Help Choosing next IEM (Dunu, Ortofon?)
Jan 11, 2015 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jferreir

Head-Fier
I used to own the Ortofon e-Q5's, and I really enjoyed them as a go-to portable IEM. The sound was crystal clear with the mids being slightly forward and a bit warm. The bass was a little light, but overall, I thought they were great. I especially liked the design and I found them quite comfortable to wear. Unfortunately, I had to toss them when my dog (then puppy) decided to chew them beyond recognition. 

Fast forward a few years, and I still miss those IEMs. I have the Westone UM1 and Shure SE535, which are both excellent IEMs, but I really hate the over-the-ear design, which I find cumbersome to put on and uncomfortable to wear. 

I was thinking of buying another set of Ortofon e-Q5s for general commuting/on-the-go activities, but I'm no longer familiar with the IEM landscape. How do the Ortofon e-Q5s compare to the Dunu DN-2000? Those IEMs looks to be the same sort of build quality/design that I'm after, but I have no idea what they sound like. What brands/models are currently considered the best given my desired sound/design in this price category?

Also, where's the best place to buy these sorts of IEMs? I live in Canada, and there's no obvious retailer in my area. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Jan 12, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #2 of 4
Bump.

Has anything come to market that would blow the Ortofon e-Q5 out of the water (for under $300)? I'm looking for a similar sound signature, robust build quality, and NO over-the-ear design. Advice?

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #3 of 4
  Bump.

Has anything come to market that would blow the Ortofon e-Q5 out of the water (for under $300)? I'm looking for a similar sound signature, robust build quality, and NO over-the-ear design. Advice?

Hifiman RE600 doesn't "blow out of the water" the eQ5, but I've had a lot of experience with both and I would definitely say I prefer the detail and presentation of the RE600. The RE600 also fixes the niggling issue that caused me to sell the eQ5, which was artificial tin-can treble at times. Sound signature is overall pretty similar, though the highs are a little more laid back on the RE600 (not as bad as some make them out to be), and the bass is a lot tighter and a bit more present on the RE600. However, the RE600 don't exactly scream robust build quality, but I haven't had any issue personally.

Jan 11, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 4
I have Dunu 2000J, they are nice but I would not describe them as mid-forward at all. Consensus is that they have a 'U' shaped signature with well extended bass and enhanced upper treble/details, the mids have maybe just a touch of warmth but overall a colder kind of sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back