Help choosing: NVX-XPT100 vs HD 280 vs HD 598 vs SoundMAGIC HP100
Dec 9, 2014 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

TrantaLocked

100+ Head-Fier
I am a previous owner of the HD 280 and actually loved the set, but had to return them for money issues. My main issue with the 280 was that they had a bit too much sub bass and not enough detail/texture in the upper mids and treble (the 280s have a pretty substantial fall off at around 4K). Metal sounds absolutely fantastic through them, but again, the texture is just a little lacking for what I want. I am used to the HD 201s which really provide a lot of texture while still sounding dark (basically a giant triangle with the peak at 1K, but bass side rolls off more than the treble does). The 280s made me realize how unbalanced the 201s are, but at the same time made me want a bit more texture.

What I really want is something similar to the HD 280, but without those two flaws. So basically, a pretty damn neutral set of headphones with good frequency extension both ways, hopefully at $100. Someone recommended the NVX-XPT100, but when I looked at a frequency graph of a similar pair I realized they may be a bit too mid-bassy and have a strange dip in the low mids. In theory, because that set doesn't drop off at 4K like with the 280s, it should sound better to me, but I have no way of demoing them without actually buying them.

Some say the 598s sound neutral, but again I can't demo them, and the response graph shows that while the treble doesn't drop off too hard, the bass clearly overpowers the mids more than with the HD 280s, which is bad. The SoundMAGIC HP100 is apparently close to the Mad Dog in frequency response, but I've never heard either. 

So what do you guys think? Anyone here who has heard all of those headphones and may have a recommendation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back