Help! Amp for my Grado rs1i around 500/600 $
Jun 16, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #16 of 23
I think either one would serve you pretty well, but I can only speak from personal experience and the Slee is awesome. I doubt whether many people who say that the MAD is best for Grado have actually heard it.

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:
I think either one would serve you pretty well, but I can only speak from personal experience and the Slee is awesome. I doubt whether many people who say that the MAD is best for Grado have actually heard it.

I've heard the Slee, it was fine with Grados, but the MAD is spectacular!

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:
Thank you for your answer.
What did you hear it was exactly the Slee Ultra Linear Diamond Editon? Can you explain me in two words why you prefer the Mad and if the difference betwen the two amps is big?

The MAD takes the Grado "edge" off better than no amp, while still quick and dynamic.

Jan 15, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #22 of 23
  The MAD takes the Grado "edge" off better than no amp, while still quick and dynamic.

What a great way of putting it.

I feel it does that exactly.....same Grado sound...smooth with no rough edges, the MAD EAR is like taking a router to all the rough edges,and the finished product is pure satisfaction.
beerchug.gif

Jan 15, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #23 of 23
I'm really enjoying the darkvoice 337 with Tung-sol mesh plate drivers and 5998.  With output transformers it debunks the myth that Grados can't work with OTL amps.  Long ago I heard a WA6 with my RS1 and it was a really good pairing, although it was at a meet (noisy environment) so that opinion probably is not worth much.

Theres just not too many transformer coupled amps in this price range.  Not sure why that is, its like everyone is blindly copying each other with either OTL or hybrid designs.  Not enough IRON out there!!  Need more IRON in our Low-Z diets!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back