Help choosing between Soundmagic PL-50 and Brainwavz M2
Aug 1, 2011 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Phosphenetre

100+ Head-Fier

[size=medium]
Hello,

I live in Mumbai, India, where my options for quality (and affordable) in-ears are fairly limited. I presently own a pair of Soundmagic PL-30s that I *love*, but I'm looking for an upgrade. From what seems to be generally recommended here within my price range, I can only find the Soundmagic PL-50 and the Brainwavz M2 available. I'm not in a position to have stuff shipped to me from outside the country, primarily because of shipping costs.

I'm torn between these two particular earphones, and want advice on what would be a better choice.

My sonic preferences, in order of importance, are:

• Clear, present mid-range
  • Detailed, articulate highs, but not sharp
  • Reasonably present lows, not looking for massive or big bass at all
  • Wide soundstage (which I love the PL-30s for), but this is not a major requirement

I'm a musician by profession and also an amateur audio engineer/producer, so what I'm looking for is ultimately a very balanced and representative sound signature, and if possible, wide soundstage for better separation. I love the PL-30s for this reason, but they seem to lack noticeably in the bass department. I like the 'analytical' sound signature as opposed to the 'exciting' or 'fun', coloured type.

Again, where I live, my options are pretty much down to the Soundmagic PL-50 and the Brainwavz M2. Both will cost roughly the same, so cost is not a factor between the two.

Hope this post wasn't too pedantic by Head-Fi standards! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks,
Daniel.

[/size]

Aug 1, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 5
I use the PL-50's and they struck me as SMOOTH with slightly forward mids, the highs are present but not harsh or piercing, it has a little bass "kick" but not as dynamic as other offerings. The PL-50's to me are perfect for Jazz, classical, acoustic, and the such. The stock eartips are OK, but I threw on the tritips that came with my Meelec M6's and they are now MUCH better.
My $0.02

Aug 2, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #3 of 5
So you would say the PL50 has better bass response than the PL30? By better I mean more present in terms of amplitude, and further reaching in terms of frequency spectrum? Because my only real complaint with the PL30 was the poor and aenemic bass response, that rendered the sound signature somewhat thin sounding, in my opinion. 

Aug 2, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #4 of 5
i made the same mistake when i was considering it was an upgrade from pl30 to pl50 but apparently it was not, you shouldnt do that imo. go with m2 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back