Help a newb out with a setup
Jan 19, 2013 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TheNuge

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to invest in a good portable setup. I need something light and compact because I want to use this mostly for working out. It needs to fit in a pocket fairly comfortably, or be able to clip onto a waistband or an arm. I've been using my old Iphone 4 as an Ipod since I've upgraded my phone to a Note 2. I've been using the crappy Apple earbuds because I ran over my Shures with my motorcycle.

I'm looking for a whole new setup. I want one of the new Ipod Nanos because of their size, and 16 gigs is enough for me for what I need it for. For earphones I'm looking at either Vsonic GR07's or Yamaha EPH-100SL's. I need help with the amp part. The FiiO Alisan E01 looks interesting but I don't see them for sale anywhere. What's the opinion on these? Is there a better option for something that's light and portable? I see a lot of people on here with Ipod's banded together with E11's and stuff like that but that seems like a bulky setup. I've never had a sound level problem with my Iphones/Ipods but I'm looking to improve the sound quality.

Jan 19, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #2 of 4
Do not get an Apple iPod, get a Sandisk Sansa Clip+, the Yamahas have an odd treble but you will get used to it and a PA2V2 amplifier will get you a good sound as well. make sure to Rockbox the Sansa Clip+ to get a better sound for it and thats all i can advise.

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Whey the Sansa over the Ipod? How's the compatibility with Itunes? I use a Mac and that's where all my music is.

Why the Sansa? Well, the Sansa is far cheaper.

The "new" iPod Nano... The "new" ipod, is actually not the one I think you mean. The 6th generation, is about a square inch with a touch screen. The newest, is the 7th generation, and is shaped like an iTouch. Has a lightning.

How's the compatibility with iTunes? The Sansa will not sync with iTunes, but you can drag and drop songs onto it. It also has a microSD card slot.

As far as an amp goes. The amp you mentioned will not work with the latest iPod Nano (it has a lightning connector) or the Clip+ (no apple dock) It will work with the 6th generation Nano.
You can use something like the E11 with the Clip+ if you really want an amp. It is double amping, but not a big deal with the Clip+ low output impedance. 

You frankly don't really need an amp for IEMs. They just don't need the extra power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back