* Help: Best Inexpensive Tube (or SS?) Amp for AKG K702 *
Feb 17, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #106 of 114
Great!  I talked to Woo, and the WA6 is my next buy.  I will wait to get settled after my move, and then they said they can send it my way overseas for $100 (ouch).  I'm looking forward to it, and I think I might get the Q701 as I read a few reviews here that said it was a slightly improved K702, (which to me, is a slightly but importantly improved K701).

I really love how the K701 I had sounded on the Glow Audio Amp One, and am really looking forward to hearing and comparing the Woo.

I wish more people here used the Glow.  It seems to me at least to be a highly unappreciated amp.  Seems nobody has really used it at all... save myself.  What a waste.  It was/is a great amp, I just can't say that enough.  I'd sure love to hear more people's thoughts on it.

Feb 18, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #107 of 114

Quote:
Great!  I talked to Woo, and the WA6 is my next buy.  I will wait to get settled after my move, and then they said they can send it my way overseas for $100 (ouch).  I'm looking forward to it, and I think I might get the Q701 as I read a few reviews here that said it was a slightly improved K702, (which to me, is a slightly but importantly improved K701).

I really love how the K701 I had sounded on the Glow Audio Amp One, and am really looking forward to hearing and comparing the Woo.

I wish more people here used the Glow.  It seems to me at least to be a highly unappreciated amp.  Seems nobody has really used it at all... save myself.  What a waste.  It was/is a great amp, I just can't say that enough.  I'd sure love to hear more people's thoughts on it.

My thoughts on the Glow:

I've never heard it!

Sorry, I couldn't resist! LOL
wink_face.gif

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #109 of 114
I think you should buy a Pre-built Objective 2 Amp; $150-170 (depending on your choice of transformer) from JDS Labs.

I've been ecstatic with mine, but if you find that it's garbage, you're only out a small amount of money, and the demand for these is such that they hold their value well.

Plus they are quite portable (not as much as a lot of portable amps, but portable nonetheless).

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #110 of 114
Hi Tunblor,

you missed out.  Read up on the previous posts.  I did have an O2 and really appreciated it.  But I liked the M-Stage better, as it has more of a "warm" tube-like sound.  Though it sacrifices the accuracy and clarity of the O2.  The O2 was simply too cold for my taste.  Awesome amp though!

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #112 of 114
Hi Jhalf, welcome to Head-Fi!  And if nobody said already... sorry about your wallet! 
wink_face.gif

It really depends, totally, on what headphones you are using.  I never did get the WA6 for a similar reason - cost.  That, and I moved overseas.  Things have moved slowly for me, and I don't have a full-time job.  What else is new in this current crisis, right?  Anyway, when I get one, my hope is to get the WA6 and some AKG Q701s.  That is, if they match up well, I'll have to ask the forum again, I've forgotten.  Voltage matters with the AKG stuff, and I don't grasp that super well.  If not, I'll get a similar tube amp and the AKGs, which are my favorite headphones.

OK - the M Stage is a great amp, all things said.  Again, depending on your headphones.  But I think it will comfortably power just about anything, and it sounded great. 

FYI, the O2 I mentioned in my previous post is now up for sale again.  I haven't even had a chance to post an ad yet.  I will be selling it for around $125 including shipping, if you're interested.  It has an amazingly clear and detailed sound.  It is actually better sounding than the M Stage.  However, the M Stage as you'll note in my post has a "warmer" sound, which I liked better, personally.  Most people I think would like the O2, and if you like clean, clear sound with lots of detail and long sustain, you'll love it.  It is also extremely small, whereas the M Stage is one huge headphone amp!  The O2 will fit just about anywhere, including tucked away under your computer monitor, and is also portable somewhat.  (It can run on batteries).

The only flaw, and this is important, is that the face plate was not sealed around the knobs.  Hard to explain - I'm working on photos now.  But you can actually see inside of the amp through the faceplate, by looking at the volume knob etc.  The Head-Fi guy who made it did not put rubber seals around the knobs, for some reason.  So the knobs just kind of poke through the holes on the faceplate.  Great for ventilation of heat, but, not so sexy.  And the whole case is gold.  It honestly looks better than it does in the photos, but... you have to like gold.

Anyway, point is, I'm selling it for what I think is still a really great price for this amp, and I guarantee it as well.  Just cosmetically it is not the "best."  Let me know if you'd enjoy it.

Jan 8, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #113 of 114
I bought the k702 anniversaries over the weekend, so those are the phones i will be using. 

and i caved last night and bought an M-stage. Im sure it will be good enough for now. I'm sure i'll have a WA6 in the future, which matches up nicely from what everyone says.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back