help a "newbie" choose some IEM's
Apr 23, 2011 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

fsuguy92

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'll start out with some background so you know what I'm working with. I'm a music major at Florida State University, a saxophonist, so I definitely appreciate "accurately reproduced" music. I'm on a pretty tight budget (around $100) and want to get something that's going to reproduce my music accurately. I listen to a very wide variety of music from hip-hop, to jazz, to classical and everything in between (besides country). I'm not a "bass head" but prefer a supported sound rather than a boomy oversaturated sound. 

I just bought the ER6i's and love the separation and fidelity they offer, however I find the lower end of the midrange to be extremely easy to distort, specifically on drum hits. I'm now looking at the HF5's and the Phonak PFE's. Just wondering what you all think of those for what I'm looking for and if there is something else you'd recommend, feel free!

I really appreciate your advice! 

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 5
You could check out the RE-ZERO, it retails at exactly $100.  It's very accurate from what I understand, with an extremely flat frequency response.  Some people feel it can sound a bit "anemic," lacking in bass.  But it seems that shouldn't be too much of a problem for you.

If you want to bump up another $50, there's the vsonic GR07.  It's designed to be used as a stage monitor, and as such has very balanced, non-fatiguing sound.  You should read up on the reviews on head-fi for these and see what you think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back