Help a newb out!
May 17, 2012 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ecupirate44

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of headphones, but I haven't found anything I like. Here's what i'm looking for

1. Under 250
  2. Not a long cord
  3. Not too big
  4. Can run off an iPhone without an amp and sound good.
  5. Sound isolating/ no leakage.

I tried the Sennheiser 439's and wasn't impressed with build or sound quality. With my volume all the way up, it still wasn't overly loud. I listen to hip hop and rap if that helps. 

May 17, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 19
The ATH-m50. Due to the relatively simplistic structure of hip hop, these will handle it well. They have a decent amount of bass, though somewhat recessed mids, though that shouldn't be terribly noticeable. 

May 17, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:
The ATH-m50. Due to the relatively simplistic structure of hip hop, these will handle it well. They have a decent amount of bass, though somewhat recessed mids, though that shouldn't be terribly noticeable. 

Great, thanks for your recommendation. Do you think there are any models made by AKG, Sennheiser, or Beyerdynamic would fit my needs?

May 17, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #4 of 19
The Ultrasone HFI-580 are commonly a go to can for quality bass, I havn't heard them before. Though I hear many good things about them (They look sexy too, if you like shiny stuff.) Also, the beyerdynami DT770 are good, though you might need an amp.

May 17, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 19
check out the klipsch image reference....the upgraded version to klipsch image one.

May 17, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #8 of 19
Try ATH ESW9? I think they most likely fit your criteria.

- under 250usd
- short cord
- not big
- sounds good unamped, and it fits your genre
- although theres a bit of a problem with isolation for a closed headphone
- looks gorgeous

You can buy used in the FS section if a brand new pair costs more than 250usd.

May 17, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:
Try ATH ESW9? I think they most likely fit your criteria.

- under 250usd
- short cord
- not big
- sounds good unamped, and it fits your genre
- although theres a bit of a problem with isolation for a closed headphone
- looks gorgeous

You can buy used in the FS section if a brand new pair costs more than 250usd.

Thanks for your recommendation, but i'm not a fan of the wood. Aesthetically I really like the AKG 142's and the reviews tend to be positive. Does any one have any experience with these?

May 17, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #13 of 19
AKG has a flat sound, so neutral cans and made especially for studio stuff. They have clean bass though, but I won't recommand AKG for what you're listening. Plus they are semi-open, so I think they won't isolate as you would like. 

I agree with the Ultrasone HFI-580

DT 770 are definility better with an amp due to their 80 ohm, especially for bass boost. 

May 17, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:
Thanks for your recommendation, but i'm not a fan of the wood. Aesthetically I really like the AKG 142's and the reviews tend to be positive. Does any one have any experience with these?

dang, oh well. if you can find a used ES10 at around 250, that would fit for you as well. the k142 doesn't have enough bass punch for your genres, IMO. they are also semi-open and it will leak and doesn't really isolate.

Quote:
Could the 80 OHM version run without an amp? 

yup. it can.

edit: what about sennheiser hd25 1-II ?

May 17, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:
AKG has a flat sound, so neutral cans and made especially for studio stuff. They have clean bass though, but I won't recommand AKG for what you're listening. Plus they are semi-open, so I think they won't isolate as you would like. 

I agree with the Ultrasone HFI-580

DT 770 are definility better with an amp due to their 80 ohm, especially for bass boost. 

Whats your take on the Audio Technica ATH-M50 for my use? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back