Help Buying Budget Earphones
May 7, 2011 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DiPoet

New Head-Fier

I believe the type of earphones I want would be called IEM? The type of earphones that go inside the ear like Skullcandy's earphones. Don't want the ones that hang outside and can fall out easily. 

Requirements
Budget is $30 max
Good noise isolation
Good bass (but wont make overall quality suffer for bass)
Good build (not something cheap that shorts out b/c of wires like Skullcandy)

A pair of IEM earphones shaped a bit like Skullcandy when it comes to comfort. Doesn't have to be identical to Skullcandy shape though. I dont like the lack of noise isolation from JVC earphones. I was interested in the M9 after reading some reviews found that the cable makes alot of noise when moving, which I'm trying to avoid when it comes to cable design. 

I mostly listen to reggae and dancehall(like 80% of the time). Along with some rock, rap, hip hop and R&B. I like to feel that bass in my songs. So far the best earphones I've used are these Bose (http://compareindia.in.com/media/images/2007/jul/img_7051_bose_headphones.jpg)

May 8, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 5

Quote:

I believe the type of earphones I want would be called IEM? The type of earphones that go inside the ear like Skullcandy's earphones. Don't want the ones that hang outside and can fall out easily. 

Requirements
Budget is $30 max
Good noise isolation
Good bass (but wont make overall quality suffer for bass)
Good build (not something cheap that shorts out b/c of wires like Skullcandy)

A pair of IEM earphones shaped a bit like Skullcandy when it comes to comfort. Doesn't have to be identical to Skullcandy shape though. I dont like the lack of noise isolation from JVC earphones. I was interested in the M9 after reading some reviews found that the cable makes alot of noise when moving, which I'm trying to avoid when it comes to cable design. 

I mostly listen to reggae and dancehall(like 80% of the time). Along with some rock, rap, hip hop and R&B. I like to feel that bass in my songs. So far the best earphones I've used are these Bose (http://compareindia.in.com/media/images/2007/jul/img_7051_bose_headphones.jpg)

OK, to start, even skullcandy headphones make cable noise, so if you were fine with the cable noise that Skullcandy headphones made, you'll be fine with the M9's cable noise.  The MEElectronics M6 (same driver as M9) have close to no cable noise (some would even go so far to say none).  They have a good amount of bass that is quality and have good durability for the price.  They can be found anywhere from 15 dollars all the way up to 30.  If you have an iPod/iPhone, I suggest getting the M6p or M9p if you want that type of sound.

Quick question, when you say good bass, do you mean the quality of the bass or the quantity.  The M6 (and I assume M9) have a good amount of both.  Both are as comfortable. 

There are also other headphones, however, I haven't tried too many headphones, but have tried the M6s.  Others may suggest other headphones.  I hear the SoundMagic PL30 is also very good.  However, they are more balanced (so you'll hear less bass, compared to your Skullcandy), but it's actually the right amount of bass :p

May 8, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
OK, to start, even skullcandy headphones make cable noise, so if you were fine with the cable noise that Skullcandy headphones made, you'll be fine with the M9's cable noise.  The MEElectronics M6 (same driver as M9) have close to no cable noise (some would even go so far to say none).  They have a good amount of bass that is quality and have good durability for the price.  They can be found anywhere from 15 dollars all the way up to 30.  If you have an iPod/iPhone, I suggest getting the M6p or M9p if you want that type of sound.

Quick question, when you say good bass, do you mean the quality of the bass or the quantity.  The M6 (and I assume M9) have a good amount of both.  Both are as comfortable. 

There are also other headphones, however, I haven't tried too many headphones, but have tried the M6s.  Others may suggest other headphones.  I hear the SoundMagic PL30 is also very good.  However, they are more balanced (so you'll hear less bass, compared to your Skullcandy), but it's actually the right amount of bass :p

Thanks for your reply. I think I'll go with the M9 since they're a bit cheaper and I don't like the over-the-ear style of the M6. For good bass I mean quality, don't want so much that it sounds distorted. 

May 12, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 5
These headphones are great. The bass is good and packs a punch but doesn't get out of hand. There is no microphonics for me when listening to music. The isolation is also great, at 50% in a noisy lunchroom the chatter is cut down to like a whisper and at 70% I see lips moving when people are talking to me but no sounds.

May 12, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 5
Glad you like them.  I gave mine to my friend after getting the RE0s.  They are still a great pair of headphones :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back