** Help: Best cheapy-tide-me-over headphone amp for DT880 600 Ohm ? **
Jun 6, 2013 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Kouzelna

500+ Head-Fier
Hey all, finally got my friend to agree to upgrade from a pair of Dixie cups tied with a string to a real set of headphones, so I picked out a set of Beyerdynamic DT880 / 600 Ohm for him.  I told him how much he was gonna like 'em, and he will, but when I asked what amp he was planning to plug them into, he said rather casually...

"Oh, I'm just gonna plug them into my iPhone or computer."

But since we all know this action would precipitate the Armageddon and the end of the universe as we know it, I need some recommendations on cheap pocket amps <$100 or so, if possible, to tide him over until he recovers from his purchase and can get a real amp. 

(Wouldn't mind recommendations for that too, in the sub $400 range).

If it matters, we both like heavy metal and vocal trance when listening to headphones.  (Don't ask...)

Much appreciated! 
popcorn.gif

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
Hey all, finally got my friend to agree to upgrade from a pair of Dixie cups tied with a string to a real set of headphones, so I picked out a set of Beyerdynamic DT880 / 600 Ohm for him.  I told him how much he was gonna like 'em, and he will, but when I asked what amp he was planning to plug them into, he said rather casually...

"Oh, I'm just gonna plug them into my iPhone or computer."

But since we all know this action would precipitate the Armageddon and the end of the universe as we know it, I need some recommendations on cheap pocket amps <$100 or so, if possible, to tide him over until he recovers from his purchase and can get a real amp. 

(Wouldn't mind recommendations for that too, in the sub $400 range).

If it matters, we both like heavy metal and vocal trance when listening to headphones.  (Don't ask...)

Much appreciated! 
popcorn.gif

For 600 ohm, you will need something with power. Schiit Magni is one of the most powerful amp in under $100 range. Fiio E12 should also have enough power, if you want a portable amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back