Help choosing between 2 sets of headphones. M50s and Q40s
Feb 8, 2013 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Emberglo

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I did try posting in the advice thread but it got overlooked. 

I'm looking for a pair of circumaural headphones.  I've pretty much settled on either the M-Audio Studiophile Q40s or the Audio-Technica ATH-M50. I want good bass as well as decent mids and highs.  I mostly listen to EDM, rock and metal, but I do listen to a little of everything else as well.  I'm sure either of these headphones would blow anything I've owned out of the water but I would like more experienced opinion before dropping the cash.

I mostly use an ipod or a galaxy s3 but I listen from my laptop as well.  Portability and isolation are important.  I can get the Q40s for $99 and the M50s for $128.

Of the two, which would you recommend for what I would like to use them for?

The more reading I've been doing here on Head Fi has been bringing up some issues with the Q40s.  Are they still experiencing quality control issues?  It sounded like the chords were giving out fairly regularly as well as the sound cutting out in one side.

Also wondered if I put an amp like a Fiio F6 on the M50s, if it would up the bass any?  I don't know if I'm a huge bass head but I do enjoy it.

All the threads I've found on this topic have been several years old so I thought I'd ask.

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #2 of 8
the M50 was a very widely recommended headphones on the forum until the price went up from around 100 to 125 now.
people say that it's not a good value headphone anymore, but i think its still in a good price range.
i do own a pair myself and i can definitely say that they have enough bass for most people.
the sound of the M50 is definitely "colored", nowhere near neutral or analytical.
if you like bass you would definitely like the M50.

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #4 of 8
I haven't heard much about quality control issues with the Q40. I borrowed it once to audition and thought that it was pretty good for the price. It has what I'd call earthquake bass. I owned the m50 a LONG time ago. It was okay, but the clamp was too much for me. 

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for the advice guys!

I just placed an order for a pair of the white Audio-Technicas!  Should get them early next week.  All I can say is that I'm very excited!

Feb 10, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys!

I just placed an order for a pair of the white Audio-Technicas!  Should get them early next week.  All I can say is that I'm very excited!

Oh. Will wait for your comments about it. 

I sold my M50's last year. 

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #8 of 8
Nowhere in the UK could I find DT770 pros at a respectable price. So went with Q40s and very pleased with them I am.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back