Help!!! Akg k271 mk-2 OR Shure Srh-840 OR ath900x
Aug 22, 2013 at 8:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

shreya1515

New Head-Fier
Please suggest phones for good mids and balanced sound. I mostly listen to classic rock,indie,hard rock,etc. Have to use them for casual listening. I'm totally new at this and just want the best i can get out of my music. Comfort and portability important. From what i've gathered from reading this forum is that all 3 of these have excellent and balanced sound quality. But the k271 is more studio centric so maybe too neutral for casual listening and akgs focus more on the treble. And the a900x design seems to make it unsuitable for portability. And as for the shures, The more i read the forum, the more confused i get .Don't have them available for demo in my country, so will have to take your word for it. So please help!

Aug 22, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 3
I have the k271 mk2 and it really needs an amp to squeeze out it's full potential. 
it has fast and accurate bass. but a lot of people will say it's lacking which i agree with. It actually depends on your taste to be honest.
Some say it has rolled off highs but I disagree, it has sparkly highs but can be sibilant at times.
As you have researched, I can confirm that the K271 could be too "neutral"/boring due to the lack of bass for a lot of people, also without a good amp it will be very "meh".

The SRH840 has very nice mids but I personally also think that it lacks bass and is quite heavy.
A good thing however is that it doesn't need an amp as bad as the K271 and in my opinion would be liked by more people.
I have only tried it for a few minutes so take it with a grain of salt.

In comparison to K271 the SRH 840 is more rugged and more well built, but also heavier.
However a feature that k271 has that the SRH840 doesn't is the self adjusting headband that auto-mutes when not worn; which i reckon is quite nice :)

I haven't tried A900x but always wanted to try it.
I chose the K271 over SRH840 simply cause it was lighter and cheaper at the time i bought it.
I was unimpressed with it for a while until I bought a tube amp and changed it's earpads so... yeah. 
I can't emphasize how underwhelming the K271's are out of the box, but pair it right and it will really shine

Hope this helps you decide, at least between the AKG and SHURE 
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back