Help, Burn in for Sennheiser IE8...how?
Jan 26, 2011 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Arsenalicorn

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

I purchased the Sennheiser IE8, and I need some information for burn in they.
biggrin.gif

I prepared a wave like this:

5 minutes of silence
10 minutes of Violet Noise
10 minutes of Blue Noise
10 minutes of White Noise
10 minutes of Pink Noise
10 minutes of Brown Noise
5 minutes of silence

total 60 minutes to be kept in the loop.

I know there are two opposing philosophies regarding the "burn in" about in-ear. So not knowing what is the right way, to be sure, I' ll put IE8 to burn in.

As the audio source, I would use the PC, but I do not know what volume to put it. The cowon i9 to 25/40 of vol., is comparable to the sound card, which was held to 20%. Could you give me some advice on this?

Also, I would like to know ... I can take the IEM in a continuous cycle of "burn in" or after a number of hours I have to put them to rest?

Sorry for my bad English, I'm Italian.
tongue.gif

Jan 26, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #3 of 8
I just plug the IEM's into my computer or ipod, and play random music through it all night (that's around 9 hours with no rest. Just keep the volume at normal listening level. Otherwise I use pink noise, although I don't think burning in with nosies or music makes any difference.

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #4 of 8
I just play pinknoise at slightly above listening level; let it play for the entire night, and rest it the day. I will let it run for about 200 hours to allow it settle. I think buning in make a big effect on sound of certain headphones.

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #6 of 8
Cool down is also very important when you're burning in your headphones, continuously burning them in with more hash sound such as pink noise at a higher volume can potentially damage the drivers if you set them to burn over a long time period.

The best way of burning in is still just simply listen to the headphones as you continue to use them, they will burn in correctly and there's little to no risk this way.

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Cool down is also very important when you're burning in your headphones, continuously burning them in with more hash sound such as pink noise at a higher volume can potentially damage the drivers if you set them to burn over a long time period.

The best way of burning in is still just simply listen to the headphones as you continue to use them, they will burn in correctly and there's little to no risk this way.

Sure, but I hold a middle volume, alternating minutes of noise with minutes of rest, + a playlist of different music in a continuous loop. I think we should not create damage to IE8, right?
blink.gif

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #8 of 8
Spend a couple of hours each night listening to music through them, and I imagine you will discover that they sound "burnt in" fairly quickly without any need for pink noise.  This was definitely my experience with the IE8's.  I don't totally dismiss the possibility of some physical break-in, but after spending a bit of time reading through the sound science forum, I think it may well be that your unconscious acclimation to (and enhanced appreciation of) the 'phones will be the primary basis for any perception that they have improved with time.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back