HELP! Burson HA-160DS hum/noise problem
Mar 28, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #31 of 63
FYI, I unplugged all the cables except AC and max the volume, I hear no noise, nothing at all. Even with USB cable connected with max volume on both PC and Burson, no noise at all.

I think you have defected amp.

Mar 28, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #32 of 63
My amp has been quiet for two days now. If it comes back I'll be contacting Burson though, I'm hoping that the problem resolved itself on it's own. I haven't done anything I can think of that would have fixed it; no burning smell or heat either. I'm still wondering if that was related or not.

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #33 of 63

My amp has been quiet for two days now. If it comes back I'll be contacting Burson though, I'm hoping that the problem resolved itself on it's own. I haven't done anything I can think of that would have fixed it; no burning smell or heat either. I'm still wondering if that was related or not.

How many hours do you use a day ? Mine is up for about good 6 hours a day (5 days a week) it's been almost 3 months so far

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #34 of 63
I usually leave it on 24/7 like Burson recommends, but with the static noise, the burning smell, and the casing getting hot to the touch I've been turning it off overnight when I remember. I probably actually listen to it 5 hours a day, and I've had it since late December. I didn't have any noise issues up until about 2-3 weeks ago.

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #35 of 63

I usually leave it on 24/7 like Burson recommends, but with the static noise, the burning smell, and the casing getting hot to the touch I've been turning it off overnight when I remember. I probably actually listen to it 5 hours a day, and I've had it since late December. I didn't have any noise issues up until about 2-3 weeks ago.

Really ?
I read on the manual warning users that the amp will get hot, so they mentioned to turn if off when it's not in use.

I usually turn it off when I leave my office.

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #36 of 63
I am returning the HA160DS because this static hum is really annoying and as for us audiophiles, we want to get the best sound out there and this didn't cut it, but hey, guess I'll be looking for another amp/dac combo.
Here is a few on my shortlist:
Auditor (needs DAC)
DACmini
Violectric v100/v200 + optional dac 24/96

One thing is for sure: I'll be missing the sound the HA160DS evoked in combination with my D7000s, I liked the energy and the warmth.

Another note to Canadian411: We get the hum without any source plugged in. I tried different circuits in my house and different outlets, to no avail unfortunately.

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #37 of 63
I think there're some defects in your 160DS, and too bad their email isn't helping at all (Matrix M-Stage is also class-A, it's far more cheaper than Burson, yet it give no hum at all even for my IEM). From my experience their email usually give good advice to help though.

I already try 160DS and 160D with some sensitive cans like ATH AD series or Grado series, and none of them produce hum, it's dead silent.

Mar 29, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #38 of 63
Ya mine is also dead silent.

Mar 29, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #39 of 63
It may have been defective but, in their e-mail Burson said this "noise pollution" was normal? Which doesn't give me much hope. It is obvious that if you are in the audiophile/high-end audio business, IMO, any noise is unacceptable you want the best sound possible and at this price range it's unbelievable. I got the DACMini now and it is deeaaaad silent also my FiiO E7/E9 old babies have always been quiet.

Mar 29, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #40 of 63

Quote:
It may have been defective but, in their e-mail Burson said this "noise pollution" was normal? Which doesn't give me much hope. It is obvious that if you are in the audiophile/high-end audio business, IMO, any noise is unacceptable you want the best sound possible and at this price range it's unbelievable. I got the DACMini now and it is deeaaaad silent also my FiiO E7/E9 old babies have always been quiet.

Thats what i call bad luck. 

You'll found defective products even on big companies. 

Jun 9, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #43 of 63
I have had Burson sound issues.  I think the device isn't particularly shielded well.  Taking some simple measures will get the noise out of the signal.

The first thing to do is lift the ground, and eliminate the possibility of a ground loop.  A ground lift is a 3-prong to 2-prong socket for your power cord (if you are in the u.s.)

Next is look for interference.  If you laptop is too close to the unit, the hard drive will introduce noise into the signal.  I have a drobo that can't be anywhere near the Burson or it will pick up noise off the drives spinning.  

Monitors-- I get a huge hum when my older Apple Cinema Display is plugged in.  If i take the monitor out-- the noise goes away.  It's probably on the same circuit as the Burson, not helping matters.  The Burson likes clean power (nothing else on its circuit).  The Burson HATES fluorescent lighting.  Don't use CFLs or any kind of fluorescent lighting anywhere around it.  

That should remove your hum.

Jun 10, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #44 of 63
Guys,

It's possible it's what you're plugging the mp into. My X-CANV8P it's really noisy with a constant static hiss id I plug it right in to the wall, but from my Monster surge protector/conditioner the noise is gone. It could always be the power itself and not the amp. 

Jun 11, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #45 of 63
No hiss/hum/noise here. I do hear slight static when I turn the volume knob. Not sure if this is normal or not.

Otherwise, fairly quiet when nothing is playing through it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back