which is better, and there are not many detailed reviews on some models.

Thank you very much!

@Javild,

Hard to go wrong with either Lexicon Alpha or any of the Focusrite Scarlett Series.

Last year, I retired with honours my Lexicon Alpha which has been running for almost 20 years.

Subjectively & personally, the Alpha has a better headphone output though if you need more, I suggest Presonus HP 4.
Keep in mind though, HP 4 is only a head amp, it has no DAC chip or interface for your mic but depending on what monitors you're using, it can certainly help drive them too.

Feel free to ask when you need.

Hope you have a great day !

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #4 of 5
@Javilid,

Hard to go wrong with either Lexicon Alpha or any of the Focusrite Scarlett Series.

Last year, I retired with honours my Lexicon Alpha which has been running for almost 20 years.

Subjectively & personally, the Alpha has a better headphone output though if you need more, I suggest Presonus HP 4.
Keep in mind though, HP 4 is only a head amp, it has no DAC chip or interface for your mic but depending on what monitors you're using, it can certainly help drive them too.

Feel free to ask when you need.

The Lexicon Alpha is no longer available on online retail stores, do you know where I could get it? I've heard that the Scarlett has a lot of noise on high volumes, and someone recommended the Audient iD4 as an alternative.

Jan 10, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 5
Hi @Javild

Unfortunately, this seems to be the case after I ran a quick search myself though Alto Music may or may not be still getting some units so you can check with them just in case.
Regarding Scarlett interfaces, how high a volume are you listening at as anything beyond 12 o'clock is just too loud...
This is one reason I suggested you also look into the Presonus HP 4 so even if you run high impedance cans, you don't need to go too loud unnecessarily & it will help reduce the noise floor from potentially noisy interfaces.
Can't advise you or help you on ID4 as I have no experience with Audient gear but that brand has a very good rep, the question is whether you may consider their gear pricey & in the unlikely event, potentially messy to use, depending on model.

The only other ridiculously good audio interfaces I have experience with are RME ADI 2 Pro FS & RME Babyface Pro but those are definitely pricey but well worth it but may be more than you currently need but certainly worth looking into.

Sorry couldn't be more help, hope you find this useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back