Help choosing a tube amp
Apr 19, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #16 of 26
Apr 19, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #17 of 26
Keep an eye on the F/S forum as they go fast. A 336se w/tubes just sold the first of the month.

If you go with the Lunchbox, make it the Pro.

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #18 of 26
Most of the OP's headphones are medium-low impedance. Given this, I think the tube-SS hybrid EF1 is the best choice for sure. The ASL OTL III is another good choice since it has a transformer-coupled mode, but the OP indicated it's above his price range. As such, I'd stick with the Head-Direct EF1, which as indicated above comes from Head-Direct, shipped from and serviced from the USA.

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #19 of 26
I know that this is over your budget, but if you are willing to save up a little more you will not be disappointed with a WooAudio product! The build quality is excellent, they sound great and Jack Woo is a pleasure to deal with. Personally I own the WA6, but the smallest one he sells is the WooAudio 3 is excellent as well!

Apr 19, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #20 of 26
In my opinion, if anyone is new to tube amps and wants to try one out and is on a limited budget of couple hundred dollars, I think the Head Direct EF-1 is the best choice. But I also think that the EF 1 is such a fine amp that even an experienced tube amp guy/gal will also appreciate it too. I immensely liked the EF 1 when I heard it so I bought one!

Also consider that the EF 1 was designed to match well with the lower impedance headphones and in ear monitors and these types of headphones seem to be more common these days.

Apr 19, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #21 of 26
It's also a good starting point because the EF1 removes the consideration of what impedance headphones the potential buyer has, and still provides an opening both to tube sound and tube rolling
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #22 of 26
I think the O.P. rejected the ASL OTL MKIII because he looked at the link which was provided to Divergent. Audio Advisor has usually sold the amp for $100 less.....nor does he seemed to have considered finding used amps.. The ASL recommendation was a good one. No matter what - you will want to replace the stock tubes with much better NOS tubes in whatever amp you choose eventually. Skylabs' point (re 'phone compatability) occurred to me when I first read the thread - I also love the Ming Da (from Pacific Valve), but it does not really suit his present 'phones. I expressly use Ming Da for Modded AKG k340, and Beyer dt990/600.

Apr 19, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the O.P. rejected the ASL OTL MKIII because he looked at the link which was provided to Divergent. Audio Advisor has usually sold the amp for $100 less.....nor does he seemed to have considered finding used amps.. The ASL recommendation was a good one. No matter what - you will want to replace the stock tubes with much better NOS tubes in whatever amp you choose eventually. Skylabs' point (re 'phone compatability) occurred to me when I first read the thread - I also love the Ming Da (from Pacific Valve), but it does not really suit his present 'phones. I expressly use Ming Da for Modded AKG k340, and Beyer dt990/600.

Yeah, I did reject the ASL OTL MKIII, as $500 was too high for me, even if it was $100 less it would still be a bit high. And no, I am not opposed to buying a used amp. I have been looking through the For sale section and at audiogon, but I haven't seen anything. I'll continue looking for the next week or so, and then I am probably going to order the head direct-ef1.

My other thought has been to save up for several months and buy a high end tube amp, but I would much rather get a medium level tube amp to try it out, at a later date I can always upgrade to a better amp. I'd also like to grab a pair of high-end headphones, and don't want to blow all my money on an amp all at once. I've been very happy with my relatively cheap solid state amps, and haven't felt a need to upgrade them. So, I am disinclined to make a jump to a $500+ tube amp.

Thanks for all the advice guys, It's been a great help!

Apr 20, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #24 of 26
Umphrey,
Take a look at the Starving Student Mini Millet at Whiplash Audio. Yes it is a hybrid and maybe you want a pure tube amp. The SS is an incredible amp, really the best of both worlds. I have owned both tube and solid state amps and the Starving Student is worth consideration. The low price should not dissuade you this is an amp which performs way beyond its pricepoint. If you really need/want to spend 400 bucks please try the Mini Millet Max also from Whiplash Audio Whiplash Audio Dynamics
and let me know what you think
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers

Apr 21, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Umphrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently got to audition my friend's 2ch sound system. 60 watt Jolida tube amp, PSB image t45 loudspeakers. I really liked the sound of the tubes--very smooth, not a harsh note to be heard, pleasant, no istening fatique. We compared the speakers as driven by a solid state receiver, and the sound was still quite good, but after listening for a while the sound was noticeably harsher, and just didn't seem as "full."

After experiencing the sound of a tube amplifier first hand, I have decided to get a headphone tube amp. My budget is around $250, but can go slightly higher. I'm considering Little Dot I+, little dot MK III, and Dark voice 336se.
I'm currently reading through a whole bunch of threads and doing research on these. I am leery of ordering from china, as I have been hit by customs fees importing stuff before. If someone can advise or reassure me on this, that would be great

Headphone I currently have:
Audio techica ATH-AD700
Sennheiser HD-595
Sennheiser HD-280
Grado Sr-60
I am also considering getting AKG K-701/702s, which I have read to be rather difficult to drive properly, so If possible I would like to get a tube amp that can handle these.

Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated.

May I recommend the Vincent KHV-1 Hybrid

It really is a pleasure and it would fit perfectly to your headphones. It even drives the K701's really great.

Apr 21, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #26 of 26
rasmushorn,
The OP states his budget is $250 or slightly more
wink.gif

I might venture to say the Whiplash Starving Student may give the 900 buck Vincent a run for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back