Help! Amp for my Grado rs1i around 500/600 $
May 26, 2013 at 11:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Bodycount

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I am going crazy reading the various treads in the forum to find out which is the amplifier, or amp+DAC combo, that best matches with my Rs1i around 500\600 $.

I also wrote to Gradolabs and they suggested me the Schiit Asgard II.
Many people speak well of the Little Dot 1 + but I wonder if I can find something more better although more expensive.
The reseller of the Little Dot suggest me the Audio GD nfb 1132 instead of LT Dot, but there are few info about it.
I know that the Mapletree and the Woo are really good but it'is really difficult to find them in Europe. I found only a Mapletree Audio Ear+ Purist HD used for 500 $. Is it a good bargain?
The reseller of the Burson told me that the 160 doesn't match well with grado.

as DAC I would have chosen the V dac II. how is it?
So, at the end can you suggest me which is the best amp (or amp+DAC combo) for my grado?

Thank you and sorry for my English

May 26, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 23
The asus essence one muses edition is what I'm considering their is an awesome review over at 6moons.com about this dac/amp check it out here's a link.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/asus/1.html

May 26, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #3 of 23
If Grado themselves recommended the Asgard 2 why not get that, it is way below your budget and a very nice amp besides. As far as your dac, it is good, just make sure you get the upgraded power supply for it, the stock one is barely adequate and you will get much better sound with a more powerful supply. I auditioned one and didn't like what I heard but (as I later found out) I was listening to it thru their Vcan headphone amp and it was the weak link in that setup. People who own both say the dac is pretty good but the amp not so much. The NFB 11.32 is also a nice unit, in fact I am seriously looking at getting one for myself. Main reason for me is it is all one unit, not 2 boxes to make room for.

May 26, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 23
When I was looking for the same exact thing I ended up getting the Graham Slee Novo. Tested it against some Firestone Audio's ~$300-600 DAC/Amp combos and Heed Audio stuff. Novo won by far. I even preferred it over the Solo Ultra-Linear. The tiny bit of coloration seemed to complement the RS1i nicely.

May 27, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #5 of 23
When I was looking for the same exact thing I ended up getting the Graham Slee Novo. Tested it against some Firestone Audio's ~$300-600 DAC/Amp combos and Heed Audio stuff. Novo won by far. I even preferred it over the Solo Ultra-Linear. The tiny bit of coloration seemed to complement the RS1i nicely.

Thank you for the answer.
The Graham Novo looks very interesting. Do you know the Graham Solo SRGII and the new Solo Ultra-Linear Diamond Edition? For you which is the best with the Rs1i?

May 28, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:
The Graham Novo looks very interesting. Do you know the Graham Solo SRGII and the new Solo Ultra-Linear Diamond Edition? For you which is the best with the Rs1i?

I only tested the Novo against the Ultra-Linear back then. Judging by the diamond image that was on its faceplate I think it was the Diamond Edition too. As far as I remember the sound was somewhat cleaner and more crisp, though for me it also sounded a little bit more dry and not as engaging. Never tested the SRGII but judging by what's written around the internet it has a more similar sound signature to the Novo. Out of those two I'd probably pick that one if I was looking for an upgrade.

EDIT: I'll also add that neither of the Solos allow analog in & out for sound though, so you better have a multiple output source if you're gonna use either of them alongside any sort of a speaker system.

May 28, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #7 of 23
The asus essence one muses edition is what I'm considering their is an awesome review over at 6moons.com about this dac/amp check it out here's a link.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/asus/1.html

It's certainly a nice amp/dac combo but I think that it's over my budget. Other problem; I need an analog line in for the cd-player. Instead it has only digital imputs. do you think that however it goes well with headphones like Rs1 or it goes better with headphones like T1 or Hd800?

May 28, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #8 of 23
If Grado themselves recommended the Asgard 2 why not get that, it is way below your budget and a very nice amp besides. As far as your dac, it is good, just make sure you get the upgraded power supply for it, the stock one is barely adequate and you will get much better sound with a more powerful supply. I auditioned one and didn't like what I heard but (as I later found out) I was listening to it thru their Vcan headphone amp and it was the weak link in that setup. People who own both say the dac is pretty good but the amp not so much. The NFB 11.32 is also a nice unit, in fact I am seriously looking at getting one for myself. Main reason for me is it is all one unit, not 2 boxes to make room for.

Hi,
So, for you is the Asgard the best amp for the Rs1 under the 600 $?
Can you explain me how I can get the upgraded power supply for the V Dac II?
I wrote for info to the audio GD.
They answered me this mail that could be useful also for you:

This NFB 15.32 is cheaper.
Its sound is a little on warm side and smooth, maybe better with the RS
headphone.
If you want the sound more neutral you could prefer the Compass 384

---------------------
For me the Compass 384 could be more interesting because I need an analog line-in for the cd player that the NFB 15.32 and the NFB 11.32 don't have.

Thanks

May 28, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:
Hi,
So, for you is the Asgard the best amp for the Rs1 under the 600 $?
Can you explain me how I can get the upgraded power supply for the V Dac II?
I wrote for info to the audio GD.
They answered me this mail that could be useful also for you:

This NFB 15.32 is cheaper.
Its sound is a little on warm side and smooth, maybe better with the RS
headphone.
If you want the sound more neutral you could prefer the Compass 384

For me the Compass 384 could be more interesting because I need an analog line-in for the cd player that the NFB 15.32 and the NFB 11.32 don't have.

Thanks

I can't say the Asgard 2 is the BEST amp as I haven't heard one with the RS1i phones, but I would think if Grado said it was good, you will not be disappointed. Power supply for the Vdac, well they sell their own called the V-PSU Mk II or if you look at audioadvisor.com they sell a combo pack which has the Vdac and an even better power supply (according to them). I only heard the demo system at the store and as I said I couldn't really start swapping things around. Based on what a couple friends told me it was most likely the Amp causing the lifeless sound I was hearing more so than the dac or power supply. They were using the V-PSU power supply in the store, I think it can power 2 or 3 of their products at the same time (supposedly). You can always just use the stock power supply, then if you don't like what you hear, upgrade to one of the other supplys. I kind of like the package deal at AA but nothing says you can't buy the same power supply at a later date or get the one Musical Fidelity sells, if they make it, one would think at least THEY think it improves the sound of their products.

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #11 of 23
Easy...the best amp by far for the RS1i's that I've heard is the MAD Ear+HD (and its in your price range...especially used).

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:
RUBBISH! The Slee is much better (and it's got nothing to do with the fact that I'm trying to flog him one)
biggrin.gif

tongue.gif

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #15 of 23
So, what is definitely the best amp among the Graham Solo Ultra Linear Diamond and the MAD Ear+Hd with the Rs1i, but that in a future I could use with other brands of headphones (SH, Audeze or Beyer)?
Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back