Help buying a turntable (very very newbie)
Apr 13, 2010 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Pedro H.

Head-Fier
Hello, guys.
My knowledge about headphones is already limited. However, I simply don't know A THING about turntables. The only thing I know is that I really love the vinyl's sound and it really makes me crazy to buy a decent turntable. But I don't even know the differences between the models; I don't know if it depends on the genre you most listen; I don't even know why a turntable is a better option than another one. So, I'd like to, please, ask for your help. Even if you simply give me a newbie guide to get started on the "vinyl world", it would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry for my bad english and thank you!
wink_face.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #2 of 29
Pedro I speak Spanish if you like to continue outside headfi, there is a lot of myth in the TT audiophile world, in your shoes I would look for the Technics 1200 used, or even new, they are very good IMO as an entrance level TT...cartridge, and pre, and ....is what makes the more noticeable difference later on, get a good solid mechanical fundation first, and grow it up...

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 29
Hey, sorry for the wait, I was traveling and couldn't post here...
So, I'm looking forward about the Technics 1200 and it looks to be a very good turntable, and not that expensive... Any other suggestions?
Thank you guys!

Apr 25, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedro H. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, sorry for the wait, I was traveling and couldn't post here...
So, I'm looking forward about the Technics 1200 and it looks to be a very good turntable, and not that expensive... Any other suggestions?
Thank you guys!

If you are looking for a new budget table with an excellent motor board, the Technics 1200 is really the only choice. You could look for a used Thorens anything are a used heavy platter Lenco.

Apr 25, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #6 of 29
x4 for the Technics. 1210.

The only real competition at anything remotely close on price are the bottom of the range offerings from Rega & PRo-Ject. You might find you prefer the sound of one or the other or you might not.

Technics win in every other category. Ease of use and maintenance. Durability. Availability of spares, Resale value. Nowadays even Upgrade-ability if that's your bag.

Apr 26, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #8 of 29
The Technics is a good table, but I preferred the used Rega Planar 3 that I started with. I don't think you could go wrong with either, though.

If you want to read up on vinyl, read through the Vinyl Anachronist articles. You'll learn a lot.

Apr 28, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #9 of 29
Your english is very good. The more you use it,the better youll get.
The 1200 has been a standard for many years by DJs first, then audiophiles found them.
Its a good start!!!

Apr 30, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #10 of 29
Maybe look for some vintage turntables at local shops. Got my Pioneer for $10, got a new Audio Technica cartridge and headset for about $50 total. Love it. Though, I only use it for speakers and not headphones.

May 1, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by calvinandhobbes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not rying to thread hi-jack but what is an acceptable price to pay for technica 1200? Are specific models of technica better than others? for example is: SL-1200MK a good deal? OR do you look for older used models?

thanks

The 1200 MK2 is the one you want. The costlier models mostly add useless DJ options.

May 1, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 1200 has been a standard for many years by DJs first, then audiophiles found them.

At the risk of nit-picking the 1200 was originally designed as an audiophile/hi-fi deck that DJ's liked and Technics modified to better suit dj's as time went on. Thankfully the DJ demand was big enough to keep the 1200 in production for so long.

May 1, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Technics is a good table, but I preferred the used Rega Planar 3 that I started with. I don't think you could go wrong with either, though.

If you want to read up on vinyl, read through the Vinyl Anachronist articles. You'll learn a lot.

Also try Vinyl Engine | The Home of the Turntable

I probably couldn't disagree more with the recs for the Technics... but that is merely a matter of choice.

I'd second the Uncle Erik advice, for Rega Planar 2 or 3 (you can buy these with upgraded tonearms), a used Thorens is always a good way to go, as is a used Garrard, DUAL, Linn, Roksan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back