Help a rookie replacing and upgrading from old Sennheiser HDR 170
Apr 8, 2024 at 9:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

gskov138

New Head-Fier
Hi all, new member and wannabe audiophile after some help!

I have used and loved a set of Sennheiser HDR 170s for my PC for 9 or 10 years now but its time to replace them - starting to physically fall apart. Am hoping to find an upgrade or comparable more modern product? However google research and my basic understanding of sound quality leaves much to be desired.

• So I am a massive fan of the wireless (rather than bluetooth) connectivity of these, the charging dock is actually a pro for me, not a fan of needing to plug in a cable every time to charge
  • Large battery life needed, I work from home and then often play games into the evening so having 18+ hour battery life is essential
  • Not necessarily noise cancelling - happy for the new pair to have the feature but will almost always have it turned off. Need to be able to hear dangerous sounds, like the wife calling...
  • Listen to music, watch films and play games through these headphones, keen on (correct my terminology here!) strong bass
  • Budget £300-400 (would push to £500 for something life changing!)
So from googling options can see obvious options are the other Sennheiser models, RS 175-U and RS 195, which I can't personally tell much apart. Struggling to find many other 'true' wifi headphones, most seem to be bluetooth, which opens such a large range I find myself getting lost! But if going that route, an alternative set I have seen recommended are the Sony WF-1000XM4 but again, I can't tell how they would sound vs my current set.
So are the current gen headphones competitive through bluetooth - how does the sound quality compare? I do need it to be wireless as I have to move about the room I work in often while on a call (have a detachable antlion mic so don't want PC/gaming headphones that come with one)

thanks

Apr 8, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #2 of 2
Sure, the Sony's are good, though they're up to the XM5 now - the XM4 is older. Shure makes a good headset, the Aonic 50 Gen 2. Sennheiser also makes a good headset, the Sennheiser Momentum 4. Audiotechnica M50X BT. Etc. Hope that helps.
Hi all, new member and wannabe audiophile after some help!

I have used and loved a set of Sennheiser HDR 170s for my PC for 9 or 10 years now but its time to replace them - starting to physically fall apart. Am hoping to find an upgrade or comparable more modern product? However google research and my basic understanding of sound quality leaves much to be desired.

• So I am a massive fan of the wireless (rather than bluetooth) connectivity of these, the charging dock is actually a pro for me, not a fan of needing to plug in a cable every time to charge
  • Large battery life needed, I work from home and then often play games into the evening so having 18+ hour battery life is essential
  • Not necessarily noise cancelling - happy for the new pair to have the feature but will almost always have it turned off. Need to be able to hear dangerous sounds, like the wife calling...
  • Listen to music, watch films and play games through these headphones, keen on (correct my terminology here!) strong bass
  • Budget £300-400 (would push to £500 for something life changing!)
So from googling options can see obvious options are the other Sennheiser models, RS 175-U and RS 195, which I can't personally tell much apart. Struggling to find many other 'true' wifi headphones, most seem to be bluetooth, which opens such a large range I find myself getting lost! But if going that route, an alternative set I have seen recommended are the Sony WF-1000XM4 but again, I can't tell how they would sound vs my current set.
So are the current gen headphones competitive through bluetooth - how does the sound quality compare? I do need it to be wireless as I have to move about the room I work in often while on a call (have a detachable antlion mic so don't want PC/gaming headphones that come with one)

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back